Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds

lefeury

Rinkside
Rabid, I did not pick a side in my comment, I only said that in my experience, those are 2 different approaches. I have my preferences but I didn't argue that one approach is better than another. People will like what they will like. It was my job to help them perform their best no matter which way they learned.
I don't perceive that all of us are going to like the same things, just that all types of expression are ok and no need to say someone is not as good as another based on musicality. I don't like people flinging that around. Judges have their own preferences as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
chuck, you magically don't seem to have have the same concerns for Polina Edmunds nor for girls who haven't even gone through their 15 year growth spurt.

You just keep wanting to put Yulia in this box and discreding all her wins while desperately hoping for anything to derail her career.

You ought to read chuckm's post again:

I don't see that it's disrespectful to say that Yulia isn't past puberty yet. Let's face it: Mao Asada's skating was far smoother, lighter and easier in 2006 than it was in 2010 and 2014, and her 3a was certainly more secure. She was 15 in 2006 and didn't get much taller, and not much fuller in the body, but her body did change, and the changes did affect her skating.

Yulia's skating is light, smooth and easy now, and deserving of accolades. Whether she can continue with the same degree of success for the next four years remains to be seen.

That doesn't sound like he's discrediting her career or achievements.

I agree that it's hard to know what will happen in the next four years. A lot can happen to anyone, be it puberty, injury, just about anything. For now, Julia is looking pretty good.

And people have the puberty ? about Polina as well.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

RABID

Final Flight
Rabid, I did not pick a side in my comment, I only said that in my experience, those are 2 different approaches. I have my preferences but I didn't argue that one approach is better than another. People will like what they will like. It was my job to help them perform their best no matter which way they learned.
I don't perceive that all of us are going to like the same things, just that all types of expression are ok and no need to say someone is not as good as another based on musicality. I don't like people flinging that around. Judges have their own preferences as well.

Actually I reread your comment after I submitted my comment and noticed you did include "tried and true". But so often that phrase is merely a filler; a throw away line. In your case it obviously wasn't. For that I apologize.

shine

Record Breaker
What would you like to talk about instead if discussion on musicality is so beneath you? Actually, I wonder why skaters should even bother having music when they skate if musicality is so unimportant?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the talk about musicality was a little overboard. Because as Mathman said, these young girls might not know much about music as aldults, but they can jump 3S better than us. Simple as that. No need to dig too deep.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
What would you like to talk about instead if discussion on musicality is so beneath you? Actually, I wonder why skaters should even bother having music when they skate if musicality is so unimportant?

I don't think any of who have commented on musicality want to dismiss it, rather we are trying to illustrate the point that anyone who simply states like it's a fact, "Yulia is not musical." "Polina is not musical." Gracie is not musical." etc. are not realizing that how you see being musical is colored by your opinions, your perspectives.

People who say these absolute truths are not simply saying they don't like a skater, or don't like the way he/she skates to music, instead they are denigrating the opinions of everyone who does think such a skater is musical (because they respond to their vision of the music) and that is hard to take. Not only because you are insulting their favorite(s) skater(s), but also because those posters are trivializing/insulting us. Musicality is viewed through the biases a person holds, based on part of one's self, so I know I at least take it very personally.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think any of who have commented on musicality want to dismiss it, rather we are trying to illustrate the point that anyone who simply states like it's a fact, "Yulia is not musical." "Polina is not musical." Gracie is not musical." etc. are not realizing that how you see being musical is colored by your opinions, your perspectives.

People who say these absolute truths are not simply saying they don't like a skater, or don't like the way he/she skates to music, instead they are denigrating the opinions of everyone who does think such a skater is musical (because they respond to their vision of the music) and that is hard to take. Not only because you are insulting their favorite(s) skater(s), but also because those posters are trivializing/insulting us. Musicality is viewed through the biases a person holds, based on part of one's self, so I know I at least take it very personally.
:thumbsup: All of this, very much.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The technical demands Carol faced in her time were as difficult for her as the technical demands of today are for today's skaters. The sport advances, and it is hardly fair to condemn a skater from the past for not not doing what is being done today. Carol was the first female skater to land a double axel in competition.

Skaters of that era also had to spend many hours practicing figures. Figures were 60% of the score back when Heiss was skating.