Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Prefer Polina as well, same reason as above. Musicality plays a huge role in my figure skating preferences. Yulia is pretty and has "wow" spins, but I often lost my attention while even watch her SL, because she skate through music...

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I've been a figure skating fan for several decades now and I based on watching figure skating for years I believe Julia has a body type and musicality that are better received by a majority of fans and judges compared to the body type and musicality of Polina. I know this is a sweeping generalization. To combat this I think Polina and her support team need to do a much better job of packaging her (including more mature hair, make up, and costumes and less generic music) so that she will seem less like the awkward Bambi and more like a polished, elegant athlete. In terms of who is better, right now Julia is the more successful of the two hands down. But time will tell which of the two will have a better career. They are both about to have the weight of expectations of fans and their federations to contend with, Julie experienced this some last year but for Polina it will be a new experience. I also think time will tell how much taller they each will become and how much weight they each will gain over the next few years which ultimately will have an impact on their figure skating (I know this isn't popular to discuss but it is a reality). Personally, I like them both, although I am more drawn to Julia. However, I will be surprised (pleasantly surprised) if either lady is ranked #1 for their country by the time 2018 rolls around.

Barb

Record Breaker
They are great, but the new programs :love: of Polina made me to have big expectations with her, I wish the best to both of them. I can not wait for this new season :yay:

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I agree that the coming few seasons will be critical for her. Her 'colt' like long elegant limbs create a delicacy that is enchanting. As is inevitable as she matures, hopefully her skating will evolve in synchrony.

With Julia, her flexibility has been a source of awe for years but I perpetually find myself worrying about injuries. Hope she can avoid them.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yulia has this star factor,the "watch me" quality to her. Polina lacks it. When you watch young Mao and Yuna, you know that they are something special - the same goes to Yulia for me:) the matter of preferance only

I agree with you for now but I think Polina has the potential star quality because she exudes a a tough, positive and and confident attitude. We'll just have to see she can develop that sort of magneticism that is hard to define.

Imagine

Medalist
Polina is a great athlete and has all the potential to become a star, but Yulia Lipnitskaya is a star. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It took Lipnitskaia 3 years to become a star. Polina has been competing for only one.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It took Lipnitskaia 3 years to become a star. Polina has been competing for only one.

Which is why comparing them is not very productive IMO. Yulia is the highest ranked female skater still competing and she worked very hard for it. Polina skated in two senior ISU events and is yet to turn in a clean competition while Yulia has more clean competitions without falls than not nor has she ever finished lower than fifth with the olympics the only ISU event she didnt medal in. The experience alone makes comparing the two kind of pointless to me. Do you think apples or oranges are better?

starlight97

Final Flight

I'm sorry but this is completely wrong.
The fist time I saw Polina completing was in 2011 and that's only the first time that I saw her, maybe she's been competing for even more time.
Further more I don't think "stardom" is sth that should/could be really discussed here cause

if it was about that, there wouldn't be any discussion needed.
I think this is very obvious who is better known/ more popular.
That's not what makes a great skater, and these two both have many other things that make them shine :)
But like I already said and others have stated: They are different levels, different waters.It really is well said "like comparing apples and oranges"

Icey

Record Breaker
Yulia put it all out there too soon imo. She was packaged so brilliantly last season one can't help but wonder " Where does she have to go now?" I suspect jumps will become somewhat problematic for her and that unrealistic expectations will lead to disappointment. So Yulia stagnant and , perhaps, declining some and Polina moving upward somewhat. That being said, Polina's choice of lp music for this season does nothing for her and doesn't make for something memorable, no matter how well she skates to it. What was her team thinking?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia put it all out there too soon imo. She was packaged so brilliantly last season one can't help but wonder " Where does she have to go now?" I suspect jumps will become somewhat problematic for her and that unrealistic expectations will lead to disappointment. So Yulia stagnant and , perhaps, declining some and Polina moving upward somewhat. That being said, Polina's choice of lp music for this season does nothing for her and doesn't make for something memorable, no matter how well she skates to it. What was her team thinking?

Yes....they should both just quit. :rolleye:

Amei

Record Breaker
Yulia put it all out there too soon imo. She was packaged so brilliantly last season one can't help but wonder " Where does she have to go now?" I suspect jumps will become somewhat problematic for her and that unrealistic expectations will lead to disappointment. So Yulia stagnant and , perhaps, declining some

Here we go again - Yulia and puberty :bang: I think she is a skater that will fight back if puberty becomes a problem; 2 seasons ago she dealt with a growth spurt; she came back the following season better.

papa

Match Penalty
I know their has been some opinions on who is better.
Basic facts from Wikipedia, helpful in discussion:
Yulia Vyacheslavovna Lipnitskaya (Russian: Ю́лия Вячесла́вовна Липни́цкая,[6] Russian: [ˈjulʲɪjə vʲɪt͡ɕɪˈslävɐvnə lʲɪpˈnit͡skɐjə], [YOO-li-yə lip-NEETS-ka-yə]; born 5 June 1998) is a Russian figure skater.

Senior medals:
- 2014 Olympic champion in the team event,
- 2014 World silver medalist
- 2014 European champion
- 2013 Grand Prix Final silver medalist,
- 2014, 2012 Russian national silver medalist,
- 2012 Russian national silver medalist,
- 2012, 2013 Finlandia Trophy golden medalist,
- 2013 Skate Canada golden medalist,
- 2013 Cup of Russia golden medalist,
- 2012 Trophée Éric Bompard bronze medalist,
- 2012 Cup of China silver medalist.

Junior medals:
- 2012 World Junior champion,
- 2013 World Junior silver medalist,
- 2011 Junior Grand Prix golden medalist,
- 2012 Russian Junior champion,
- 2011 JGP Italy golden medalist,
- 2011 JGP Poland golden medalist.
Polina Edmunds (born May 18, 1998) is an American figure skater.

Senior medals:
- 2014 U.S. national silver medalist.

Junior medals:
- 2013 U.S. Junior champion,
- 2013 JGP Mexico City golden medalist,
- 2013 JGP Belarus golden medalist.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would not be a rational thing to do. Even with small decline or stagnancy (Yulia) or small improvement (Polina), they would still be among the best, so no reason to quit.

Ok. I agree its just you seemed so doom and gloom. Me personally....outside of Yulia and Elena.....Polina might be the only other female skater that I would consider getting in a plane and booking a trip to go see. Just saying....I never and still don't feel that way about Gracie.

Now if Mao returns.....:yay:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry but this is completely wrong.
The fist time I saw Polina completing was in 2011 and that's only the first time that I saw her, maybe she's been competing for even more time.
Further more I don't think "stardom" is sth that should/could be really discussed here cause

if it was about that, there wouldn't be any discussion needed.
I think this is very obvious who is better known/ more popular.
That's not what makes a great skater, and these two both have many other things that make them shine :)
But like I already said and others have stated: They are different levels, different waters.It really is well said "like comparing apples and oranges"

OK. Yulia has been competing INTERNATIONALLY for 3 years, Polina has been competing INTERNATIONALLY for only one. :p

You don't become a STAR by competing at home.

noskates

Record Breaker
I realize people just want something to discuss and be contentious about but this is a pretty silly discussion if you're talking about the future. No one knows how either of these young ladies is going to do and it's all speculation. For me, time on the international scene doesn't mean anything if your program sucks or you can't skate it. I think both girls have already gone through puberty and had their growth spurt so that shouldn't be an issue. They are not 12 or 13 year olds. Both of them are gifted skaters but both will have packaging issues this year. For Yulia it's going to be hard to come back from the iconic Schindler's List. She made a powerful statement with that program but it was almost too old for her. For Polina, she was outfitted like a little girl with silly braids in her hair and forgettable music. Hopefully her team will step up this year. We all know it isn't just the skating skills anymore.

I'm anxious to see how both of them do and then discuss it.

papa

Match Penalty
More important than all of above are quotes I read, hear, watch all the time - for example on TV:
- "We haven't really followed figure skating till now, but with Yulia we have to now, don't we? (laughter)" - older couple on the street,
- "I would like to win gold medal spinning on ice like Yulia (smile)" - little girl on the rink,
or internet:
- "I know nothing about skating, but this girl is so cool!",
- "God bless you for posting subs. She has so many fans in North American. Spasibo!!!",
- "I don't watch figure skating, but I watch her."

^This^ is maybe greatest victory of Yulia Lipnitskaya.
And not only hers.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's interesting that Sotnikova is recorded as the OGM-er, but Julia is still the darling of the Russian skating world/more popular.