Kevin Reynolds | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Kevin Reynolds

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I feel like a jackass for saying this, but FSUniverse is saying he does not have the SP minimum TES for worlds this year. Umm what's up with that? I think he would still be able to get it at 4C but stressful and a headache. Did they raise it that much from the Olympics, or did a qualifying score age out maybe?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like a jackass for saying this, but FSUniverse is saying he does not have the SP minimum TES for worlds this year. Umm what's up with that? I think he would still be able to get it at 4C but stressful and a headache. Did they raise it that much from the Olympics, or did a qualifying score age out maybe?

I think they're right. I bet with FINALLY getting boots that WORK he can do it at the 4CC. Which could mean worlds. But seriously. They need to give him a break. He's SUPER close. Yeah. They did raise it. :( I'm hoping he'll be able to go. Last season was a mess. And this season started off that, but it MIGHT be looking up.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think they're right. I bet with FINALLY getting boots that WORK he can do it at the 4CC. Which could mean worlds. But seriously. They need to give him a break. He's SUPER close. Yeah. They did raise it. :( I'm hoping he'll be able to go. Last season was a mess. And this season started off that, but it MIGHT be looking up.

I was not sure if it got raised as the issue or maybe an old score he used to use was now too old. I mean he landed two quads at 4Cs how can that not get the minimum? I assumed it was likely too old. Isn't it the past two seasons that is looked at for minimum? I don't know how long an old score can be used to qualify.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Okay, fingers crossed for him to have a good skate, now that the boot problems are somewhat sorted out.

Oh, ouch. Maybe it's because he was derailed by problems last year, only competed a few times, and all those SPs were... bad. :hopelessness: Does he have to go to 4CC to get it, or is there another eligible competition somewhere?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was not sure if it got raised as the issue or maybe an old score he used to use was now too old. I mean he landed two quads at 4Cs how can that not get the minimum? I assumed it was likely too old. Isn't it the past two seasons that is looked at for minimum? I don't know how long an old score can be used to qualify.

It has to be from this season or last season IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And last season, his highest was 0.02 short of the minimum. However, he still has the 4CC before Worlds. So....if he gets 34+ on the TES for the SP, hopefully that'll be enough.

He and Nam are Canada's top two guys in a way.

I feel more confident in him than I have been since February of March of last year. Today has been a good day.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Okay, fingers crossed for him to have a good skate, now that the boot problems are somewhat sorted out.

Oh, ouch. Maybe it's because he was derailed by problems last year, only competed a few times, and all those SPs were... bad. :hopelessness: Does he have to go to 4CC to get it, or is there another eligible competition somewhere?

I think it is only 4C. But really after a non-season 4Cs maybe a good idea for practice anyway. I would say any USA guy that did not have a GP assignment (and frankly Josh Farris as well) would be wise to go as well for a bit of a warm up. Point is, he may have been planning to go anyway, and going really is not the end of the world or a bad thing.

Just highly, highly stressful.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it is only 4C. But really after a non-season 4Cs maybe a good idea for practice anyway. I would say any USA guy that did not have a GP assignment (and frankly Josh Farris as well) would be wise to go as well for a bit of a warm up. Point is, he may have been planning to go anyway, and going really is not the end of the world or a bad thing.

Just highly, highly stressful.

Plus in case anyone forgot, the last time he did the 4CC in 2013, he won. And Hanyu isn't doing it this year. Plus Machida retired. European skaters are at Europeans, and Idk, but there's a BIT less competition than there was. But still....ehhhhhhh.....

There's more...chance for placing I mean...

ice coverage

Record Breaker

B/c you're a stickler for detail, Stitch :):

The problem remains the same re KR needing the minimum for 2015 Worlds.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. If I am not mistaken:
The TES minimums for Worlds last year and this year are almost exactly the same.
The TES minimums for the Olympics were (by intention, presumably) much lower.​

And yes, the minimums have to be met during the current season or the past season.​

Good luck to KR. Glad to hear that his boot problems have been solved.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Plus in case anyone forgot, the last time he did the 4CC in 2013, he won. And Hanyu isn't doing it this year. Plus Machida retired. European skaters are at Europeans, and Idk, but there's a BIT less competition than there was. But still....ehhhhhhh.....

There's more...chance for placing I mean...
Am I... detecting a slight hope that Kevin could take back his 4CC title? :) Maybe it's being too hopeful, since we don't know what form he'll be in. But when he skates at his best...

There's still competition, from three Japanese men (including the defending champion, Takahito Mura). Some American men, though we don't know who they'll be yet. Han Yan if he can get his act together. And... Denis Ten, but I tend to consider him first-tier skater only when Worlds rolls around.

Anyway, Nationals first. Get the title, Kevin. :cheer2:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I... detecting a slight hope that Kevin could take back his 4CC title? :) Maybe it's being too hopeful, since we don't know what form he'll be in. But when he skates at his best...

There's still competition, from three Japanese men (including the defending champion, Takahito Mura). Some American men, though we don't know who they'll be yet. Han Yan if he can get his act together. And... Denis Ten, but I tend to consider him first-tier skater only when Worlds rolls around.

Anyway, Nationals first. Get the title, Kevin. :cheer2:

Or at least get some points for ISU ranking and get the 34+ TES for the SP.

YAAAAAASSS. I'm going to try this weekend to find American and Canadian flag stickers and tape them to my arm for support for American and Canadian Nationals.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm glad to hear about Kevin's boots - and best of luck to him at Nationals - and may we get to see that SP skated as it should be skated. :) I really think it suits him, and I was glad he kept it this year precisely because we haven't seen it done justice yet.

If he goes to 4CC, and isn't suffering from these odd issues, surely acquiring the TES minimum ought to be no problem for him? I mean, under normal circumstances?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad to hear about Kevin's boots - and best of luck to him at Nationals - and may we get to see that SP skated as it should be skated. :) I really think it suits him, and I was glad he kept it this year precisely because we haven't seen it done justice yet.

If he goes to 4CC, and isn't suffering from these odd issues, surely acquiring the TES minimum ought to be no problem for him? I mean, under normal circumstances?

You can never be sure of anything, but I'm feeling more confident in him than I have been in a while. I'm so glad I didn't lose any faith in him.

And about the boots. Hopefully he takes note on the exact sizing so this issue won't happen again. Like about the size of the heel etc....

I cannot wait to finally have him do the awesome AC/DC program the way it's supposed to look.

Speaking of that, thanks to his SP, every time I hear "Back in Black" and "Thunderstruck" it reminds me of him. About 2 weeks ago I was watching TV and I heard "Back in Black" on a car commercial and I let out a slight scream. :laugh:

I don't think it'll be a problem. He has the boots now. Now the full rotation and confidence is left.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
B/c you're a stickler for detail, Stitch :):

The problem remains the same re KR needing the minimum for 2015 Worlds.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. If I am not mistaken:
The TES minimums for Worlds last year and this year are almost exactly the same.
The TES minimums for the Olympics were (by intention, presumably) much lower.​

And yes, the minimums have to be met during the current season or the past season.​

Good luck to KR. Glad to hear that his boot problems have been solved.

Me, a stickler for details. . . no, never!

I actually did not realize the Olympics had a lower TES.

It looks like his personal best is from 2013 Worlds and is 47.69 which I am sure was high enough for anything but that would be too old for this season I think is the problem.
I was partly interested in the time line aspect.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Me, a stickler for details. . . no, never!

I actually did not realize the Olympics had a lower TES.

It looks like his personal best is from 2013 Worlds and is 47.69 which I am sure was high enough for anything but that would be too old for this season I think is the problem.
I was partly interested in the time line aspect.

Yes, your other theory -- that KR's scores from 2012-13 no longer help him -- did hit the nail on the head.

(Just didn't want you to be surprised ;) when 2018 rolls around -- if the minimums for the Olympics once again are markedly lower than for Worlds.)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yes, your other theory -- that KR's scores from 2012-13 no longer help him -- did hit the nail on the head.

(Just didn't want you to be surprised ;) when 2018 rolls around -- if the minimums for the Olympics once again are markedly lower than for Worlds.)

I can see arguments for the Olympics being higher or lower really. I just seem to get the impression there are more skaters at worlds usually.

It is interesting to look at case studies like this in terms of how skaters have to think about when to compete and when to take time off.