Who Went To Europeans 2015? Tell Us About It? | Golden Skate

Who Went To Europeans 2015? Tell Us About It?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It's not 100% sure, but I should attend Euros this year, too! Anyone planning to be there? I think I'm going to buy a weekend ticket...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It's not 100% sure, but I should attend Euros this year, too! Anyone planning to be there? I think I'm going to buy a weekend ticket...
Never been to Sweden before, and would love to go... but after buying tickets and flights for Finlandia Trophy, Trophee Eric Bompard, and the Grand Prix Final... we are now paupers. And we still have to pay the hotel bills >_<

I expect we'll be living on dry bread and water for the rest of the year, with nothing but a candle for heat and light when the Winter comes. (I hope it doesn't get really cold this Winter, or we might have to light the candle...)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Never been to Sweden before, and would love to go... but after buying tickets and flights for Finlandia Trophy, Trophee Eric Bompard, and the Grand Prix Final... we are now paupers. And we still have to pay the hotel bills >_<

I expect we'll be living on dry bread and water for the rest of the year, with nothing but a candle for heat and light when the Winter comes. (I hope it doesn't get really cold this Winter, or we might have to light the candle...)

:rofl:

Npmonice

Rinkside
I'm attending, bought my tickets about 3 months ago. I live in Norway so it's not far from me really. Also a great excuse to go as I will meet my friend from the UK, she is going (we are sitting next to each other) and I have not seen her for over 6 years :). So two exciting things for me to look forward to, roll on the end of January :)

TMC

Record Breaker
I'll go if I a) have money by then and b) can persuade hubby or mum to come with. The ferry over from Helsinki is peanuts (like five bucks if one's willing to share a cabin) and then we'll surf on somebody's couch. Never been to Euros before!

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I'm going! I bought the tickets to the men's and women's free. I also bought the flights from Helsinki, one way was just 39 e by Norwegian. Almost cheaper and so much faster than the crazy ferries :)

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm going! I bought the tickets to the men's and women's free. I also bought the flights from Helsinki, one way was just 39 e by Norwegian. Almost cheaper and so much faster than the crazy ferries :)

Omg thank you I'd forgotten about Norwegian! That airline is perfect - it has the quality of service and comfort of Finnair but the fares are like 3000% cheaper :agree:

ETA 39 euros is definitely cheaper when you count how much money you inevitably spend onboard that stupid ferry with its cheap drinks and tax-free cosmetics ;)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The main problem for me is the flight ticket, which from Italy is quite expensive :bang: Anyway, we could organize a Golden Skate meeting, as we did in Budapest! :)

Npmonice

Rinkside

Wow that was a cheap flight. I booked my flight back with SAS, it's A direct flight to stockholm, however it is not as cheap as your flights. We have not decided what day we will arrive yet, we have an all event pass, but it would be nice to arrive a little before the comp starts, so we can do a bit of sight seeing :)

I have researched into flights with Norwegian and SAS for traveling to stockholm, but it looks as if I need to catch two flights. I'm not a big fan of flying so the prospect of two flights is a little daunting ha ha. At this point I am looking at taking the train, although I think traveling through the mountains of Norway in winter may be problematic, oh what do to he he

ragdoll

On the Ice
Hi fellow skating fans! I am not well known on this board because I rarely post anything, I mostly read for information during the seasons, but thought I'd let you know that I am going to European's. I live in central Stockholm and will be happy to assist with any information or help that you may want. I haven't been able to go to a live event in fifteen years so I'm really looking forward to European's this season. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ragdoll, any advice you can give us about what things to do will be much appreciated. Thank you!

ragdoll

On the Ice
Well, Doris, maybe it's a bit early but there are a few pieces of advice and information people who have never been to Stockholm may find useful. I'm sure I will think of more later but here are a few practical tips that come to mind immediately:

- The arena, it's called the Globe arena, is situated quite close to the inner city and is easy to get to by underground/subway train from all parts of the inner city where most hotels are. It will take you five to ten minutes to get there depending on where you are staying and the station is very close to the arena, one to two minutes walk only. In the arena area, there are quite a few restaurants, a hotel adjacent to the arena where the skaters are likely to be staying (with bar and restaurant for star gazing, LOL) and also a small shopping mall with a few shops and restaurants.

- On the outside of the arena, there is a rail with a big glass bubble that will take you up to the top of the arena from where you will have a fabulous view. The arena building is round and very high. Tickets can be bought at a separate ticket office at the arena.

- Make sure you buy tickets for buses and trains when you arrive. Public transport is very expensive if you buy single tickets (around 30 SEK = just over 3 euro one way) so if you plan to go to and from the arena a couple of times a day, get a period ticket of some kind. There are tourist tickets valid for unlimited travel for a certain period, other period tickets etc. Ask at the local transport office in the railway station or airport bus terminal and they will advise you. English is quite widely understood and spoken here and employees in ticket offices will speak English. Please note that tickets can not be bought on buses and trains.

- Food: There are plenty of restaurants from all over the world here. Most restaurants open for lunch have special lunch menus at around 8-10 euros and these lunches usually include a soft drink, salad, bread and coffee. Dinner will cost you anything between 12 and 50 euros. Please note that alcohol is expensive here so check the menu before ordering drinks and wine if you are on a budget. I'm sorry I can't really recommend anything because I usually can't eat out but I will of course make an exception during Euros, LOL. Especially if there will be any kind of skating fan meeting! I've been a figure skating fan since the early seventies and would like to meet visiting fans.

- If you have time for anything but skating and haven't been here before, go and see the Old Town (Gamla Stan in Swedish). It is a very old area situated on a small isand right in the centre of twn. It is a tourist trap and a must if you see what I mean. Old houses from fifteen hundred something with narrow cobble stone lanes, plenty of lttle shops, cafés, bars and restaurants.

- If you skate and it's not too cold, go skating with the locals on the outdoor skating rink in Kungsträdgården, a big open square in the city centre. They rent out skates but as far as I have seen, they're old and of poor quality so bring your own if you have any and want to skate there.

- The weather in January can be very unpredictable, from raging snow storms to clear and sunny and temperatures can vary between 0 degrees Celcius (32F) to minus 15 Celcius. Bring steady shoes with good soles! The streets can be full of ice and snow and very slippery.

- I'm sorry I can't recommend places like bars and night clubs. I'm sixty and stopped going to those some twenty years ago, LOL.

Well, that is what came to mind immediately. Any questions anyone may have, please post. If you want to get in touch privately for any reason, please PM me and I can give you my mobile phone number in a PM. I speak quite good English. And last but not least, welcome to Stockholm! :)

Last edited:

Npmonice

Rinkside
Well, Doris, maybe it's a bit early but there are a few pieces of advice and information people who have never been to Stockholm may find useful. I'm sure I will think of more later but here are a few practical tips that come to mind immediately:

- The arena, it's called the Globe arena, is situated quite close to the inner city and is easy to get to by underground/subway train from all parts of the inner city where most hotels are. It will take you five to ten minutes to get there depending on where you are staying and the station is very close to the arena, one to two minutes walk only. In the arena area, there are quite a few restaurants, a hotel adjacent to the arena where the skaters are likely to be staying (with bar and restaurant for star gazing, LOL) and also a small shopping mall with a few shops and restaurants.

- On the outside of the arena, there is a rail with a big glass bubble that will take you up to the top of the arena from where you will have a fabulous view. The arena building is round and very high. Tickets can be bought at a separate ticket office at the arena.

- Make sure you buy tickets for buses and trains when you arrive. Public transport is very expensive if you buy single tickets (around 30 SEK = just over 3 euro one way) so if you plan to go to and from the arena a couple of times a day, get a period ticket of some kind. There are tourist tickets valid for unlimited travel for a certain period, other period tickets etc. Ask at the local transport office in the railway station or airport bus terminal and they will advise you. English is quite widely understood and spoken here and employees in ticket offices will speak English. Please note that tickets can not be bought on buses and trains.

- Food: There are plenty of restaurants from all over the world here. Most restaurants open for lunch have special lunch menus at around 8-10 euros and these lunches usually include a soft drink, salad, bread and coffee. Dinner will cost you anything between 12 and 50 euros. Please note that alcohol is expensive here so check the menu before ordering drinks and wine if you are on a budget. I'm sorry I can't really recommend anything because I usually can't eat out but I will of course make an exception during Euros, LOL. Especially if there will be any kind of skating fan meeting! I've been a figure skating fan since the early seventies and would like to meet visiting fans.

- If you have time for anything but skating and haven't been here before, go and see the Old Town (Gamla Stan in Swedish). It is a very old area situated on a small isand right in the centre of twn. It is a tourist trap and a must if you see what I mean. Old houses from fifteen hundred something with narrow cobble stone lanes, plenty of lttle shops, cafés, bars and restaurants.

- If you skate and it's not too cold, go skating with the locals on the outdoor skating rink in Kungsträdgården, a big open square in the city centre. They rent out skates but as far as I have seen, they're old and of poor quality so bring your own if you have any and want to skate there.

- The weather in January can be very unpredictable, from raging snow storms to clear and sunny and temperatures can vary between 0 degrees Celcius (32F) to minus 15 Celcius. Bring steady shoes with good soles! The streets can be full of ice and snow and very slippery.

- I'm sorry I can't recommend places like bars and night clubs. I'm sixty and stopped going to those some twenty years ago, LOL.

Well, that is what came to mind immediately. Any questions anyone may have, please post. If you want to get in touch privately for any reason, please PM me and I can give you my mobile phone number in a PM. I speak quite good English. And last but not least, welcome to Stockholm! :)

Thankyou for this ragdoll :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Thankyou for this ragdoll :)

Thank you SO much from me, too! This is going to be so helpful.

If we get there...we just spent 300+ euros on a Dmitri Hvorostovsky Valentine's day concert (ONE NIGHT omg), which is actually about 1/3 of what the entire Euros weekend would cost us.... :eek:

I'll definitely be there if I get enough dough together ;)

ragdoll

On the Ice
I just realized I forgot to write about the infamous taxi chaos here. All tourists need to know about it and I certainly don't want my fellow skating fans to be ripped off. Operating a taxi business is something that can be done by almost anyone here and small and often dishonest one man companies with extremely high rates are fairly common. Pricing is free and unfortunately there are plenty of drivers that are in the business of ripping off unsuspecting tourists.

Even normal cab fares are generally high here, much higher than in most countries. Count on a starting fee of about 6 euro and total fee of about 15 to 20 euros for a 2 or 3 kilometer long trip within the inner city area. A dishonest one man company can charge you much more though.

Use the big, established cab companies only! These are Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir and Taxi 020. Be aware of the fact that there are others who try to make the decorations on their cars look almost like those of these companies but you can regognize the cars of the established companies by looking at the outside of the front doors. Taxi Stockholm's cars are marked with "Taxi Stockholm 15 00 00" (their phone number) and Taxi Kurir's cars have "Taxi Kurir 300 000" painted on them. If there is a llineup of cabs outside a station, hotel or something you have the right to choose whichever car you want so you don't have to take the first one in line if it looks like someone you shouldn't trust. If you can, use our excellent public transport system. There are plenty of buses and underground/subway trains and they run very frequently. Trains to the arena run about every ten minutes but will of course be very crowded when there is a poplular event there, especially afterwards when everyone wants to go home at the same time. Renting a car of your own is a waste of time and money if you plan to spend your time in the central parts. Parking in the city is a nightmare. It's very costly and you will find yourselves going around in circles for half an hour or so looking for a place to park and may end up very far from where you intended to go.

A new kind of ripoff by dishonest cab drivers here has recently been in focus. Most people these days pay by credit cards and all cabs accept these but there have been a number of cases in which the cab driver takes your card, inserts in into a machine, notes the PIN number you punch in and then when he is supposed to give you your card back, he quickly replaces it with a fake card, goes to the nearest ATM machine and withdraws your money so if you pay by card, make sure you are actually handed your own card with your name on it. My advice is pay cash! Ánd finally, when you arrive at the airport, take the bus that is just outside the arrivals hall into the city. It cost around 12 euro and takes about 40 minutes. There is also a train that will cost you about twice as much but takes only 20 minutes. The airport is far from the city and going by cab will cost you a fortune.

Foreign currency exchange: There are plenty of places for this. The reliable company Forex has fair rates, no extra commision and have offices at the airport, airport bus terminal in the city, the main railway station and here and there in the inner city. There are of course also plenty of ATM machines (called Bankomat) all over town where you can withdraw cash and most have menus in English too.

Well folks, that's all for now. Will be back with more whenever I come to think about something.

TMC

Record Breaker
I just realized I forgot to write about the infamous taxi chaos here. All tourists need to know about it and I certainly don't want my fellow skating fans to be ripped off. Operating a taxi business is something that can be done by almost anyone here and small and often dishonest one man companies with extremely high rates are fairly common. Pricing is free and unfortunately there are plenty of drivers that are in the business of ripping off unsuspecting tourists.

Even normal cab fares are generally high here, much higher than in most countries. Count on a starting fee of about 6 euro and total fee of about 15 to 20 euros for a 2 or 3 kilometer long trip within the inner city area. A dishonest one man company can charge you much more though.

Oh wow when did this happen? I lived in Sweden 99-00 and iirc the taxis were well regulated? Although there was some widespread unlicenced taxi service going on, at least in Uppsala.

Last edited:

ragdoll

On the Ice
TMC, they still have to be licenced but are allowed to charge any price they want which has resulted in numerous one man companies trying to overcharge local and foreign tourists so if you're going by cab, stick to the established big companies.

Thought I'd post some links to tourist information in Ennglish

http://www.visitstockholm.com/
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Sweden/Stockholms_Laen/Stockholm-173634/TravelGuide-Stockholm.html
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189852-s207/Stockholm:Sweden:Tourist.Board.Info.html

ragdoll

On the Ice
It's a pleasure to try to help visiting skating fans, Doris. I have little to do and for health reasons I have to spend a lot of time sitting or lying down so I thought why not write a bit about a few things visitors may find useful and a some stuff you may not find in the usual guide books.

So here's some more Stockholm info:

Crime/safety: Stockholm is relatively safe. Like any major city we do of course have our fair share of criminals but there is generally nothing much to be afraid of. The crime rate is low compared to most capitals and big cities but beware of pickpockets. Hold on to your bags at all times, especially in crowded places like trains and buses. Don't let your shoulder trap bag hang loosely down your side but keep it in front of you and hold your hand on it. Walking back to your hotel from train stations and bus stop is normally safe at most times. When withdrawing money from ATM Machines, hide your code with your free hand and watch out for people standing behind you. That's about all you need to know for safety.

Shopping:

Fashion: There are plenty of low price chain stores like H&M etc in the city centre, especially along a pedestrian street called Drottninggatan that runs from the centre all the way into the Old Town. In this street there is also a big department store called Åhléns with slightly better merchandise. Three floors of fashion with clothes by many established and up and coming local designers, a very big make-up department on the ground floor and for those of you who like me love to go to supermarkets when abroad just to have a look at what the locals eat, this department store has a big and good one two floors down from the ground floor.

For more upmarket shopping, take a look at the area around another pedestrian street called Biblioteksgatan. In this area you will find international, high price designer shops alongside more affordable shops. The big department store NK in the street Hamngatan has high price as well as medium price fashion, a good kitchenware department and lots of Swedish hand made artistic glass items.

Shops are usually open from 10 AM - 7 PM Monday-Friday, 10 AM until about 4 or 5 PM on Saturdays and 11 AM until roughly 4 PM on Sundays. It varies a bit from shop to shop so these are general guidelines.

Wifi: Available in many hotels and also at many cafés and fast food type restaurants like McDonalds etc.

Health: January is flu season and viruses thrive in the cold weather so you maybe you should consider getting a flu shot for the seasonal flu before you go. The tap water here is clean, safe and drinkable everywhere. It usually tastes as well as anything you can buy in a bottle so unless you prefer carbonated, bottled water is a waste of money.

Smoking is banned in all places indoors where food and/or drinks are sold including bars and night clubs. If you're a smoker and don't fancy going out in the cold, patches, nicotine gums etc are readily available at all pharmacies and most supermarkets.

DrugsIf you are taking any kind of drug classed as narcotic here such as benzodiazepine/ z-drug type tranquilizers/sleeping pills or narcotic pain killers, make sure you have proof of legal prescription by a doctor with you when entering the country just in case you are randomly selected for a search at the airport.

Begging Begging is illegal in some European countries but not so here. This has resulted in lots and lots of beggars from other countries in the streets of Stockholm. Almost all of them are Romanian gypsies who come from very bad conditions in Romania and cannot make a living there. They are EU citizens and are therefore guaranteed entry into this country. They break my heart and are sure to break yours as well when you see them sitting there in the rain, the snow and the cold. Don't be scared of them, they are never aggressive, they just sit in the street with a paper cup for whatever little gifts they might get and are only trying to get some money for food, shelter and for the kids they may have at home. Many tourists have been shocked by seeing all these beggars so I thought I'd inform a bit about them.

That's it for today. Maybe some more later. :)

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I would like to add to ragdoll's excellent information that Sweden has the most adorable and good-looking royal family in the world! I can't wait the wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia. He is my all-time-favourite-most-handsome man in the world :love: :eek:: ;)

...And back to figure skating... :biggrin: