The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and Skaters Who Took It | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and Skaters Who Took It

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm going to steal this from the fsuniverse thread (Kasey originally posted it) and link it here. Here is a woman with ALS taking the ice bucket challenge. She has a very positive outlook about the whole thing. :confused2:

Thx for posting this incredible video, satine94.

Lorri Knox Carey
I'm living with ALS & I've accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! Please watch, LIKE & SHARE. Thank you for giving ALS victims the hope that someday we can CREATE a WORLD without ALS! http://webcsoh.alsa.org/goto/kids4cure.​

In opposition to this article, someone whose father recently died of ALS posted a response in favor of the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Kelly Stonebock · University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

My dad actually just died last month of ALS. Do you know how few people even know what it is? ALS isn't like cancer from an awareness standpoint. People know the name Lou Gehrig but they don't know what it is, which makes fundraising hard. Programs like ALSA and MDA do crucial work for families like mine.

According to ALSA, this effort has welcomed more than 70,000 new donors to the cause. That's not just money now, but the potential for a continued relationship resulting in continuing donations. Most people are both accepting the challenge AND donating.

As someone who has personally experienced ALS, I can't tell you how wrong you are with this post. If it lends to my credibility, I also worked in marketing for a national nonprofit. Slactivism is real, yes, but the current ALSA Ice Bucket Challenge isn't an example of it.

Reply · · 41 · August 14 at 2:13pm​

Thx for this one as well, satine94 -- I was happy to discover that it's not just another post of raw ALS Challenge video from Instagram. Instead, this version is a 2:30 edited package on YouTube.

Terrific that serious facts about ALS and reminders to donate are interspersed within the fun footage of Charlie, Alex, Maia, buckets, ice water, etc. Good job. (DJ's cameo appearance is a bonus.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks for starting the thread, Bonesfan.

Links to ALS Challenge videos from Tessa Virtue; Jason Brown; Jordan Moeller; the Shibutanis and Charlie White; Max Aaron; Madeline Edwards; Joannie Rochette; etc.; etc., have been posted in other GS threads.

And ... as many people know, Skate Today started compiling ALS Challenge videos on its website and YouTube channel on Aug 12, and its collection has grown very fast.
That said, no doubt some have slipped through the cracks -- and with each passing day, more and more skaters are taking the challenge. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
These are great but I hope people are donating, some people I think just do it for fun and it original meaning gets lost

Also I'm sure I'm not the only one who laughed at Brian Orser's slipper flying off, now that I think of it Javier has technically done this challenge a million times in his Aerobics Class Exhibition haha

louisa05

Final Flight
But you have no idea how long I've been alive. ;) If your supposition is true, then you are older (by decades) than I might have imagined. :laugh:

Anyway, I will note that many members of the MLB community have taken the Ice Bucket Challenge. Why does ALS fundraising have to be "either/or"?

Considering that someone on here previously assumed I am a traditional grad student, it seems to safe to say, that yes, I am likely decades older than you think I am. An assumption made in real life as well since I am regularly carded.

I have now seen three videos of people dumping ice water on toddlers, specifically saying no money was donated, not mentioning ALS and challenging other people to dump water on their small children.

Sorry, but I stand by my position. This has become a stunt that for way too many people has little to do with charity and everything to do with getting attention.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Considering that someone on here previously assumed I am a traditional grad student, it seems to safe to say, that yes, I am likely decades older than you think I am. An assumption made in real life as well since I am regularly carded.

I have now seen three videos of people dumping ice water on toddlers, specifically saying no money was donated, not mentioning ALS and challenging other people to dump water on their small children.

Sorry, but I stand by my position. This has become a stunt that for way too many people has little to do with charity and everything to do with getting attention.

I suspect that we are of the same vintage. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the toddler videos.

BUT the latest stat is that for over 700,000 new donors to ALSA, the Challenge has had VERY MUCH to do with charity.

And the $41.8 million that ALSA has received in the past few weeks will do A LOT of good ... no matter how shallow and self-absorbed are the perpetrators of the toddler videos and similar empty bastardizations.

Most (not all, but most) of the ALS Ice Challenge videos (and/or accompanying captions) that I have seen -- especially those offered by "influentials" and those posted more recently -- have made a point of mentioning ALS and have made a point of encouraging donations.

So I too stand by my position. :yes:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Any widespread thing will be made into a stunt and abused by a number of people. That's the way of society and humanity as a whole. Imo, the good that has come from this challenge has made up for the bad though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, George W Bush completed the challenge, and nominated Bill Clinton.

On the home front, my 11 year old granddaughter nominated my son in law.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay or Nay.

I love the challenge and the idea behind it and it looks like fun to do BUT has this campaign raised enough awareness of what ALS is? And should celebrities/sport stars (the wealthier ones at least) donate to the campaign even if they have completed the challenge?

I know that these to an extent are generalisations as I have great faith that many athletes have donated to the charity quietly but there has been alot of backlash to this campaign because it has the perception that people are doing the challenge without knowing what ALS is.

Thoughts?

A resounding yay!

I am on the board of a small charity in my area, and I would throw all the skaters I ever loved under the bus for this kind of publicity for our charity. I don't care if one red cent was ever donated. The fact that most of the videos I've seen do mention ALS, and do encourage donations, is a wonderful thing. Good for them!

And if any celebrities out there want to draw attention to themselves by doing something silly, and in so doing, mention the name of our cause, and even write a check, our charity will take that self-promotion a million times over a quiet tasteful check written from the goodness of the celebrity's heart. Send me a PM. :biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay! It brings attention to a horrible disease and people are responding to it with their donations! :agree:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm going to steal this from the fsuniverse thread (Kasey originally posted it) and link it here. Here is a woman with ALS taking the ice bucket challenge. She has a very positive outlook about the whole thing. :confused2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...-als_n_5696085.html?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000030

Here's a link that will put to rest whether or not the ice challenge is indeed helpful since this is from someone who was diagnosed with ALS...

Good to see my favorite skaters getting in on this :)

Thx, lbc. :)

ICYMI, a woman with ALS also has taken the Ice Bucket Challenge :bow: -- satine posted the video link on GS a few days ago. (It is in post #18 on page 2 of this thread.)

makaihime

Final Flight