2014 Lombardia Trophy | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Lombardia Trophy

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I was really hoping that Vera and Andrei would come to Italy and really deliver two strong performances, sadly it wasn't to be.

Before the short she looked so calm, relaxed and happy, I was confident of a good performance. But once again her jumps were not the best and she doubled the 3ThFlip, if they can get they perfect the technical elements this programme can score big. I thought they were a little in under marked in PCS, I would definitely have them ahead of D/F.

For the long, they looked great costume wise. They did capture the tango feel/look starting of but both of them were off on the jumps, the 3ThFlip was doubled (maybe it's a planned double? but I doubt it) and she took a hard fall on the second throw, the final spin ruled invalid and had a shaky lift. I think my expectations were a little to high for them but I was impressed with what they showed in the test skates after such a short time. Also the way she was talking up the jumps in interviews also raised my hopes.

I guess they need more time to get all the elements together. I think they have a great look together and have huge potential, I really want to see them succeed in a very strong Russian field.

On the mens side I was very impressed with Dornbush, he fully deserved his victory, it sets him up well for the rest of the season. I am a fan of Mura but he was a bit sloppy today. I was impressed with Pikteev, he has the technical side but maybe not the PCS side yet but plenty of time for improvement. I really liked Moris K's performance skills, very entertaining but sadly his jumps were off today.

On the ladies side, bonus points to Victoria H for skating to Kate Bush.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think B/D's flip was a planned double, since she landed it in both programs and in the warm-up, too...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for your report FSGMT.

I watched the men and Ricky gave me goosebumps through my computer screen. I can just imagine how wonderful it was for you and
the audience to watch that performance live. He was fabulous!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
2) New late start rule - 60s down to 30s? Really? Any benefits?? The only good thing I could think of is that judges now can go home 10min earlier thanks to this new rule:think:

Considering the judges sit there all day, I don't think it's unreasonable to be happy that they might get to go home earlier.

The issue I think was that all the skaters were taking the full 60sec to get into position. Sometimes I was like, just get on with it! when a skater was stalking around the ice burning up his sixty seconds.

statmam

On the Ice
Wow, it's hard to believe that Dornbush was skating a relatively new program; it was so polished and (except for the popped quad) confidently skated.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It seem to me that Ricky was under rated before, his programs are almost always fun to watch. Specially his Sherlock Holmes one. so I´m not surprise that he did well, but I´m surprise that he made a comeback.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just got home, and these are my impressions about Men's FS:
-Dornbush was incredible, his edging and flow over the ice are really wonderful (I had never understood how good he is before seeing him live) and except for that one mistake (he was hitting good quads in the warm-up, though), his program was fantastic, it really gave us emotions, it was not just the music, he was "sharing his feelings" with the audience! I was sitting near Franca Bianconi (probably the best coach in Italy at the moment: her students include Marchei, Rodeghiero, Berton/Hotarek in the past) and she gave him a standing ovation together with a couple of other people! Just one doubt, why is he attempting 4S in the SP and 4T in the FS? :confused:
-Mura was good but not even close to Ricky, artistically, even though his jumps are clearly more solid
-Pikteev totally deserved his lower PCS: he was technically rock solid, I didn't see him missing a single jump even in the warm-up and he just went out there and did his job, as if it was just a routine, but sadly with no emotion at all...
Fun note: Martinez was chased by a huge crowd of Philippine fans and had to wait a lot of time giving autographs and taking pics before he could go back to the changing rooms and finally take his skates off :laugh:
Thanks for sharing this with us!
And thank you Doris!

There was so much to like about Dornbush's program. His costume was NOT yellow. :)
His tano variations on his last combination was really great. If multiple Tanos are used, then they may as well be interesting! (take note Russian girls!) Musicality and smoothness in his skating so that I barely noticed his small slip-ups.
Over all I liked the music and the fact that it didn't have vocals. And then it the end it did which made me a bit sad, the last bit of music was really not good. Sort of like they thought, oops, we're running out of time, gotta cut this short!
:confused:

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Video of this competition is being offered on demand. On my computer at least, it is considerably better quality than the Youtube vids. Just go to the same Idealweb site that streamed the competition and look under recent events. The videos are archived by date. You can't get individual performances, but for me it's worth it to hunt about a bit and get better resolution on the vids.

Hope I'm not being Captain Obvious , but I didn't recall seeing this mentioned and thought some people might not know.

noidont

Final Flight
Really liked the Dornbush program, especially the vocal at the end, but not the ending post. The lyrics is talking about a king being dethroned and ugly everything...no reason he shall end the program on such a upbeat post.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have added all the vids I could find to the first post.

Cheers!

Inga did pretty well until she slipped at the end of her SP. :(

@ event goers.

How was the attendance? It seemed a bit empty on the vids? I assume they only opened one side for the general public?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Cheers!

Inga did pretty well until she slipped at the end of her SP. :(

@ event goers.

How was the attendance? It seemed a bit empty on the vids? I assume they only opened one side for the general public?
No, the public could sit anywhere, but it was pretty empty, yes, even if more important skaters drew a bit more people than last year to the rink; there were mostly either people who were there with the skaters or people from Sesto Ice Skate, sadly...

GF2445

Record Breaker
No, the public could sit anywhere, but it was pretty empty, yes, even if more important skaters drew a bit more people than last year to the rink; there were mostly either people who were there with the skaters or people from Sesto Ice Skate, sadly...

That's sad to hear but...
Don't worry, as long as this competition keeps running at the same place every year and great skaters come to compete, in time, more people will come. Hopefully every year, more and more, the presence of the competition will be made more known to those living in Milan.

Alex D

Record Breaker

Oh this is a pity :(

Thanks for answering ;)

statmam

On the Ice
It wasn't obvious to me, so I appreciate the heads up, humbaba!
Video of this competition is being offered on demand. On my computer at least, it is considerably better quality than the Youtube vids. Just go to the same Idealweb site that streamed the competition and look under recent events. The videos are archived by date. You can't get individual performances, but for me it's worth it to hunt about a bit and get better resolution on the vids.

Hope I'm not being Captain Obvious , but I didn't recall seeing this mentioned and thought some people might not know.

shine

Record Breaker
I greatly enjoy Satoko's skating. I think all of her programs are so well thought out and beautifully built. They are sophisticated, and so nuanced that only a skater with her level of sensitivity and ability would be able to pull off. She's one of the musical skaters there is and moves with an elegance and self-awareness well beyond her age. But I don't love her skating and I don't exactly know why. I think I'm still waiting for her to skate bigger, to project a deeper kind of emotion; to become "lost" in the performance...

This is not to say I agree with the persistent underscoring of her PCS scores though. She really should be getting 8's if the judges were fair.