Greatest performances not to win?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest performances not to win??

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
You are right. It is a can of worms. Skating clean does not mean a thing if there is no choreography, no unison, no postures and lines and no connection with each other. B&S were head and shoulders above the rest including S&Z and they rightfully won on the presentation marks.

was that the "toe tapping" worlds?

sarahmistral

On the Ice
gushing over Ximena and Midori

Ximena...
Let me just say how much I L:love::love::love::love: VE

1, Your selfish motivation for starting this grrrreat thread!!! (I'm right on that same page with you, sister; want all the info available about great performances so I can get to tape trading and downloading!)

2, Your location at all times: "I want Plushenkofest" So simple, so understated, so to the point, love it to pieces :laugh::laugh::laugh: Laugh my tushy off every time I read it--it's brilliant, truly worthy of Plushy.

Sarah

Anybody, please help w/info asap: what music did Midori skate her INCREDIBLE (w:love:wzers--I have never seen a woman jump like that, and how many guys get that proportional height--I seldom rewind a jump millions of times, but this is a history-making jump---w:love:w.--Okay, heading over to Nadine's Technical Skaters gush thread--feats like that touch the heart, IMO, as much as pure artistry does, though in a different way)

1990 Worlds LP that SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE GOLD (I know, I know, figures, yadda yadda yadda---after watching this program and having it so fresh in my mind, this thread jumped out at me like Midori doing an axel--couldn't resist; big fonts for BIG impressions!) WHAT WAS THE MUSIC???!?!?! ANYONE??? I ask b/c someone else I've seen several times has skated to it and I CAN'T remember!!!!!! (it's that premature senility again:laugh: )

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Sarah:
I think she skated to Sheherazade by Rimsky Korsakov in 1990. I'm not sure though b/c I don't have my tape to watch the program again.

mariana

On the Ice
Denkova & Staviyski, 04 Euros & Worlds (they where robbed BIG time):mad: :cry:
Shen & Zhao, 04 Worlds
Stephane Lambiel, 04 Worlds
Petrova & Tikhonov, 04 Euros
Ina & Zimmerman, 02 Olympics
Lobacheva & Averbukh, 02 Olympics
Torvill & Dean, 94 Olympics

Ximena

Final Flight
well thanks Sarah ;)

Well you really have helped me a lot, to look for most of this performances will make my off-season with a least a little more skating that what I though. I think I will start by searching those Olys performances and then to look for the rest.

I can't believe I forgot Todd's Worlds 98 and 01 because I did got to see those, that was great.

Vash01

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
was that the "toe tapping" worlds?

The toe tapping incident did occur at those worlds, however, it would not have changed the results. B&S won a 7:2 decision. Even if the two judges had placed S&Z first (though I don't see why- based on the skating) it would have still given B&S a 5:4 win.

Kasey

Medalist
I agree with Plushy at 02 GPF...but not at the Olympics. He did not seem to have the energy and 'sizzle' he usually does there...maybe the fall in the short sucked it out him. I don't know if it would have mattered though. I think if he had done better, Yags would have just upped the technical a little more...he was in the zone, and I don't think he would have lost, regardless.

I also agree with Abt at the 02 Euros...

Add to that, Paul Wylie at the 89 (I think) Nationals....he lost to Eldredge, basically because the point percentages worked against him (Long program was only worth 33%). AND, Wylie at the '92 Olympics!!! Yeah, he had some mistakes....but Plushenko had more of them, and bigger, program-affecting mistakes. Wylie was totally robbed! (And was very classy and decent about it).

Kasey

sarahmistral

On the Ice
the right idea

I think that if we did a skating fans' version of Family Feud, the top response to the question "what to do during the off-season?" would be "watching every great skating performance not yet seen"...great idea.

Thanks soogar, I was about to have a heart attack; I'm like "I've heard that music, I've HEARD that music....aaaargh!!" It was a similar cut, at least the intro, to MK's Sheherazade in 2002. About Midori's Sheherazade and the glorious triple axel, you can download them both:) at www.cruelladekwan.com I was privileged enough to see it with minimal hold time because of my friend's cable connection. It would have taken me 2 hours to see it on my computer at home, though I may still do it b/c I think it's worth it. Speaking of downloads, Ximena, you are familiar with sites such as www.cruelladekwan.com, right? It mostly has MK videos, but there are quite a few other skaters with at least one video on there...though I know you won't settle for less than a Plushenkofest ;)

Back on topic, how dare I forget the l:love:verly Stephane Lambiel at Worlds this year--should have had bronze IMO. Someone else said this, but given my adoration of the guy, saying it myself was the least I could have done :sheesh: ;)

Sarah

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
Kasey said:
AND, Wylie at the '92 Olympics!!! Yeah, he had some mistakes....but Plushenko had more of them, and bigger, program-affecting mistakes. Wylie was totally robbed! (And was very classy and decent about it).

Wow - beating Wylie in 92. He must have only been about 9 years old then. Obviously very talented. :p

Kasey

Medalist
LOL! OKay, so I had just responded regarding Plushenko and the boy was on my brain! :)

PETRENKO!!!! (Who I liked very much, still do, but he was not the winner that night in MY mind! :)

Kasey

Ximena

Final Flight
Re: the right idea

sarahmistral said:

Speaking of downloads, Ximena, you are familiar with sites such as www.cruelladekwan.com, right? It mostly has MK videos, but there are quite a few other skaters with at least one video on there...though I know you won't settle for less than a Plushenkofest ;)

Back on topic, how dare I forget the l:love:verly Stephane Lambiel at Worlds this year--should have had bronze IMO. Someone else said this, but given my adoration of the guy, saying it myself was the least I could have done :sheesh: ;)

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, I didn't know about that page and there were some videos of Michelle that I was looking for quite long time now. I have pretty much everything that Plush has ever skated so I do have my Plushenkofest.

Oh Lambiel... I was happy that Lindemann got bronze because he was at home and all that but I wouldn't have minded a bit if Lambiel had been in that third place instead of Stefan, well school is over for him so he will focus on training and let' hope consistency on jumps will work better next season, because he has the rest.