2014 Golden Spin of Zagreb | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Golden Spin of Zagreb

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Very bad planning for the ISU to pick as a final event one that will not have a livestream-how anticlimactic! The Challenger Series medals are decided and no one can watch :bang:

ISU does livestream for other events, including the GP and JGP, and also does youtube uploads for the JGP.

Why not at least youtube uploads. :bang:

That is really frustrating...there are so many good skaters competing here, plus we don't have a GP to occupy us this weekend, so I would really love to follow the competition. I guess we have to pray for some very good fancams.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
GPF 2012-13? :eek: Nearly two years!

Practicly two years. The last international competition was GPF 2012 and the last competiton was the Finnish nationals couple of weeks later. This has been two long years for her and also two long years for big Kiira fans like me. But I'm so happy for her! :party: But I won't be totally sure she is cabaple to skate until I see her on the ice in Zagreb! But there's no live feed :( Well, when I see the online results and I have a proof she has really skated!

I have no idea what is her jumping condition. I'm sure she can make some triples but the hardest one? My guess is that she doesn't have lutz yet. But that is just a guess.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Best of luck to one of the most beautiful ladies skater of history!! Go Kiira Korpi, make a solid comeback! :cheer2:

pohatta

On the Ice
In an interview a couple of months ago Kiira said she plans 3F-3T and 2A-3T in her LP. No I don't expect her to do/attempt them in Zagreb but that's her goal.

kalle

On the Ice
In an interview a couple of months ago Kiira said she plans 3F-3T and 2A-3T in her LP. No I don't expect her to do/attempt them in Zagreb but that's her goal.

It is an ambitious layout but I am not so sure it is the best of ideas..I believe she can score very well in the SP with her 3T/3T (especially as the judges seems to reward a certain maturity on the ice, Ashley comes to my mind)

Do you know her personal best for her SP?

In the long, it is more tricky (and always been for Kiira). I do not remember if she tend to get good flow out of her 2A to really attack a 3T? I do not know if she has already maxed out a LP, landing all her jumps without having a 3/3 combo?

How would the base value be for something like:

3L
3F
3R/2T
3S
-------
3S/2T/2L
3R
2A/2T
3T

I never thought her 3F was a good jump for her so I am quite surprised she is planning a 3F/3T.
Honestly, I would be really happy if she is able to land all her triples, even without any harder combo.

I miss her elegant skating and think that she can really bring something that we don't get from Radio, Pogo..

Go Kiira! wishing you a good first outing after all this time!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think the website of the competition is the worst I've seen for many years. No information at all. :disapp:

I was just about to post the same thing. And their Facebook page (only other social media I could find) hasn't even been updated since last year. There are smaller competitions that have more details available, as well as live streaming. I hate to complain, but the organization seems very unprofessional.

pohatta

On the Ice
It is an ambitious layout but I am not so sure it is the best of ideas..I believe she can score very well in the SP with her 3T/3T (especially as the judges seems to reward a certain maturity on the ice, Ashley comes to my mind)

In the long, it is more tricky (and always been for Kiira). I do not remember if she tend to get good flow out of her 2A to really attack a 3T? I do not know if she has already maxed out a LP, landing all her jumps without having a 3/3 combo?

How would the base value be for something like:

3L
3F
3R/2T
3S
-------
3S/2T/2L
3R
2A/2T
3T

I never thought her 3F was a good jump for her so I am quite surprised she is planning a 3F/3T.
Honestly, I would be really happy if she is able to land all her triples, even without any harder combo.

I miss her elegant skating and think that she can really bring something that we don't get from Radio, Pogo..

Go Kiira! wishing you a good first outing after all this time!

In your layout there's one jump element too many (only seven for ladies). There's also one 2T too many. In order to do 7 triples you have to have a combination with two triples or one triple with a 2A. In order to do 7 triples and two 2A's you have to have two combinations like that.

The only Finnish woman to skate a clean 7 triple two 2A program was Alisa Drei in 2003 Europeans. She did 3T-3T and 2A-1L-3S.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, not an excuse but more of an observation. Isn't this the same competition that Yuna Kim did last year? And IIRC, Yuna's inclusion in the competition led to a HUGE sponsorship deal with Samsung or one of the other Korean corporations. In addition MBC, one of the Korean networks, broadcasted the ladies portion.

I'm guessing since Yuna's not around now, the organization doesn't really have much money to do much of anything. Though that's not an excuse since live streaming is not THAT expensive of a proposition these days.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice

In Finlandia Trophy 2012 she got 69.27 but the score was a little bit inflated (score and video, a bit annoying video because you can hear all the shots some photographer is taking...). With 7 elements the best score internationally was probably EC in 2011, 63.50 (score and video).

Last edited:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
3L
3F
3R/2T
3S
-------
3S/2T/2L
3R
2A/2T
3T

If she can do what she is planning, it could be something like this (not in any particular order):

3F-3T
2A-3T
3Lz
3Lo
3S
2A
3Lo-2T-2Lo

But if she doesn't have difficult combinations and lutz yet, it could be something like this:

3F
3S-2T-2Lo
3Lo
3T
2A
3F-2T
3Lo-2Lo

Or did I already break the zayak rule?

Last edited:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I emailed the official site and they said there won't be one.
Thank you for checking on this. It's very unfortunate that they won't have a livestream.

Very bad planning for the ISU to pick as a final event one that will not have a livestream-how anticlimactic! The Challenger Series medals are decided and no one can watch :bang:

ISU does livestream for other events, including the GP and JGP, and also does youtube uploads for the JGP.

Why not at least youtube uploads. :bang:

I agree.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was just about to post the same thing. And their Facebook page (only other social media I could find) hasn't even been updated since last year. There are smaller competitions that have more details available, as well as live streaming. I hate to complain, but the organization seems very unprofessional.

Well, not an excuse but more of an observation. Isn't this the same competition that Yuna Kim did last year? And IIRC, Yuna's inclusion in the competition led to a HUGE sponsorship deal with Samsung or one of the other Korean corporations. In addition MBC, one of the Korean networks, broadcasted the ladies portion.

I'm guessing since Yuna's not around now, the organization doesn't really have much money to do much of anything. Though that's not an excuse since live streaming is not THAT expensive of a proposition these days.

This the same federation that successfully hosted a JGP event this fall that included a timely results page,livestreaming, and youtube uploads, as can be seen from the JGP Zagreb video thread.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52234-2014-Croatia-Cup-JGP-Videos-Results-Reports

I hold the ISU responsible for not supplying the same coverage here that they did for the JGP event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This the same federation that successfully hosted a JGP event this fall that included a timely results page,livestreaming, and youtube uploads, as can be seen from the JGP Zagreb video thread.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52234-2014-Croatia-Cup-JGP-Videos-Results-Reports

I hold the ISU responsible for not supplying the same coverage here that they did for the JGP event.

But .... streaming of other Challenger events was supplied by individual federations on the platforms of their choice -- not by the ISU on its YouTube or Eurovision channels. (And in the cases of SLC and Finlandia, access to streaming required a paid subscription.)

The lack of Golden Spin streaming is unfortunate of course (esp. b/c it is the last Challenger competition, as you have noted), but I don't think it's fair to hold the ISU responsible.

As you say, the JGP Zagreb streaming was available from the ISU b/c the ISU provided streaming of all JGPs. Apples and oranges, IMO.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If the ISU did not want to supply Results coverage or streaming (which they were certainly able to do in Zagreb) ,then they should have chosen Santa Claus Cup or another competition as the tenth event.

They could have picked an event better, or if there was some unknown Had to Have Reason that Golden Spin had to be the tenth event, they could have arranged the event themselves.

Either way, it is ultimately their fault.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If the ISU did not want to supply Results coverage or streaming (which they were certainly able to do in Zagreb) ,then they should have chosen Santa Claus Cup or another competition as the tenth event.

They could have picked an event better, or if there was some unknown Had to Have Reason that Golden Spin had to be the tenth event, they could have arranged the event themselves.

Either way, it is ultimately their fault.

Agree that the outcome is unfortunate regardless.

Agree to disagree re fault-finding.
(I don't blame the ISU for not offering SLC streaming for free to those outside the U.S. -- although a case could be made that the ISU "should" have b/c this year's SLC was historic as the very first Challenger event ever. It would have been a great way to promote worldwide excitement for the inaugural Challenger series, but the ISU chose not to provide streaming of any Challenger events. It's not as if the ISU deliberately ignored SLC in particular. )

ETA:

I am defending the ISU b/c I feel that it is a case of "no good deed goes unpunished."
The ISU has been great about providing JGP YT videos -- and this year it stepped up with JGP live streaming. :)
It has supplied live streaming to some parts of the world of some GPs and ISU championships.
But now the "thanks" that the ISU gets in return is criticism for not streaming Golden Spin -- from fans with a sense of entitlement. :eek:hwell:

AFAIK, the ISU hired an outside production company to travel to all the JGPs to handle the live streaming. So the JGP streaming cost the ISU real money, and Challenger streaming also would cost real money. It's not as if the ISU has its own in-house production crew.​

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I feel that we are certainly entitled to timely score results, if not video.

Youtube uploads would be adquate coverage.

Last edited:

chantastic

Rinkside
Is there a results page up already? I've been checking the Web site, and it still thinks me to the 2013 results page. :O