Which man will break out in 2014-2015? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Which man will break out in 2014-2015?

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Han Yan has been discussed already, my problem is he hasn't produced a program I like. What's up with these weird humour programs when his natural style and presentation seems more serious and classical. Give him a Patrick Chan program please to highlight the skating skills above all else.
I said he ought to fix his facial expression, but your right, all he needs to fix are his programs. Though I guess the only way to improve is to keep try these things? I hope he can succeed in that way, because I really don't wan to see another excellent skating skills not so good expression.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Han Yan has been discussed already, my problem is he hasn't produced a program I like. What's up with these weird humour programs when his natural style and presentation seems more serious and classical. Give him a Patrick Chan program please to highlight the skating skills above all else.

I am surprised no one mentioned Michael Christian Matinez from Philippines yet. Although only came 19th at the Olympics he really made a big impression on the BBC broadcast along with HanYan (Robin Cousins positively gushed) along with Jason Brown as the youngsters to watch for. Michael is very young but he could be a Denis Ten in a few years with the right mentorship. He is a pioneer in the making for being the first ever skater from south East Asia - tropical zone region to qualify for the winter games (sole Phillipines athlete took part at the winter Olympics) and managed to make it to the FS. He has been skating at juniors and this season should make it to senior. His first event will be at skate America. I wonder if we may get a fluff piece depends on how he get on with the SP I suppose..tough road ahead but one to watch out. Good looks don't hurt either :D

While I think MCM is very talented, I don't really expect to see him medal anytime soon. I believe he didn't train for several months because he had to wait for funds to come through to pay his coach (he posted a message on his FB page about it). Natural ability can get one so far, but does he currently stand a chance against guys with multiple quads...I doubt it.

Someone mentioned Majorov...for all the talk about Kovtun's attitude and antics on social media, I'm pretty sure he never posted an expletive-filled rant directed toward his federation, like Majorov did a few years ago. :disapp: Hopefully he has grown up a bit, but I still don't find him likeable or an interesting skater.

Meoima

Match Penalty
What did Majorov say about his federation? Mind you sharing me the links?
I think it's understandable that skaters who has received little privilege from their fed might feel uncomfortable with all the assignments, though.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
What did Majorov say about his federation? Mind you sharing me the links?
I think it's understandable that skaters who has received little privilege from their fed might feel uncomfortable with all the assignments, though.

Here you go (NSFW, offensive language)

He did apologize, for whatever it's worth. He received a strong warning from his federation & I don't think he has done anything like that since. Still, it will always be the first thing I remember when his name comes up. He was 19...what is it about that age? Maybe it's hard to accept when you're no longer a boy, yet not quite a man...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I'm sorry to hear about Majorov. I liked his SP in Sochi and thought it was pretty cute how the Russian crowd adopted him, up to booing his (imo, harsh) scores. I don't like judging people based on what they do off the ice though, so I'm still interested in seeing what he brings next season.

I am surprised no one mentioned Michael Christian Matinez from Philippines yet. Although only came 19th at the Olympics he really made a big impression on the BBC broadcast along with HanYan (Robin Cousins positively gushed) along with Jason Brown as the youngsters to watch for. Michael is very young but he could be a Denis Ten in a few years with the right mentorship. He is a pioneer in the making for being the first ever skater from south East Asia - tropical zone region to qualify for the winter games (sole Phillipines athlete took part at the winter Olympics) and managed to make it to the FS. He has been skating at juniors and this season should make it to senior. His first event will be at skate America. I wonder if we may get a fluff piece depends on how he get on with the SP I suppose..tough road ahead but one to watch out. Good looks don't hurt either :D
Agree about Han Yan. He needs a serious, classical program. The cutesy/humour programs are really not working. If he gets a better program, it'll force the judges to take another look at him. His EX with Zijun was beautiful and expressive--that's the kind of program his presentation skills are tailored toward. (Also, he needs to start being more consistent with his jumps, but that goes without saying).

I really like that one as well. I would've given to him the World title that year, if not for those 2 pt deduction.
It was a classic case of "skating a 6.0 program under COP." Buttle's combinations wouldn't have made much of a difference under 6.0, since no 3-3/3-2-2 would be able to outweight a quad. But under COP, Brian only doing two combinations, one of them being a freaking 2A-1T, basically sent his technical mark into a black hole. Add to that how the quad was (not) valued back then, plus the SP deductions, and the result was that huge margin of victory. I'm not sure who deserved to win overall, but I enjoyed Brian's LP more and would've given him the segment if I were a 6.0 judge. (Lol, "vs. threads" are really popular right now. Maybe it's time for Joubert vs. Buttle :laugh:)

Alba

Record Breaker
It was a classic case of "skating a 6.0 program under COP." Buttle's combinations wouldn't have made much of a difference under 6.0, since no 3-3/3-2-2 would be able to outweight a quad. But under COP, Brian only doing two combinations, one of them being a freaking 2A-1T, basically sent his technical mark into a black hole. Add to that how the quad was (not) valued back then, plus the SP deductions, and the result was that huge margin of victory. I'm not sure who deserved to win overall, but I enjoyed Brian's LP more and would've given him the segment if I were a 6.0 judge. (Lol, "vs. threads" are really popular right now. Maybe it's time for Joubert vs. Buttle :laugh:)

No, I agree with you. I understand perfectly why Buttle won, fair enough. But just like you said, I enjoyed more that 6.0 program. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No, I agree with you. I understand perfectly why Buttle won, fair enough. But just like you said, I enjoyed more that 6.0 program. ;)
The gap between them was too much, even considering Brian's COP mistakes. Though considering Brian's SP, I guess everyone thought the right guy won overall so it didn't really matter. (Btw, anyone know if Brian got music deductions earlier on the season? Because if he didn't, I can see why the French federation wasn't too pleased about the deduction suddenly popping up at Worlds).

(Btw, I didn't end up making Joubert vs. Buttle, but I did just make Joubert vs. Lambiel. :laugh:).

Alba

Record Breaker
(Btw, anyone know if Brian got music deductions earlier on the season? Because if he didn't, I can see why the French federation wasn't too pleased about the deduction suddenly popping up at Worlds).

I don't remember, but I presume they didn't. I mean, if they did earlier in the season than Joubert must've been crazy to use it at Worlds. Although it wouldn't suprise me at all. :biggrin:

(Btw, I didn't end up making Joubert vs. Buttle, but I did just make Joubert vs. Lambiel. :laugh:)

In both cases you've picked a lost cause with Joubert I'm afraid. ;) :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't remember, but I presume they didn't. I mean, if they did earlier in the season than Joubert must've been crazy to use it at Worlds. Although it wouldn't suprise me at all. :biggrin:
It's borderline. His music did have a lot of vocals but as far as I could tell it was just "ahhs." If it's not okay though, I think the ISU should've told him so earlier in the season.

In both cases you've picked a lost cause with Joubert I'm afraid. ;) :laugh:
Oh come on, I think Joubert had a better career than Buttle, even if he did lose that World title due to COP illiteracy. At least he's won GPF, has been at the top longer, and was a more dominant skater.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh come on, I think Joubert had a better career than Buttle, even if he did lose that World title due to COP illiteracy. At least he's won GPF, has been at the top longer, and was a more dominant skater.

I agree. But you do know the answer here, don't you. ;)

supsu

On the Ice
Of the US guys my bet is on Farris to be the best US man this season. His injury slowed him down a lot last season I think, when he was on his way to break through as a senior.

Do i remember correctly that in skating lesson they once talked about maybe Farris having some attitude problems when it comes to training. That he only starts training hard when the competition is close. Does anyone know anything of that sort?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do i remember correctly that in skating lesson they once talked about maybe Farris having some attitude problems when it comes to training. That he only starts training hard when the competition is close. Does anyone know anything of that sort?

Yeah, and it's a load of bunk.

He admitted openly that his primary issue last year was that he got too involved in working on the choreography. There were other issues - they realised only just before Skate Canada that his LP jump layout was wrong and would create Zayak problems. Then of course he sprained his ankle at CoR and got the flu. By the time he got to Nationals I think he'd accepted that the Olympics were no longer possible for him, not unless everyone else had a major meltdown (Jeremy, Max, Jason, Adam AND Ricky).

I wonder if that perfectionism as regards his self-choreography might be why they brought in Buttle this year for his SP.

LRK

Record Breaker
I didn't watch that season (as well, or I'd be heartbroken... ), but as I understand it, Brian was NOT deducted for the vocals earlier, and suddenly was here. If you look at Brian's face after the scores come up, he looks completely uncomprehending - he has plainly no clue what the second deduction was for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yq5xTIZJ_E

Anyway, I love this SP as well - and after the fall he sold the heck out of the program.

ETA - Oops, sorry, a spot of absentmindedness on my part... I should have probably quoted someone to indicate that this is about the deduction in Brian's 2008 SP - the discussion on the thread has since moved on to other things, I see, and my post in isolation may look rather odd. My apologies.