Preventing dizziness when spinning | Golden Skate

Preventing dizziness when spinning

Aeva

Spectator
Hello! First time poster!

I would love to learn how to avoid becoming dizzy when spinning. Any tips would be great. Thank you!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I read somewhere once the bit inside your ear (is it in your ear?) that causes you to become dizzy can be worn down over time or basically you can build up a tolerance to it. But I also remember an interview with Yuna & Mao where they were both asked if they still get dizzy from spinning so much and Mao said she still did. Maybe someone who actually skates can give you some tips, I've only heard of doing it til you get used to it or even not really getting used to it :laugh:

Littlerain

Rinkside
My coach tells me not to spot, and to also try to unfocus my eyes and not look at anything at all.

What helped me a lot was one of those plastic skate spinners, because I was getting dizzy even just doing a two foot spin from a standstill sometimes. (I get dizzy easily) it helps! And while I still get dizzy, my level of tolerance seems to get better and better lol

vlaurend

Final Flight
You will always get a little dizzy, but much less so over time. Two important things in reducing dizziness are: (1) unfocusing your eyes (as has already been mentioned) and (2) centering the spin as much as possible. If you don't bend the skating knee deeply and wait long enough for the entrance edge to curl all the way around before starting your spin, or if your free leg is too far to the outside during your spin, you will end up with a spin that travels. Traveling spins will always make you dizzier.