Stories in singles programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stories in singles programs

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bah humbug.

I'd rather see strong technique and beautiful lines. Skating that can stand on its own merits.

I appreciate musicality, but that does not equate to "telling a story."

Whenever a commentator introduces a program with something along the lines of, "He represents a butterfly emerging from a cocoon and stretching it's wings as it begins life reborn in a new form in the Amazonian rainforest...blahblahblah..."

Well, then I know this will be something awful.

If a skater's program must be accompanied by a press release to be understood, then it's not worth watching.

Josh Farris' program to Schindler's List is beautiful, and he didn't have to act out being thrown in a crematorium to pull it off.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I love story-driven programs. But I don't read many interviews. Imo, if there's really a story there, the audience should be able to see it in the skate. Of course, not every skate needs to have a story, but it is one type of program I really appreciate.

Yulia's SP + LP this season are good examples--you didn't need to have background information to see the story.

Michelle Kwan's Salome wanders somewhere between story and character, but I'd count it if we're counting Ashley's S&D (which was also fabulous)

Plushy's '12-13 LP might be a Saint-Saens Medley, but he's clearly telling the story of one specific piece, The Dying Swan.

I think certain pieces are more suited for stories in singles programs--music where the skater can play one specific character (Ashley's S&D works fine because she only needs to play the Delilah part). But on the other hand, Romeo and Juliet or Butterfly Lovers don't usually demonstrate the story when they're skated by a singles skater; those stories kinda hinge on having both characters. (If someone could link me to a R&J or Butterfly Lovers that actually had the story, I'd be grateful. Chen Lu's Butterfly Lovers was a nice performance, but I dunno if someone who didn't know the context would see it as a story piece).