2014 Junior Men FP JGP Ljublijana Cup | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Junior Men FP JGP Ljublijana Cup

TMC

Record Breaker
Not just a little. :unsure: I mean his PCS is quite high, at least to me. :scowl: watching his Lp was uncomfortable to me. I like Petrov much better! He has better presentation.

Well, with a quad and 3a in 2nd half you don't need much presentation apparently.

ETA even though I like him a lot, I wouldn't have given much over 60 myself...

TMC

Record Breaker
:slink: I like jump very much but there must be some limit to poor presentation. :unsure:

I agree, I don't understand how PCS goes up when you get jumps even though the actual skills/presentation haven't improved. I remember Kori Ade telling a story of how she'd asked some judges about Jason's PCS and why they weren't getting better...she was just bluntly told he'd get the points once he got his triple axel. Errrrrr....?

LRK

Record Breaker
I've not got any sound now. Anyone else having this problem?

ETA - It's okay now. I clicked on full screen - and suddenly I had sound! Mysterious... but whatever, so long as it's working.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree, I don't understand how PCS goes up when you get jumps even though the actual skills/presentation haven't improved. I remember Kori Ade telling a story of how she'd asked some judges about Jason's PCS and why they weren't getting better...she was just bluntly told he'd get the points once he got his triple axel. Errrrrr....?
:bang::bang::bang: ah....this is so unfair for skaters who have trained months and years for better presentation and basic skills.

TMC

Record Breaker
If Shotaro doesn't get 65 PCS I'm gonna rage flip my laptop

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw not a great day in the office for Shotaro. Hope he does better in his next GP event.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
BIG :disagree::disagree::disagree: to both Petrov's and Jin's costumes!! :laugh:
About the skating and judging: Jin receiving 64 PCS with 60 for Omori (who BTW hasn't landed a clean 3A in competition in ages so far) and 65 for Aliev, who have been WAY better than him artistically is not fair at all, I would have given him less than 5.50 for PE, CH and IN for sure, maybe something around 6.00 for SS and TR... But we all know that big jumps most of the time mean PCS advantage, whereas poor jumps=PCS penalty :biggrin: Except for the top three, not a great competition at all, though

Meoima

Match Penalty
BIG to both Petrov's and Jin's costumes!! :laugh:
About the skating and judging: Jin receiving 64 PCS with 60 for Omori (who BTW hasn't landed a clean 3A in competition in ages so far) and 65 for Aliev, who have been WAY better than him artistically is not fair at all, I would have given him less than 5.50 for PE, CH and IN for sure, maybe something around 6.00 for SS and TR... But we all know that big jumps most of the time mean PCS advantage, whereas poor jumps=PCS penalty :biggrin: Except for the top three, not a great competition at all, though
Now that when I think about it, I would only give Boyang 55 PCS. :unsure:
At least Petrov seemed to live his performance. Standing ovation from me to Mishin!

UnChosen

On the Ice
Maybe Jin's costume designer ran out of material so he/she just grabbed a bunch of leftover scraps and glitters and threw them together? :laugh:

I actually enjoyed Jin's technical spectacle, but I do wish the ISU would just increase the base value of the difficult jumps instead of having this unspoken code of rewarding difficulty through gifting points in the PCS.

BusyMom

Medalist
Maybe Jin's costume designer ran out of material so he/she just grabbed a bunch of leftover scraps and glitters and threw them together? :laugh:
Or he's a Trekky! He used to wear similar one in red that similar to the Enterprise's crews. :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Boyang, even with his 3 quads, is not unbeatable.
I've taken a look and there are quite a few junior skaters who have gotten 147 points and over for the free skates without any quads.
Or just one.
Shoma Uno and Hanyu Yuzuru come to mind.
Shoma has serious problems with his 3A (never landing it cleanly) but has recently developed a nice 4T.
Hanyu when a Junior had 2 3As and no quads.

Both had strong basics and spins, and have gotten high scores.
So Boyang's quads are not insurmountable if the others have better basics.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
^Han Yan, Farris, and Brown also in the recent years

caelum

On the Ice
Boyang, even with his 3 quads, is not unbeatable.
I've taken a look and there are quite a few junior skaters who have gotten 147 points and over for the free skates without any quads.
Or just one.
Shoma Uno and Hanyu Yuzuru come to mind.
Shoma has serious problems with his 3A (never landing it cleanly) but has recently developed a nice 4T.
Hanyu when a Junior had 2 3As and no quads.

Both had strong basics and spins, and have gotten high scores.
So Boyang's quads are not insurmountable if the others have better basics.

Of course he's not unbeatable - but it makes it very difficult. And if he goes clean on the jumps, it would be nearly impossible for junior level skaters to top him.

You have to remember Boyang missed a quad combination which took the quad base value down from 11.33 to 7.93, and either he was planning to do a 3T or 2T on the end of it (I don't know which), so his BV might be 7.91 or 4.83 points higher. So that would place him at 152.79 to 155.80, depending on the combo. Then consider he got minus GOE on his 4S, 4T, and 3Lz + 3T. Assuming he can do these clean, but unspectacularly (say three judges give +1, and four give +0) then his TES would increase by 3.49 points, putting him in the 156.28 to 159.29 score. Also, it's fair to assume his PCS would go up (whether it's justified or not).

So, assuming he can go even reasonably clean, he'll be hard for any junior skater to catch up to him and he can quite easily hit a junior world record.

Edit: And if he inserts that 4Lz he's been working on and then can do say a 3A + 2T, then he would be pretty much unbeatable bar disaster.

Last edited: