Help With Skates | Golden Skate

Help With Skates

Myblade

Rinkside
I am a beginner at skating and I am currently learning half /1rotation jumps. I have Riedell 113s, and I don't know if they give enough support. And if someone would tell me why skaters have to change boots because of the support, I would be very glad.

mskater93

Record Breaker
You will know if there isn't enough support because you will struggle to hold edges and there's a possibility you could injure your ankles. People change boots to provide more support as they begin to work on more difficult elements that need it. I am in custom top of the line Harlicks because 1) I am a full grown adult, 2) I am working on double jumps, and 3) I am hard on boots.

Babbette1

On the Ice
Kinzie's Closet has a boot rating chart and it says Reidell 113s are suitable for :
Advanced stroking, crossovers, forward one foot turns, consecutive edges, half-jumps, one foot spins, sit spin. Beginning single jumps.

Boots Should have stiffness rating between 40 - 50. Lowest Rating is for Youth, Higher Rating for Adults.

(PS People say that the chart doesn't match well with Skate Canada, so take that comment for what it's worth from a complete stranger.

MalAssada

Medalist
Riedell's website say that your skates are "soft"/"recreational". For single jumps, 223 Stride or up (stiffness rating 50).

Myblade

Rinkside
Thanks! Can somebody tell me what skates I should use next?( I am not a adult) that are Riedell . Are 133s okay?

Littlerain

Rinkside
Not sure if you saw bellflower's comment above, but 133s are also on the recreational side.

Have you talked to your coach or gone to a fitter?

Myblade

Rinkside
Sorry I meant 113s they seem popular at my rink and some skaters above my level use it so I'm curious

Babbette1

On the Ice
a. We don't know your height and weight, both of which are important in boot selection
b. We've never seen you skate

You probably should talk to your coach who has seen you skate and knows your height an weight.

Littlerain

Rinkside
Are riedells the best fit for you?

One thing to also consider with the 133s is that they come with a recreational blade and I don't think you can change them. Your coach will likely want you to change blades once you are jumping/ spinning , and it may take you time to adjust to the more advanced blade. I agree with someone earlier in the thread who recommended at least the 223 or above

Myblade

Rinkside
My coach recommended Jackson freestyles. What are the differences between riedell and Jackson?

concorde

Medalist
Others may disagree but at the lower levels, I think the main difference is width. Jacksons tend to work better on wider feet; Riedells work better on narrow feet.

The distance from toe to heal varies significantly between the two brands (fact for kids boots, not sure about adult boots). When my daughter used Riedells, we used one blade for awhile and then she outgrew her boots. About 18 months later (at least sets of 2 boots later), she got fitted for a new pair of Jacksons. We were able to reuse the same blades that we pulled off the Reidells 18 months before.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
Riedells are truer to shoe size as well as better fitting to a medium to narrow foot.
Jacksons there seems to be about 1/2 to full size difference and the boot size # would be smaller than your shoe size #. Jacksons are also bulkier looking.

Depending on what single jumps you are working on along with height and weight and foot shape.
- Riedell you would probably want to go with a 223 or 229
- Jackson Freestyle or Competitor (probably overkill for you though) would be suitable for what you are working.

It's best if you can go in to a shop and try both on and see if there is one you prefer over the other.