Sasha on CNN Headline News | Golden Skate

Sasha on CNN Headline News

bronxgirl

Medalist
Just a little "fluff" piece on Sasha - thought her fans might like to see this. I don't know the CNN Headline news rotation, but they should show it again sometime today.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Take heart, Sasha fans...

...Headline News shows EVERYTHING ad nauseam, over and over and over and over...at least we don't tire of Sasha:)

Sarah

bronxgirl

Medalist
it was a pure fluff piece - how much she loves working with Robin, she wants to have a magazine someday that combines her favorite interests - cooking, makeup, fitness, etc. Like I said, fluff.
I'm really not trying to diss her - she a young woman whose life has been focused on one thing - her skating. I don't think any 20 year old has their life fully planned out. She is trying to take advantage of her celebrity status (understandably) but unless this is a magazine aimed at women her own age, I don't think there will be any articles I plan to read. She's a talented skater and that has given her access to her dreams. Good luck to her, but I have too many other things I have to read to add this to something I'll want to read.

wvgal57

On the Ice
Why would it have to be magazine targeted to "young" women? Most all women I know are interested in cooking, fitness, makeup, etc. I'm sure Sasha would surround herself with talented staff and it'd be a great endeavor. Ambitious but achievable.

She has an interest in these things as in evidenced by her own design pieces, she paints, she loves good quality makeup and cosmetics and she sure is fit as a fiddle and takes courses already in nutrition.

I think it's grand she is looking past skating and in other areas that could be of interest. She seems to have an outlook in some ways like Sarah, skating is a part of her life that she'll be extremely devoted to while she is doing it (as it should be) but they both seem to have realized early on that skating as their only life goal is not acceptable.

Smart women indeed!

I'd definitely buy the magazine too!

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think Oprah already has this market, not to mention Ladies Home Journal, Good Housekeeping, Seventeen, Allure, etc etc. Magazine publishing is even more competitive than figure skating, and Sasha doesn't have the type of full blown celebrity to carry it off. I'm not sure that too many people who don't follow figure skating could tell you who Sarah Hughes is, let alone who Sasha Cohen is.
Now, if she plans on attending the Culinary Institute of America, or Johnston-Wales in Providence for training in being a chef, then I think she may have something I might like to read in Gourmet magazine.
Don't get me wrong, I wish her luck, but I don't see her long term future as the next Randolph Hearst. I enjoy her skating, and I hope she stays healthy through her future competitions.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
you stole the thoughts right out of my head bronxgirl.... As much of a sasha fan as I am, I dont forsee print media in her future.

LBC

On the Ice
Sasha is just thinking about what would she love to do in the future and that was it. At that age you have big dreams and as time goes on it changes. She wanted to be a fashion designer with her own company at one time. Next year she may want something totally different. She's going to be a skater for a number of years barring injury. I don't think she has any interest in coaching. She'll probably end up picking one of her other interests like cooking and being a chef or becoming a physical trainer or even a makeup artist. Who knows she may end up getting married and have a bunch of kids and not do any of them.
Nobody knows what the future will bring.

bronxgirl

Medalist
how true. all it takes is a wrong step, and the damage is done, I hope for the best for all fo our American Athletes.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
LBC,

Thats so true about how our goals change, it makes me laugh because I'm goign through that right now. I just found a "5 year plan" that a teacher made us write in HS where I said that I hoped to be in grad school getting my masters in digital media and broadcasting!!! Ha, I'm about to get my BSin developmental psychology.... and when I graduate I'm definately jobless.

wvgal57

On the Ice
It sure the heck isn't written in stone and she'll change her mind no doubt. But it does seem she realizes that there is more to life than a goal of ice skating and trying to win an Olympic medal. I give her kudos for not having blinders on - I honestly don't see COI or SOI continuing in the same fashion they have for these years they have. Interest is down as evidenced by ABC and other entitities diverting their money and airtime to other things. Skaters are taking pay cuts and I'm sure you are going to see a lot of wisening up going on.

I know a lot of people who don't follow figure skating and they sure as heck know who Sarah Hughes. Her skate at Olympics is the kind of skate that'll be remembered for the ages and I think that is the kind of skating a top athelete would want to have at the most important event of your sport career. She'll definitely never second guess herself or have any doubts about her stratedgy going in.

I watched Sarah's CNBC interview and am still struck by how grounded she is and she spoke of her parents and her coachs instructions of going into the Games with an attitude of simply doing the best job you could, and not make it simply about winning a medal and concentrate on just enjoying the whole experience because it does only come along every four years. The interview said something to the effect that it worked and she said yes she thought it was the right approach.

Fossi

Final Flight
Yes, but Sarah is one of a kind. Sasha is no Sarah, as evidenced by skating alone.
I wish Sasha all the luck in the world in her skating career, and whatever she does after her skating is over. But I don't understand the comparisons to Sarah. Sarah was never only focused on skating and skating alone. She had always planned to go to college, whether she won the Olympics or not.
I don't see Sasha in the same category at all as Sarah. Sasha stated early on she planned to get the gold in '02 and move on. It's all about the gold for Sasha. Not the skating. Sarah loved to skate.

wvgal57

On the Ice
Well Sasha said the part about thinking if she won the Olympic Gold she might go onto to school, etc but that was again as some are stating in this thread, comments made by a 16 year old or maybe 17 at the time of SLC.

Since it's been established by this thread that most likely even now at 19 she most likely will change her career goals, it's hardly believeable she's knew what the wanted at 16.

I still think Sasha will go the education route too though, perhaps after Turino she'll combine skating and school.

I absolutely think Sasha loves to skate, I don't see her putting in the time and hard work if she didn't. Olympic Gold is a goal but like Sarah it's obvious it is not her only goal.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
But it does seem she realizes that there is more to life than a goal of ice skating and trying to win an Olympic medal. I give her kudos for not having blinders on

It's nice that the the three most recently successful U.S. ladies though all different are all alike in someways. Sarah straight from the OGM to Harvard. Sasha even at such a bright part of her career still having the forsight to want to do other things. And Michelle takes the skate a little, school a little, play a little route. All perfectly wonderful choices for perfectly wonderful young ladies. The best of all worlds.

Enero

On the Ice
I've always been under the impression that though Sasha loves skating, she has many other passions. And that's one reason why I find her so interesting.

Like others have said, she's still very young. Hence, she will have an interest in a lot of things. I think whatever she decides to do, she will be extremely successful. She seems very creative and ambitious. I could easily see her owning her own business (whatever that might be) someday.

nuggetr

Rinkside
Fossi said:
Yes, but Sarah is one of a kind. Sasha is no Sarah, as evidenced by skating alone.
I wish Sasha all the luck in the world in her skating career, and whatever she does after her skating is over. But I don't understand the comparisons to Sarah. Sarah was never only focused on skating and skating alone. She had always planned to go to college, whether she won the Olympics or not.
I don't see Sasha in the same category at all as Sarah. Sasha stated early on she planned to get the gold in '02 and move on. It's all about the gold for Sasha. Not the skating. Sarah loved to skate.
I don't understand your post!! " but Sarah is one of a kind" they are all one of a kind.. "Its all about gold with Sasha" It is all about GOLD with ALL the skaters, HELLO!! And you can bet your sweet bippy that Sarah had her sights on the gold just the same as the rest of them.."Sarah loved to skate" if she loved it so much why is she not skating now? I know she is in school and I give her credit for that but to say she loved skating as if Sasha doesn't is just silly.:sheesh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
There is nothing wrong with being ambitious and having goals. If publishing your own magazine is too far fetched, I could certainly see Sasha writing a monthly column in an already established magazine.............works for a lot of people who "multi-task"....42