10 World titles | Page 3 | Golden Skate

10 World titles

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm almost certain S/S would have retired had they won in Vancouver. Particularly impressive that they had 8 straight World medals (and never off the podium during that time).
I think in this day and age, 10 World MEDALS would be much more attainable. But 10 titles is pretty much impossible.
I think 10 world titles would be impossible. But 10 titles including GPF, Worlds, Euro or 4CC sound possible, though.:)

gotoschool

Medalist
I think 10 world titles would be impossible. But 10 titles including GPF, Worlds, Euro or 4CC sound possible, though.:)

Mao has 10 titles from this group: 4 titles in 9 Grand Prix seasons (withdrew in 2011 so really 8), 3 out of 8 Worlds and 3 out of 6 Four Continents.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not winning the OGM factored largely in their decision (Kwan's at least) to continue skating competitively.

No I am just saying that many world titles does not necessarily mean OGM. I forget how well Ssquared have done mayb ein part because they so rarely skate clean and seem to always win with flawed performances.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think ten world titles for anyone is unlikely or at least very difficult. First, the competition market is far greater than in the early 1900's. Second, COP makes all these difficult elements ie spins and jumps which are hard on the human body which has limits whereas years ago the elements were far easier and less hard on the body. Third, there are many more required elements that are difficult - more rotations and positions which also substantially includes the risk of errors. with more and or greater variables ie grades of execution, positions, rotations etc there is a greater chance for error and thus upsets or different results fourth, the point system of COP makes it harder too - to fudge the results so to speak - despite the complaints. If you don't have the jumps and rotations you can't get the point. But how much of a change would there be if you had say 4 double jumps versus now say 8 jumping passes for the guys including combos and such. Much greater chance for variation of results. the judges could easily mark on reputation more so on the past with hard to differentiate elements.