UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying | Golden Skate

UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying

Alba

Record Breaker
The qualifying competition for UEFA Euro 2016 is scheduled to be played from 7 September 2014 – 17 November 2015 to determine the 23 teams to join France, who qualify automatically as hosts of UEFA Euro 2016.
Fifty-three member associations will participate in the qualifying process for the tournament places, with Gibraltar taking part for the first time.

Group A: Netherlands, Czech Republic, Turkey, Latvia, Iceland, Kazakhstan

Group B: Bosnia&Herzegovina, Belgium, Israel, Wales, Cyprus, Andorra

Group C: Spain, Ukraine, Slovakia, Belarus, Macedonia, Luxembourg

Group D: Germany, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Scotland, Georgia, Gibraltar

Group E: England, Switzerland, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, San Marino

Group F: Greece, Hungary, Romania, Finland, Northen Ireland, Faroe Islands

Group G: Russia, Sweden, Austria, Montenegro, Moldova, Liechtenstein

Group H: Italy, Croatia, Norway, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Malta

Group I: Portugal, Denmark, Serbia, Armenia, Albania

The group winners, runners-up, and the best third-placed team (with the results against the sixth-placed team discarded) directly qualify to the finals. The eight remaining third-placed teams contest two-legged play-offs to determine the last four qualifiers for the finals.

Matchday 1 7–9 September 2014
Matchday 2 9–11 October 2014
Matchday 3 12–14 October 2014
Matchday 4 14–16 November 2014
Matchday 5 27–29 March 2015
Matchday 6 12–14 June 2015
Matchday 7 3–5 September 2015
Matchday 8 6–8 September 2015
Matchday 9 8–10 October 2015
Matchday 10 11–13 October 2015
Play-off 1st leg 12–14 November 2015
Play-off 2nd leg 15–17 November 2015

LRK

Record Breaker
Perfect! Now I won't be completely ignorant come the Euros' (as is my usual wont) - thanks for starting the thread, Alba! :)

Alba

Record Breaker
Perfect! Now I won't be completely ignorant come the Euros' (as is my usual wont) - thanks for starting the thread, Alba! :)

You don't follow Euros too much? :)

Italy's Conte is making their debut tonight, in a friendly with Holland. They're winning 2-0 and I must say played very well in the first half.
Just a friendly though, but usually we don't care about them and therefore we tend to have a poor performance.
I hope their attitude will change, also because the friendlies counts for the ranking.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for this thread, Alba. Like LRK, I'll try to follow Euros more closely this time.

I think it makes sense to not go all out for friendlies, to avoid injuries for more important matches. A bit of a letdown for fans in the stadium though, perhaps.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Thanks for making a thread for Euros! I'm rooting for Germany, my fav is Marco Reus and he got injured and didn't get to go the World Cup so I'm hoping he'll do well in Euros and win a major title with the team

I'm usually a Spain supporter but Xabi Alonso (my favourite football player), Iniesta, Xavi, and Villa have retired from international football, so disheartening

LRK

Record Breaker
@Alba - I do watch Euros - I mean, the tournament itself. I watch Euros and Worlds - and nothing in between. No qualifiers, nothing. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person - so each second year I spend a month intense football-watching. Generally when I start I have not the foggiest clue about... anything! Not even who has qualified, or anything! Quite ridiculous, realy. :) So, I'm counting on your guys to keep me up to date this time. :)

@Krunchii - Oh, no! I knew about Villa - but Xabi Alonso, Iniesta and Xaxi as well? :cry: I too am a Spain supporter.

Alba

Record Breaker
Thank you for this thread, Alba. Like LRK, I'll try to follow Euros more closely this time.

I think it makes sense to not go all out for friendlies, to avoid injuries for more important matches. A bit of a letdown for fans in the stadium though, perhaps.

Yeah, but unfortunately friendlies makes points as well for UEFA and FIFA ranking, which I think it's stupid.

I'm usually a Spain supporter but Xabi Alonso (my favourite football player), Iniesta, Xavi, and Villa have retired from international football, so disheartening

I knew about Xavi and Villa but had no idea that also Iniesta and Xabi have retired.
However, Spain has a lot of talented players. I'm sure they will be fine.

@Alba - I do watch Euros - I mean, the tournament itself. I watch Euros and Worlds - and nothing in between. No qualifiers, nothing. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person - so each second year I spend a month intense football-watching. Generally when I start I have not the foggiest clue about... anything! Not even who has qualified, or anything! Quite ridiculous, realy. :) So, I'm counting on your guys to keep me up to date this time. :)

Well, in the end it's the tournment that counts, right? :biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
Tonight Norway - Italy!

The match is about to start. Forza Azzurri. :party:

LRK

Record Breaker
Half of Europe will be making it...

Is there any page where the results are conveniently listed?

Alba

Record Breaker
Half of Europe will be making it...

Is there any page where the results are conveniently listed?

BBC: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/results
The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/football/euro-2016-qualifying/results

and if you want to read some comment and videos about the games last night, here is The Guardian Euro 2016 qualifiers clockwatch – as it happened:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2014/sep/09/euro-2016-qualifiers-clockwatch-live

Czech Republic 2-1 Holland. The second goal was OMG!:laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Forthcoming qualifiers against San Marino (h), Estonia (a), Slovenia (h) and Lithuania (h) are unlikely to set too many pulses racing, even among the players, for whom extreme complacency is likely to be the only stumbling block as they canter to qualification in what should be a series of routine wins. They won’t improve much, their paying public will be bored and once they get to France, the tournament’s new format means they could qualify from whatever group they’re in without winning a game. At some point these Euros will spark into life – but it’s unlikely to happen until late June 2016. Well done, Uefa. Well done.

I fully agree with this. Expanding the tournamant was a complete joke.
I mean Gibraltar? Seriously? :rolleye:
No offence but...:sarcasm:

And in more ways than one, it seems. Fortunate to avoid celebrating his 100th appearance for Sweden with a red card for what looked suspiciously like an premeditated elbow on Austria’s David Alaba during the 1-1 draw played out between the two nations, the striker also looked less than impressed with striker Rubin Okotie’s meek attempts to lay hands on him while on defensive duties at a set piece. The Swede’s contempt-tinged look of puzzled surprise spoke volumes. In a nutshell: you just don’t touch the Zlatan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mdNscQ2vY

:rofl:

Other than Russia (who had 31 goal attempts in their 4-0 home win over Liechtenstein and still needed their opponents to score the first two goals for them – “We should have taken our chances,” admitted the midfielder Aleksandr Samedov, “but we were helped by the fact they took our chances for us”, no team in Europe had more chances than Belarus. Even Poland, who scored seven without reply in their Sunday stroll in Gibraltar, couldn’t better the Belarusians when it comes to goal attempts.

OMG! :laugh:

Meanwhile in Africa ...

Qualification for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations continued with another 14 fixtures. The 30th edition of the tournament will be played from 17 January through to 8 February in Morocco next year, which ought to prompt the usual chorus of moaning from assorted managers who’d either forgotten about or were completely unaware of it, when they signed players who were likely to be competing.
Everton fans will be pleased to hear that Samuel Eto’o has once again announced his retirement from the Cameroon squad, although history suggests he may very well review his decision if they qualify.

:biggrin:

More here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/10/football-international-week-talking-points

BusyMom

Medalist
I watched Sweden match. And I want to repeat Alba's sentiment regarding Zlatan's incident, SERIOUSLY! That guy had been pulling and pushing him and cried out that the ref scared of Zlatan and Swedish FA to gave him a red card. Ha ha.

LRK

Record Breaker
:rofl: at the idea of anyone being scared of the Swedish FA... Oh, my word... ! No, really... just thinking of it again....

:rofl: oh, dear... (calms down a little)

Anyway, BusyMom, I hear you are coming along nicely as a Sweden fan - "He deserved what he got for messing with the Zlatan - yeah!"

Again thinking of the Imposing Menace that is the Swedish FA.... Oh, my! Excuse me...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alba

Record Breaker
Anyway, BusyMom, I hear you are coming along nicely as a Sweden fan - "He deserved what he got for messing with the Zlatan - yeah!"

:laugh:

Again thinking of the Imposing Menace that is the Swedish FA.... Oh, my! Excuse me...

That was a bit ridiculous yeah. :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: