Skating: More Scrutiny on judges? | Golden Skate

Skating: More Scrutiny on judges?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman, "beat me to the punch" on this one. I was going to post this article from TSN; here it is anyway, for anyone interested. It's a little more brief, but hits all the points.

Skating: More scrutiny on judges?

Associated Press

4/16/2004

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) - All officials involved in figure skating competitions will have their performances scrutinized under proposals by the International Skating Union on Friday.

A panel would use computer analysis and video replay to assess the judges, technical experts and referee immediately after major competitions, the ISU said.

The findings would be forwarded to the ISU, and punishments would be imposed ``in the case of serious or repeated mistakes or bias,'' the organization said.

The proposal is part of the ISU's final recommendation for a new judging system that was created following the Salt Lake City Olympics pairs scandal. The ISU Congress will vote on the proposal during its June 7-11 meeting in Scheveningen, the Netherlands.

The ISU's experimental points-based system was used in Grand Prix competition this season. If approved, it will be in place for international events beginning with the 2004-05 season, including the 2005 world championships and 2006 Olympics.

The new system is based on cumulative points of jumps, spins and stepwork. It would replace the traditional 6.0 format.

A two-thirds majority vote of ISU figure skating members at the meeting is required for passage.