2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 JGP Ostrava Czech Skate Ladies Free Skate

Rhodium

On the Ice
An interesting regularity - Russian first, Japanese second, American third the 3rd time in a row.

sunnybear

Rinkside
Wakaba was just AMAZING! OMG. I am still reeling. All her jumps were perfect especially that 3Lz 3T! And on her first JGP no less! /flails :clap::bow:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For someone who's scored a 69 for TES before that's a very small consolation prize. At least she has a shot at the final, hopefully she can up her tech content by her next assignment.

She certainly did in the FS with a 3z-3t and a 2a-3t in what looks to be the second half. Just hopes she can execute that layout next time.

stryke

On the Ice
Sorry about Karen :( but I can't help but be extremely happy for Medvedeva. Eteri's girls are clean sweeping the golds.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sorry about Karen :( but I can't help but be extremely happy for Medvedeva. Eteri's girls are clean sweeping the golds.

That was why I awarded Eteri for coach of the year award, what ever is that she did, she is doing something right with those girls. Russia Nationals is going to get absolutely crazy! It will take some artificial PCS boost as usual from the federation politics to get their ducks in order, otherwise it is really open. We may get some surprising podium finishes otherwise.

Nena

Rinkside
What is the minimum TES for junior worlds this year? I was wondering if the Thai girl got the minimum or not.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Medvedeva books a well-earned place at the final!

Higuchi - WOW! Amazing! What a talent! If she can skate like that in Germany, she could make it to Barcelona too! But she'll be up against Chen and Iushenko again... and Proklova... and Ice Is Slippery...

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
And another gift for US girl. Unbelievable that she got 100+ points for that skate. Overscored as hell. I just caaaaaan't... Poor Mariko, she had 2 almost clean skates and still no medal.

Congrats to Zhenia and Wakaba. Great job girls.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow more "e" calls this time around. It cost Medvedeva the FS (but not the gold) and Chen was nailed for her 3lip.

It's incredibly stupid that Chen's lip was worth just 2.9 points and Medvedeva's tano flutz was 3.4.

Congrats to Evgenia for winning and Wakaba for a fantastic FS!

The Latvian was also great... Too bad she zayaked her 3-jump combo.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And another gift for US girl. Unbelievable that she got 100+ points for that skate. Overscored as hell. I just caaaaaan't... Poor Mariko, she had 2 almost clean skates and still no medal.

Yeah Mariko really deserved bronze, IMO. Chen is quite lucky.

hanca

Record Breaker
Medvedeva books a well-earned place at the final!

Higuchi - WOW! Amazing! What a talent! If she can skate like that in Germany, she could make it to Barcelona too! But she'll be up against Chen and Iushenko again... and Proklova... and Ice Is Slippery...

She may not be against Yushenko. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Yushenko's second event from her. Too many skaters needing event and they definitely won't consider Yushenko's skating here a success. They may give a chance Pervshkina to have two events (depending on how she does in her first one) or Kolomiets if she heals in time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

She lost like 13 points between base value and -GOE. I'd hardly call that gifted. She would has score like 110 at least (and I'm being conservative) had she been better.

I guess you could argue the PCS angle.... I still this Chen performed the program, even with the mistakes.

Also let's not forget that Chen had a 7 point lead from the SP.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
She lost like 13 points between base value and -GOE. I'd hardly call that gifted. She would has score like 110 at least (and I'm being conservative) had she been better.

Yes, you're right. But.
My point was that she was worth than Mariko and should be lower. Her PCS were way too high (same as Medvedeva with not comparable FS today), and her +GOE on her other elements were too high also. Just look at the protocol, she has +2 almost for everything, except for her OBVIOUS mistakes. Probably because Judges wanted to compensate her mistakes. And they did it brilliantly. Congratulations.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeah Mariko really deserved bronze, IMO. Chen is quite lucky.

Karen lead the field by almost 5 points in the short and was 1st, 4th in FS. Mariko was 4th/3rd in sp/lp.

Rightfully Karen was punished in her tech score include GOEs (despite going for an ambitious layout) in theFS, so indeed that was a poor skate for early season starter, but overall still she had almost 8 points lead over Mariko from the short. Perhaps Mariko is under marked due to lack of reputation (which one need to earn as Karen did), but how would you mark Karen differently?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, you're right. But.
My point was that she was worth than Mariko and should be lower. Her PCS were way too high (same as Medvedeva with not comparable FS today), and her +GOE on her other elements were too high also. Just look at the protocol, she has +2 almost for everything, except for her OBVIOUS mistakes. Probably because Judges wanted to compensate her mistakes. And they did it brilliantly. Congratulations.

She mainly got majority +2 on her non-jump elements, namely her steps and spins, which were quite good. Her jumps got +1 mainly and a whole lot of zeros.

And they did mark her down on her wonky layback, cause in the SP she got +2 and +3. Today she got
no +3 and a bunch of +1.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
She mainly got majority +2 on her non-jump elements, namely her steps and spins, which were quite good. Her jumps got +1 mainly and a whole lot of zeros.

And now look at Medvedeva's GOE. 0s and +1s mainly. So her elements were worth today? It's just my opinion, but something's not right.

Snow63

Record Breaker
And they did mark her down on her wonky layback, cause in the SP she got +2 and +3. Today she got
no +3 and a bunch of +1.

With this I agree.
But overall, still too much.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen any footage yet but the protocols are up. Karen must have skated fairly well to match Medvedeva on PCS and have the second highest PCS scores.