Canada's skating program without Chan, Virtue-Moir | Golden Skate

Canada's skating program without Chan, Virtue-Moir

Alba

Record Breaker
Scott and Tessa mentoring W&P perhaps? :think:

For nearly a decade, Weaver and Poje operated in the shadow of Virtue and Moir. Now, they're the tone-setters in ice dance and their Detroit-based camp has not been above asking the former Olympic champs for some knowledge.

That's part of why Moir was in the building.

“I think (Tessa and Scott) know everything there is to know about technique and artistry (in terms of) connection – all the things we want to improve,” Weaver said. “For either of them to see the programs and give us a little feedback would be extremely valuable. If they could do that, we would be very grateful.”

Keeping an open mind has been a common theme in Weaver and Poje's rise through the ranks. While most athletes draw a line between competitor and fan, they don't.
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/0...-program-begins-life-without-chan-virtue-moir

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well now its time for Weaver and Poje and Reynolds to step up. Sure it won't be the same but there must be a new generation of talented skaters every number of years.

The podiums will look very interesting this year.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I just hope this will not lessen Canada's coverage of Figure Skating events.
I like watching CBC coverage, but will they continue as they have before?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Scott and Tessa mentoring W&P perhaps? :think:

For nearly a decade, Weaver and Poje operated in the shadow of Virtue and Moir. Now, they're the tone-setters in ice dance and their Detroit-based camp has not been above asking the former Olympic champs for some knowledge.

That's part of why Moir was in the building.

“I think (Tessa and Scott) know everything there is to know about technique and artistry (in terms of) connection – all the things we want to improve,” Weaver said. “For either of them to see the programs and give us a little feedback would be extremely valuable. If they could do that, we would be very grateful.”

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/0...-program-begins-life-without-chan-virtue-moir

@tessavirtue
Strange sitting in the stands at the @skatecanada HP camp, but exciting to see inspiring material from those on the ice! #teamcanada
8:04 AM - 5 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/507907211608469504

So Tessa also was/is at High Performance Camp, and I think the answer to your question would be Yes :), at least to some extent. Esp. b/c Virtue/Moir have had such a long and strong friendship with Weaver/Poje.
(Not unlike Charlie White mentoring his close friends the Shibs :), although they have the advantage of proximity and prob. more "face time" for consultations.)

Anyway, I think it's great that V/M are at HP Camp. They love to give back, and I would even extrapolate that it is possible that they are providing feedback to others in addition to Weaver/Poje.

Thx for the article and thread, Alba. :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I just hope this will not lessen Canada's coverage of Figure Skating events.
I like watching CBC coverage, but will they continue as they have before?

It probably wont in saying that, are theystill going ahead with the cuts at cbc?

Antilles

Medalist
GF2445, as far as I know, the cuts are still a go. However, I don't know how many years they bought skating rights for. It's possible the cuts won't be noticed right away if they still have a contract for another year or two.

Alba

Record Breaker
So Tessa also was/is at High Performance Camp, and I think the answer to your question would be Yes :), at least to some extent. Esp. b/c Virtue/Moir have had such a long and strong friendship with Weaver/Poje.
(Not unlike Charlie White mentoring his close friends the Shibs, although they have the advantage of proximity and prob. more "face time" for consultations.)

Anyway, I think it's great that V/M are at HP Camp. They love to give back, and I would even extrapolate that it is possible that they are providing feedback to others in addition to Weaver/Poje.

Thank you for the info. :)

It's sad for me not to see Tessa and Scott competing. :cry:
However, I'm glad they are going to be involved somehow and hopefully they will have their own school.

My secret desire is to see Elena and Ruslan (only them from Russia :biggrin:) working with Tessa and Scott.
I know Elena loves them, and it will be great for them (I&Z) to work with such a great ice dance couple like V&M. :love:

Skate97

Rinkside
GF2445, as far as I know, the cuts are still a go. However, I don't know how many years they bought skating rights for. It's possible the cuts won't be noticed right away if they still have a contract for another year or two.

CBC had a five-year contract with the ISU. There's still at least one season left on that contract (maybe 2), so we'll still get coverage of the upcoming season. After that, though, we could be out of luck. When CBC announced the cut-backs after they lost hockey, they said they would no longer bid on sports that don't make a profit for them. I don't know if they make a profit, or how much of a profit, on figure skating.

Alba

Record Breaker
An historic hat-trick for Canada at JGP in Ostrava.

Pairs: Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau (1st both in SP&LP) total score: 159,40
Ice Dance: Mackenzie Bent/Garrett Mackeen (1st both in SD&FD) total score: 138,17
Men: Roman Sadovsky (1st in SP, 3rd in LP) total score: 192,08

mont

Spectator
Hard to imagine how it could make a profit on skating. The demographics aren't the best.

m0001

On the Ice
Do I understand that PChan will not compete at the national championship 2015 in Kingston?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
There is definitely going to be a new roster of skaters going forward, but that is the nature of figure skating. I am looking forward to the upcoming season. I sure hope the CBC continues to broadcast figure skating, but with all the cuts it's hard to say.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Briefly, it may look like this:

Dance: W/P lead the way, they came within a hair of becoming world champions (is the expression "by the skin of their teeth"?). If they improve, they could surpass their Italian rivals and become world champs in a year or two (the flow of Russian teams notwithstanding). Gilles / Poirier and Islam / Paul are both very promising. I always forget Poirier already went to the 2010 OG with former partner Vanessa Crone, so he's already an experienced competitor. We should anticipate at least two or even three teams all within the top ten from Canada at 2015W.

Pairs: D/R will lead this season at least, but MT/M v2 and possibly Dylan M with Lyubov might work out. We will presume that D/R will set the pace. Look for at least D/R to place top 5 or on the podium at 2015W, and possibly at least one more team in the top 10.

Men: Reynolds should be stepping up, but Nguyen made waves for winning world juniors and performing ably at both nationals and worlds. He should take his time to develop consistency and advance through the rankings so that he can handle pressure a bit at a time. Balde has already proven himself to be a crowd-pleasing exhibition skater, hopefully that will also translate well into competition. It's possible that both Reynolds and Nguyen can place in top 10, but with so many rising up from the junior ranks it's tough to say at this point how they will place.

Ladies: Will be the most interesting, with Osmond now out for at least the first part of the season if not more (get well soon Kaetlyn!). We can presume either Daleman or Chartrand to rise, but they're young and don't have the experience or depth of another country with a much deeper field, such as Russia, Japan or the US. We will have to take a wait-and-see approach? It looks like a blank slate and open season this year in this discipline.

Thoughts?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Carol Lane
‏@cjlanecoach
So excited to hear I will be back at CBC for the figure skating season, can't wait to see the gang @cbcsports #brandnewseason
6:19 PM - 17 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/cjlanecoach/status/512410671410315266

Great! Actually, in one of their podcasts they mentioned that they get a lot of fan mail from Japan saying they like CBC broadcasts...so it's not just me, or the Canadians who appreciate it. :biggrin:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Thank you to this thread for reminding me of another point of evidence I wanted to make, with regards to how having successful skaters isn't usually enough to make figure skating lucrative in a country (much less growing the sport as a whole, not just creating more skating interest solely for their own countrymen). After 2012 Worlds, Patrick Chan was a 2-time World champ and Virtue/Moir were 2-time World champs plus the reigning Olympic champs. You'd think that with 2013 Worlds in Canada and with these massively successful Canadian skaters, it would have been a huge deal. But it wasn't.

Alba

Record Breaker
Great! Actually, in one of their podcasts they mentioned that they get a lot of fan mail from Japan saying they like CBC broadcasts...so it's not just me, or the Canadians who appreciate it. :biggrin:

I like it too, and I like Carol Lane.