One To Watch, Boyang Jin from China | Golden Skate

One To Watch, Boyang Jin from China

Icey

Record Breaker
Since he only turns 17 in October, he has time to improve in these areas and I suspect and hope he will. Just someone to watch who has promise imo. Another is the Korean, Lee . I can't see Jin headed in the Kevin Reynolds direction at all. That being said, Kevin has improved in the last few years imo.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I like the choreography but his performance left me a bit cold. I DID see some moments of spark but still...cold :/

lbc2138

On the Ice
I think he's improved artistically from last season already. Or it could be because this is a much better program. I like it! Hope he does great this season :)

sunnybear

Rinkside
Boyang's Tango was very entertaining in the wrong way. I wonder what possessed him to choose a tango... :laugh: I think it's because he's trying to act all sensual and sexy but his face is deadpan and I just find it so funny! :laugh:

He has good jumps but he really needs to improve his spins and his speed. Also, he can do a lot of quads but they're not very high quality. I noticed on his protocols in Ljubljana that he got lower marks for his quad than his 3Lz-3T combo which is kind of defeating the purpose of doing a quad?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The jumps terrify me. All I can see is a kid who is going to be broken in the not very distant future.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Boyang's Tango was very entertaining in the wrong way. I wonder what possessed him to choose a tango... :laugh: I think it's because he's trying to act all sensual and sexy but his face is deadpan and I just find it so funny! :laugh:

Well, a Tango face is often quite stern.

He has good jumps but he really needs to improve his spins and his speed. Also, he can do a lot of quads but they're not very high quality. I noticed on his protocols in Ljubljana that he got lower marks for his quad than his 3Lz-3T combo which is kind of defeating the purpose of doing a quad?

No. There are specific numbers of solo and combo jumps a competitor is allowed to do in a program so they don't substitute. A skater does the highest scoring of solo jumps and combos he can within the limits.

sunnybear

Rinkside
No. There are specific numbers of solo and combo jumps a competitor is allowed to do in a program so they don't substitute. A skater does the highest scoring of solo jumps and combos he can within the limits.

I know that.

What I meant is that he doesn't do the quad well enough to get the most out of it. The quality is still lacking, so much so that it pretty much negates the advantage of having a quad in his program. It’s like quantity but no quality yet. He may be winning in the junior circuit now but when he reaches the senior level, almost everyone has a quad and they can get higher GOE because they do it much better. That said, Boyang is still young so he definitely has time to refine his skills.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I know that.

What I meant is that he doesn't do the quad well enough to get the most out of it. The quality is still lacking, so much so that it pretty much negates the advantage of having a quad in his program. It’s like quantity but no quality yet. He may be winning in the junior circuit now but when he reaches the senior level, almost everyone has a quad and they can get higher GOE because they do it much better. That said, Boyang is still young so he definitely has time to refine his skills.

How is Boyang, at 17, going to improve on the quads if he does not do them in his programs? Both his 4T and 4S in this event were ratified and gave him 9.50 and 8.87 points respectively, just a little less than his highest scoring solo, the 3A. What other jumps should replace these quads for him?

How do you feel about Hanyu regularly getting less for his 4S and Takahashi getting less for his 4T than Jin and yet they do not stop doing them in their programs? Sometimes it pays off for them, big time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I accept that Boyang should do the quads if he's got them. But my problem with his quads is the way he lands them. They're very "heavy", and high impact. He's going to break. :cry:

How is Boyang, at 17, going to improve on the quads if he does not do them in his programs? Both his 4T and 4S in this event were ratified and gave him 9.50 and 8.87 points respectively, just a little less than his highest scoring solo, the 3A. What other jumps should replace these quads for him?

How do you feel about Hanyu regularly getting less for his 4S and Takahashi getting less for his 4T than Jin and yet they do not stop doing them in their programs? Sometimes it pays off for them, big time.

Eh. I don't think sunnybear said that Boyang shouldn't do his quads. She did not say that at all. In fact I think everyone approves of him practicing them more in competitions! She also never said that he should replace his quads with other jumps.

What she meant was that his quads aren't of very high quality and are worth less than even his 3Lz-3T. I do agree with karne his quads need work on the landing. He has big jumping power though, and should have no problem with them in a few years' time (barring injury).

sunnybear

Rinkside
Nobody said he should replace them. I’m simply saying that the quality isn’t there yet but didn't I say that he still has time to refine his skills? And note that I am saying this based solely on this skate.
The same goes for Hanyu. It is true that his 4S still lacks quality and consistency like Fernandez’s but that doesn't necessarily mean he should replace it. It just means he needs to work on it more.

teapot

Rinkside
Eh. I don't think sunnybear said that Boyang shouldn't do his quads. She did not say that at all. In fact I think everyone approves of him practicing them more in competitions! She also never said that he should replace his quads with other jumps.

What she meant was that his quads aren't of very high quality and are worth less than even his 3Lz-3T. I do agree with karne his quads need work on the landing. He has big jumping power though, and should have no problem with them in a few years' time (barring injury).

The BV of a 4T and 3lz-3t is very very close, it's normal that he scored his 3lz-3t higher than the 4T, given the fact that 4T is a more difficult jump to execute well.

This means he gets negative GOEs on his 4T, but fares better on his 3Lz-3T (understandably). The negative GOEs indicate that he needs to amp up the quality of his quads. I don't want Boyang to be like Kevin Reynolds. Kevin has many many quads in his repertoire, but they're often scored as very low quality jumps with negative GOE and don't do much to gain him points. Boyang has an impressive number of 2 quads, and the important thing for him right now is to get them to be as high quality as possible.

sunnybear

Rinkside
^ Hmm. I think it's because Kevin's quads are frequently underrotated. But yeah, Kevin loads his programs with quads but doesn't get the most out of it either. I think Boyang has a better chance of improving his quads than Kevin cos he already gets good height and rotation.

Icey

Record Breaker
Actually with his quads, in international competition, he has done 14 quads and has received +goe's on 7 and -goe's on 7.

That's great to know. Like sunnybear said, landing issues aside, he does have good height and rotation. If he doesn't strain too much and focuses on improving the quality of his 2 quads, he could greatly improve that track record.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think it's not the quads and landing issue the problem. But the skating overall, along with the presentation.

His basics and presentation...are not pleasing to my eyes. In term of basic skills and speed he is not equal to Han Yan at the same age. In the same competition, I prefer Petrov much better. Petrov might be a bit generic at the moment, but I can feel that he was skating to music. And Petrov is younger, 15 years old. While Boyang is almost 17. If they were the same age and executed the same type of jumps, I can see Petrov getting much higher +GOE overall.

BoYang got 0.9 GOE for the LP with 3 quads, while Petrov got +4.41 GOE for his Lp with a lesser layout and no quad. His PCS was 64, in the same competition Petrov got 67, which I think was not right. The PCS gap between these 2 should be much higher.

BoYang is 1m56 to wiki, but he might get taller now, maybe 1m60? Still not sure about the growth spurt, like karne said. Had he stayed 1m56 and doesn't grew taller anymore, that might be an advantage. Having said that, I think he will be fine, not in term of artistry or basic skill, but in term of jumps. Since judges tend to be generous with big jumps. As long as you can land the big jumps, your PCS will rise. But that PCS might never be too high.

After watching his new SP, I thought "well he did improve a bit, still not yet but well" then his LP made me think "uhm...no, I can't".

I think his jumps will be okay, not beautiful in my eyes, but definitely will be okay in the judges eyes. The thing is, how do I say it... I am not optimistic about his presentation overall. The coach might choose some programs that suit him and help him conceal the weakness. But overall, I prefer watching the like of Petrov, or Jason Brown without quads over a 3 quad program with poor presentation.

ks777

Record Breaker
His jumps are very similar, in the air, to Lu Chen's. He reminds me of a female skater..