Help: Stretching and working out makes me less flexible?! | Golden Skate

Help: Stretching and working out makes me less flexible?!

juliek

Spectator
Hey everyone,

I’m new here and need some help concerning stretching.
Well, first things first: I’m just a recreational skater, 18 years old and started skating about 2 years ago.
I’m doing single jumps and working on sit spins and camel spins now.

Since I can’t be on the ice that often, I like to do off ice exercises.
Last year, I began working out and stretching about three times a week, but it didn’t improved my skating. On the contrary, my coach and I both noticed that my spirals were much lower and I could’nt put my leg as high as I did before.
All in all, I felt more inflexible…

Does anyone has a clue why this happened (or what I did wrong...) ?

Thanks a lot!

MalAssada

Medalist
I am no pro, but it is suggested that you stretch a little every day instead of 3 times a week for a longer time. What kind of exercises are you doing?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am no pro, but it is suggested that you stretch a little every day instead of 3 times a week for a longer time. What kind of exercises are you doing?

This that and a bag of Doritos :) Stretching is like exercise. Doing it two or three times a week for 2hrs at a time won't do much...and I believe it may actually hurt it. You shpuld be doing it 10-30 mins a day ...EVERYDAY......this is the key in my experience.

Not that you want to be Lipnitskaya flexi but she does 45mins a day Everyday just to maintain hers. She said if she takes even a day off she feels it going away.

Anyway good luck to you. I personally do resistance training with elastic bands and a giant medicine ball every morning and before bed.

juliek

Spectator
Thanks a lot :)
I didn't know it is THAT important to stretch everyday! Well, you can see I'm a beginner, haha :D

I do hamstring stretch, pike and straddle stretch, hip flexor stretch, back & chest stretches (such as cobra) and the splits.
Can you recommend other exercises? :)

MalAssada

Medalist
No more of a begginer than I am, I don't even have ice to train :p So I don't know of any special exercises for figure skating, sorry. I will be following this thread to see if Sam has some wise advice.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks!

I did some further research: "overstretching or sharp movements cause the stretch reflex to be stimulated which causes a contraction in the muscle thus preventing it from lengthening" (http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretchnotes.htm). This might be the answer to my question.

I will change my routine and stretch every day :)

That is a great read. Thank you for the insight.

During off ice sessions I've always stressed that one of the biggest assets to flexibility is a strong core. Being flexible is good but if your core is weak it acts to prevent any flexible positions from maintaining control and poise. One of the ways I recommend to compliment your stretching is what I call triangle planks but I think most people call them side planks. Like this.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-URxUU4ysSCE/UnQcO-6WasI/AAAAAAAAFr4/vrh4e4tzLZU/s1600/side+plank.jpg

Hold this with your free arm rested on your body for 10-25 seconds depending on your conditioning. Alternate between sides and after about 3-5 minutes of this take a basic stretch position that you intend to work on and stretch casually for a few minutes but no more than 3-5 (maybe less is better here ) Then return to your side planks and this time during the halfway count of each plank very slowly raise your free arm into a perpendicular position like this and hold it for at least 5-10 seconds (maybe more is better here)

http://www.mybodymyway.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/side-plank.jpg

Once you become comfortable with this you can even add light weights to your free arm. The key is to very slowly raise your free arm into position. This motion helps create strength and muscle memory associated with stretching and flexibility.

Here is an exercise I developed myself but I'm sure it's already been done. Anyway. It requires a large medicine ball. You start by planking with both feet on the medicine ball and your hands in push-up position facing downward.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/fe/55/8bfe55109e4afa160ad06b7ad1a10765.jpg

Do one very slow push up and then hold. VERY SLOWLY bring one leg forward until you can set your foot on the ground and into a position from which your can stand up but always keeping the other leg on the medicine ball(this requires balance). Your foot on the ground becomes your center of balance and slowly stand up with your arms outstretched to the sides and hold this position. Then roll the medicine ball very gently backward with your free leg that is still on it and never comes off of the ball. Begin to bend your front knee while keeping your back leg which should still be centered over the ball. Now we are practicing balance, strength, and flexibility. It's actually the perfect position that skaters strive for after landing a jump and similar to a spiral except I prefer to keep the body straight up and down but feel free to alter the final position into more of a spiral type position if that suits your needs better.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1f/51/24/1f51245bde4c38ac3657653f3ff06489.jpg

Now work your way back into a push up slowly....focusing first on rolling the ball forward and then get your hands into push up position. Then very slowly return both legs back to the ball and you should be in a push up plank again. Do a very slow push up and then repeat the whole process with the other leg.

Anyway you can see the trend here. Slowly build your exercise routine with a multitude of angles and attack. Start with a light workout like a plank, then ease into stretching, then increase your planks, then increase your stretching, then mix in some running, back to planks, back to stretching, etc... you can do whatever fits your needs best.

Hopefully some of this is helpful or maybe just interesting to read at the very least. I plan on starting a thread all about dieting and exercises at some point but I'm just so busy these days even finding the time to write out anything so detailed like this was tough. I do thank you because I haven't written out these things in some time and it's a good way to refresh and regain a clear image of what I intend to accomplish with my workouts for me and for others.

juliek

Spectator
Thanks for taking the time to write this down, I appreciate it!!! This is really helpful :)

I had an idea to keep a little journal about stretching (and also skating), so I can see the progress and which exercises helped me the most.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
juliek, I am the same age as you are, and I stretch for about 10 minutes every day. I can do a Biellmann with a nearly straight free leg and I-spin position off ice with no problem just after doing these position for 5-10 minutes a day. I began with just "trying" to get the positions and after maybe a few months I was able to get them as I wanted to -- and I was really inflexible before, haha. :laugh:

gourry

Final Flight
From the New York Times http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/

I've been following their columns on stretching and flexibility for years. As near as I can figure out, no one has a clue.

Wow this is really interesting read. Thanks!
So, when we apply this to figure skating, it is better not doing stretching before on ice activity or competitions? And it is still beneficial to stretch after on ice training and other time of day?

vlaurend

Final Flight
Thanks!

I did some further research: "overstretching or sharp movements cause the stretch reflex to be stimulated which causes a contraction in the muscle thus preventing it from lengthening" (http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretchnotes.htm). This might be the answer to my question.

I will change my routine and stretch every day :)

I think you figured out the problem. I was going to ask you how long you hold each stretch position, and whether or not you "bounce" when you stretch. It's not how often you stretch or how long you spend stretching each time; what's most important is that you hold each position for a full 30 seconds, use correct form and stretch gradually instead of over-stretching or bouncing. I got forward splits in both directions for the first time in my life in my 40's by stretching correctly and patiently for 30-45 minutes right after skating 4 times a week. I now do the stretches just 3 times a week and have maintained my splits. My spirals are also higher than they ever used to be. The key to that breakthrough was using correct form on each stretch and holding each position for a full 30 seconds (use a stopwatch) before going deeper. You should feel a stretch but it should NOT hurt. And never make quick pushing or bouncing movements because that makes the muscles contract and tighten up.

Also, that article does make some valid points. Don't do deep static stretches before exercising. Do them after exercising, when your muscles are warm and you don't need to generate power with your muscles. Before skating or other exercise, do dynamic stretches instead, like leg swings, plies, etc. If I need to do something on the ice that requires flexibility, I warm up on the ice for 10-15 minutes, then stop and stretch a little at the boards before doing that move. If I have a competition, I do a 30-minute practice session on the ice a few hours before my event, do a full stretch routine after getting off the ice, then do NO more stretching before my competition, only warmup exercises.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
There is definitely a lot of misconceptions about stretching. Most people think if they stretch before working out they will be better off but really that is not right. I am just a recreational skater but I am a very high level Irish dancer (ie. competing at worlds) so I have learned a lot about stretching and fitness. When you stretch it makes you more flexible long term, but in the short term it makes your muscles really tired. It is not really a good idea to stretch before skating (or dancing), because you won't be able to perform well, it would be better to warm up and then do things like leg swings which kind of wake up your flexibility without tiring the muscles. Any static stretch would be bad to do. The best time to stretch is directly after a workout. Your muscles will be warmed up sufficiently and it will help flexibility a lot. I have always been particularly unflexible person, and have reached enough flexibility where I feel it is no longer holding me back. However, I think the inflexible tendency is a blessing in disguise as it has prevented me from injury a lot (my unflexible ankles are very strong and protect from rolling). I have danced for over 17 years and have only sprained an ankle twice never anything more than that, so I think that is more than just luck. (Other than soft tissue injuries but those don't keep me out from dancing)

Sorry it was so rambly, but wanted to add my experience.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, there was an article recently about the women's world marathon record holder who actively attempts to reduce her flexibility to ensure her running abilities. The best lady jumpers in history were not particularly flexible (Midori, Tonya) and it seemed as if Michelle's jumping ability declined when she improved her spiral flexibility.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
There is definitely a lot of misconceptions about stretching. Most people think if they stretch before working out they will be better off but really that is not right. I am just a recreational skater but I am a very high level Irish dancer (ie. competing at worlds) so I have learned a lot about stretching and fitness. When you stretch it makes you more flexible long term, but in the short term it makes your muscles really tired. It is not really a good idea to stretch before skating (or dancing), because you won't be able to perform well, it would be better to warm up and then do things like leg swings which kind of wake up your flexibility without tiring the muscles. Any static stretch would be bad to do. The best time to stretch is directly after a workout. Your muscles will be warmed up sufficiently and it will help flexibility a lot. I have always been particularly unflexible person, and have reached enough flexibility where I feel it is no longer holding me back. However, I think the inflexible tendency is a blessing in disguise as it has prevented me from injury a lot (my unflexible ankles are very strong and protect from rolling). I have danced for over 17 years and have only sprained an ankle twice never anything more than that, so I think that is more than just luck. (Other than soft tissue injuries but those don't keep me out from dancing)

Sorry it was so rambly, but wanted to add my experience.

:agree:

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
i'm 9 months younger than yulia lipnitskaia, but i'm close to her flexibility in my left (over) split. i don't my straddle or right splits though... haha. anyway, stretching daily after a hot shower or bath will definitely increase your flexibility. you have to be consistent with you stretching though, because even a little break can tighten you up again. remember to stretch daily, but also that these sorts of things take time. it took me 3+ years to get my left split (not stretching daily) as a little girl (~7), and around the same amount of time to be able to fold my torso over my thighs and calves when i was 10. if i miss stretching for a few days, my joints will click as i fold myself into various positions- which is not a good thing. make sure you warm up properly BEFORE and AFTER stretching, this is super important and will ensure your body stays pliable, not tense.
also, dance (like ballet and modern in particular) can give you the right kinds of stretch you want as a skater.
i took ballet when i was little and went back a few years ago (but then quit), and it has helped me immensely. i'm still too close-hipped for spread eagles or ina bauers, but i can do donut spins (backwards), biellmanns (forwards), y-spins and i-spins (backwards) as well as pretty decent charlottes (left skating foot).
as for stretching before exercising or working out, i wouldn't recommend hardcore stretching. it does make your muscles sore and tired, and i only do it for 5-15 seconds in each position so i don't rip or tear anything and because i've grown accustomed to it.
hope this helps!