2014-15 Caroline Zhang | Golden Skate

2014-15 Caroline Zhang

Skatingfan1

Rinkside
Does anyone know if Caroline Zhang is competing this year? Her name was on a summer list for a competition but she withdrew. If she is not competing, is she still skating, coaching or going to school? Any information
would be appreciated. I do believe she will not win and even place in the top three but some still compete for competition sake after all there is usually between 18 and 21 ladies at nationals and only 4 are on a podium :confused:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regionals are coming up next month. Check to see if she is scheduled to compete. She got a bye last year because she got a host pick to Skate America, but not this year. If she doesn't do Regionals, she isn't competing at all this year.

Icey

Record Breaker
I believe the entry deadline for the Pacific regions is late September, so too soon to know if Caroline will be on the list.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Caroline Zhang is competing this year? Her name was on a summer list for a competition but she withdrew. If she is not competing, is she still skating, coaching or going to school? Any information
would be appreciated. ...

Caroline Zhang did compete at Golden West at the end of August. She placed third (behind Karen Chan and Riona Kato) in both the SP and FS.

Grant Hochstein tweets off-ice photos of himself with CZ fairly often -- of whatever fun stuff they happen to be doing together.

just wondering

On the Ice
I believe the entry deadline for the Pacific regions is late September, so too soon to know if Caroline will be on the list.

I believe USFS's deadline for entry into any of the 9 Regionals for Singles events was Sept 1. Dance and Pairs also have a Sept 1 deadline, but they advance directly to Sectionals held in November.

just wondering

On the Ice
On the central pacific site it says September 21
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=28 upper right hand corner

Confusing! Perhaps that is for non-qualifying. Or maybe just for Practice Ice. I have no idea. The USFS entry itself specifies Sept 1, (see p. 4) http://www.usfsa.org/content/events...015 Central Pacific Regional Announcement.pdf

ETA: Mystery solved! It appears to be for Practice Ice. The following is on the LOC's website:.
Event Info
PRACTICE ICE PURCHASE IS NOW OPEN THROUGH STEPTEMBER 21 @ 11:59PM.
Click the link below to gain access to practice ice purchase
http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=28

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, just wondering. SO NOW THAT SEPTEMBER 1 HAS PASSED, is Caroline listed to compete? I have given up on trying to find the lists.:confused::scowl:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The lists will come out two weeks before the competition.

jessloza12

Spectator
Caroline Zhang did compete in the short program at the 2015 Southwest Pacific Regionals she currently in second place with 54.99. Excited ;);););):eek:

samson

Medalist
^Oh wow well good for her! That's much stronger than she was doing last year. I hope there's a video eventually.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just looked at the protocols for the SP and Caroline did a 3loop as her solo jump, 3flip/2toe as her combination, 2A with positive GOEs. Her steps and spins were level 4, except her layback spin was a level 3. I think this is really a good beginning and wish her the best! Top 4 finishers at Regionals will go on to Sectionals.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh wow, that is a really good score for her given the past few years!!

Glad to hear this. While I don't think she'll ever be the skater many of us hoped she'd be, I do wish her well and am glad she's still competing if that makes her happy.

Icey

Record Breaker
This is exciting news. Who is coaching her now? No ur's, no edge call. Still the component scores are low, with just above a 6 on skating skills.

Icey

Record Breaker
Caroline finished 3rd with a total score of around 139. Carly Gold (Gracie's sister???) finished 4th.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Caroline finished 3rd with a total score of around 139. Carly Gold (Gracie's sister???) finished 4th.

Good to see she's still competing. I have a soft spot for Caroline and will always have one for her. She had a wonderful junior career and did very well at the beginning of her senior career, but at this point her skills just aren't at the elite level anymore. I do think she should keep competing if she wants to and I'll always cheer for her...I just don't see her making it to another elite level podium. Then again, people predicted that back in 2011 and the next year she placed 3rd at 4CC. Granted the field is 3 times deeper now than it was back then but still, I guess anything is possible. I just wonder what she's hoping for? Is she aiming to be back at the elite level or is she competing just for the love of it?