Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's ex boyfriend has dragged her into his scandal

Meoima

Match Penalty
The problem is, at no moment she try to come forward, she spoke about it until he talk about it. If it haven´t come to this she would have continue with her life with no remorse. I know I´m being hard, but how can you keep quiet something like this? What if he was being looked by running over a person with his car or killed a man?
I didn't say what she did was right. It was a very bad decision of her. She might have done it out of love. It's still a bad decision. She might have been very scared after the public knew that her boyfriend failed the doping test in Olympic London. But he didn't mention her name by that time.

The thing is, he was exposed in 2012 and at that time he said no one involved. Why suddenly now he changes his words? Why only speak about her lying for him until now? She couldn't save him for sure.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The problem is, at no moment she try to come forward, she spoke about it until he talk about it. If it haven´t come to this she would have continue with her life with no remorse. I know I´m being hard, but how can you keep quiet something like this? What if he was being looked by running over a person with his car or killed a man?

That is a pretty bold statement. We aren't in her head. There are things I did a decade ago that I still feel badly for having done (these things weren't illegal, but were wrong and did hurt other people), but I don't come forward now shouting m y sins to the world because there is no point. I've learned from them and I can only try to go on with my life. Perhaps she feels or felt the same.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh the things we do for love. I will always love Caro and only blame him for putting her in this position. Lying and risking everything for someone you love is the oldest lesson in the book. On a personal level I think I actually respect her decision to protect him. Even if he didnt deserve it. He should have manned up and protected her from this but oh.... we all know how selfish people can be.

Pobody's Nerfect :p

breynows

On the Ice
If i were her i would do the same, not because i agree with but because she may have loved him, so what could she do :eek:hwell:

Icey

Record Breaker
There is some indication, through emails, I believe, that Caro went with him to certain motor homes, where he was either seemingly getting injections or buying drugs, but stayed in the car. Also reports that one of his doping doctors actually analyzed a sample of Caro's blood sent by the boyfriend.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is some indication, through emails, I believe, that Caro went with him to certain motor homes, where he was either seemingly getting injections or buying drugs, but stayed in the car. Also reports that one of his doping doctors actually analyzed a sample of Caro's blood sent by the boyfriend.

Huh?????? Yikes! :eek: Please, more info if you have it, Icey...

I understand Caro wanting to protect her boyfriend -- I just wish she had thought about protecting herself.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
If she really agreed to that than she should be banned.
But I don't believe it. Source?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I understand Caro wanting to protect her boyfriend -- I just wish she had thought about protecting herself.
From a poster in FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ating-skaters-news.79001/page-14#post-4324205

... September 2008 Schwazer wrote Conconi an e-mail in which ... asked him to give him his professional opinion on the blood count (and other blood exams) of an athlete of 21...
...Conconi answered him that everything seemed fine, with just a mild anemia (which could be considered normal in a young female elite athlete) and a "wavy" serum iron value (possibly linked to many factors, not excluding a mild trauma in training). He also recommended a new blood check in a month and a half...

As the poster said, it is not clear that Caro wanted her blood examined by that doctor, or it's her ex boyfriend's decision on his own. Maybe it's just she asked her boyfriend that did he know any good doctor by that time to check if there was anything wrong in her blood.

There is nothing wrong with that I suppose. I mean it's just Schwazer asking the doctor for her blood count. And that seems to have nothing to do with him using doping. At least until now. We will have to wait for more investigation.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Totally agree. The thing is it's not like he can benefit anything by dragging her down. I mean, yes, she admitted that she was lying for him. But at that time he was still her boyfriend and maybe he knew how to persuade her to lie for him. She might not even know he was involved in doping. I don't get it, it does look like he is trying to tarnish her name.

Unless it can. I don't know how the legal system is over there, but if he can get their cases intertwined enough he may be able to benefit from some lighter celeb sentencing.

There are certainly attorneys (I would assume) who might be more likely to take the case now/charge less now that a celeb is involved. Getting your law firm name/your name quoted in national media is worth at least an hour of time in advertising. Likewise I suspect most attorneys are likely to put more effort into a case like this as they know it will get more attention. So they may now have extra motivation to work harder.

Sadly, he may have things to gain by involving her.

As for the lying. . . we don't know the full story. For all we know he told her something like he cheated by taking a Sudafed or something. I think a lot of people would see a difference between "please cover my engine for in a moment of weakness while sick taking an over-the-counter could medicine to feel better" and "Please help me cover my engine for my deliberate attempt to enhance my performance with drugs"

Heck, maybe she just covered him out of the "what if" that could happen with a raid. How many athletes do you think can list from memory every band substance and every variation that it could legally be called on a label? I could easily see many athletes intentionally playing by the rules but still not wanting to deal with a surprise raid/test just out of fear they screwed up unintentionally.

Then again it is also possible that doping is as wide spread in figure skating and/or Italian sports as it is in [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE STEREOTYPICAL DRUG UP SPORT HERE]. Who knows. We really don't know what she did or the gravity of the lie she told or how much she even knew about the lie she told.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Is having your blood analyzed against the rules? I mean if you are not taking anything. . . why can't you test/examine whatever you want?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Is having your blood analyzed against the rules? I mean if you are not taking anything. . . why can't you test/examine whatever you want?

The doctor in question is Dr. Michele Ferrari,a notorious doping expert. Schwazer met him secretly, and he was accompanied to some of those meetings by Kostner. That still means nothing, maybe she didn't (want to) know the details, but if she asked advice to the same doctor, that could mean that she's more involved with this story than she wants to admit. Then again, maybe the blood testing was Schwazer's idea and she trusted him without asking for more details. Was she only naive or did she know?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
That is a pretty bold statement. We aren't in her head. There are things I did a decade ago that I still feel badly for having done (these things weren't illegal, but were wrong and did hurt other people), but I don't come forward now shouting m y sins to the world because there is no point. I've learned from them and I can only try to go on with my life. Perhaps she feels or felt the same.
I´m led to believe that what you did is not again the laws, but what Carolina did it is againts the law, and is fraude.

But you are right I don´t know if she is feeling remorse, but I can´t forget that she didn´t do anything againts this.

The doctor in question is Dr. Michele Ferrari,a notorious doping expert.

That doesn´t sounds good for Carolina, if she was with him, I can believe she is that naive she was not a littlw girl back in 2012.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
We don't know the situation and emotion Caro was in at the time, or Schwazer for that matter. Certainly it was impromptu. He might be panicky and/or very pathetic. The natural tendency would be to comply with and indulge a lover when a snap decision had to be made. I think he was quite depressed for a while and obviously has not been having a picnic since then either. I really can't and wouldn't judge anybody with the little bit I know even though it seems rather deplorable for him to be dragging her in among others.

Alba

Record Breaker
Totally agree. The thing is it's not like he can benefit anything by dragging her down. .

Well, he is under penal investigation. Continue liying is a serious offence and will aggravate his situation.

I mean, yes, she admitted that she was lying for him. But at that time he was still her boyfriend and maybe he knew how to persuade her to lie for him.

It doesn't matter. She's an athlete and covering for him is considered abetting (?).

She might not even know he was involved in doping.

She's not stupid. They're both athletes and they were living together. I understand her from a human point of view, but I can hardly believe that she didn't know. WADA coming to your home for a control and you hide? Why do you think is that?
She saw the medicines (what's the name for this doping things) and hypoxis (?) device.
Sorry, I don't know the english terms of these things.
I don't think she risks anything penal, but from the sport justice point of view she does. She has violated article 2.8 of WADA.

More news today, here: http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...mento-di-carolina-kostner-nello-schwazer-gate

msadot

On the Ice
She's not stupid. They're both athletes and they were living together. I understand her from a human point of view, but I can hardly believe that she didn't know. WADA coming to your home for a control and you hide? Why do you think is that?
I don't think she risks anything penal, but from the sport justice point of view she does.

Agree with Alba. :) But seeing her smile at Milano power run makes me hope for the best. :)

cooper

Medalist
love is blind.. first yuna fell for a douche.. and now caro..

love is blind..

jiggs

On the Ice
This happened right before his doping case was discovered. I strongly believe Caro didn't know about this and was caught by surprise when the WADA came and he asked her to say he was not there. She probably had a couple of seconds to decide what to do. What must have gone through her head in those seconds? In a situation like this, what would you have done? It doesn't make it right, but it's totally understandable and only human how she acted imo.

What a whole lot of mess Alex has brought upon her.

cooper

Medalist
^WADA is unpredictable.. i still remember missy franklin said that she was watching a movie with her friends then all of sudden WADA came and conducted an anti doping test.. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^WADA is unpredictable.. i still remember missy franklin said that she was watching a movie with her friends then all of sudden WADA came and conducted an anti doping test.. :laugh:

Well, if you are an athlete, you know better to be always prepared. Drink, and drink again. Got to keep the bladder full at all times.

Alba

Record Breaker
This happened right before his doping case was discovered. I strongly believe Caro didn't know about this and was caught by surprise when the WADA came and he asked her to say he was not there. She probably had a couple of seconds to decide what to do. What must have gone through her head in those seconds? In a situation like this, what would you have done? It doesn't make it right, but it's totally understandable and only human how she acted imo..

It's not just about WADA. She saw the drugs in the refrigerator, and meeting Michele Ferrari (this was in 2010) should be a big red flag for anyone, let alone an athlete. A secret meeting, in a camper, in a parking place on the highway?!

Yes, it is understandable from a human point of view. People have done worse things in the name of love, friendship, family etc.
But this does not change a bit that your actions were against the rules in the sport, that you've voluntarily signed.
This is not about judging Costner as a person. This doesn't diminish her in my eyes, but it's wrong also to suggest that she was the "poor thing who had no clue".

What a whole lot of mess Alex has brought upon her

Are you suggesting she is unable to understand and take action? How was this "brought" to her?

@All: Schwazer is under investigation. It's not like he is dragging other names (I'm talking about others, like his team, not Carolina in this case) which sounds like he is involving innocent people here.
These people, who are assisting and even encouraging or pushing athletes with doping, illegal betting (see football) are the cancer of the sport.
They're destroying it. Cycling, football, tennis, you name it. It's all becoming a farce.

The reason you haven't heard more scandals in other sports, or other countries, is that much more money is involved, huge money.
So no one is interested to destroy the toy, but they are corrupt to the core.