2014-15 NBC TV schedule: GPs/GPF; Nats; Euros; 4 Continents; Worlds | Golden Skate

2014-15 NBC TV schedule: GPs/GPF; Nats; Euros; 4 Continents; Worlds

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2014-15 NBC BROADCAST Schedule (updated as of Oct 2)
(Schedule subject to change/All times Eastern/Check local listings)​

2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series

2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America
Sun Oct. 26, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)​

2014 Skate Canada International
Sun Nov. 2, 2014 ... 1 - 2:30 p.m. NBC​
** Only ninety minutes.** :eek:hwell:​
eta, CAVEAT:
The fact sheet originally said 4:30 - 6 p.m. But the schedule announced on Oct 2 says 1 - 2:30 p.m. (as did the printable version of the sched).​

2014 Cup of China
Sun Nov. 9, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Rostelecom Cup (Russia)
Sun Nov. 16, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard (France)
Sun Nov. 23, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 NHK Trophy (Japan)
Sun Nov. 30, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Grand Prix Final (Barcelona, Spain)
Sun Dec. 21, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC
[ETA, note: one week after the competition]​
eta, CAVEAT:
The fact sheet originally said 12:30 - 2:30 p.m. But the schedule announced on Oct 2 says 4-6 p.m.​

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships

eta, NBC has ADDED two hours of preview coverage for Nats.

• Sat Jan. 24, 2015 ... 3-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Pairs FS and FD
  • Sat Jan. 24, 2015 ... 8-11 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Ladies FS
  • Sun Jan. 25, 2015 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE) Men's FS
2015 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
Sat Jan. 31, 2015 ... 2:30-4 p.m. ET NBC​
eta, CAVEAT:
The printable version of the schedule had said 4 - 6 p.m.​

2015 European Championships
Sat Feb. 7, 2015 ... 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2015 Four Continents Championships
Sat Feb. 21, 2015 ... 3-5 p.m. ET NBC (**coverage has been expanded to two hours; originally was scheduled to end at 4:30 pm)​

2015 World Championships
  • Sat March 28, 2015 ... 8-10 p.m. ET NBC
  • Sun April 12, 2015 ... 3-6 p.m. ET NBC
    eta, CAVEAT:
    The schedule announced on Oct 2 had said 1 - 4 p.m., but the **latest schedules say 3-6 p.m. (as did the original fact sheet).​
**Note that two broadcasts are scheduled for Worlds this season, with the first at the time of the competition itself.** :)

Links to the current versions of the schedules, which thankfully are in synch with each other at the moment (although sometimes they have not been):

Previous sources:

USFS press release:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=50559&type=media (Oct 2)
The UNIVERSAL SPORTS listings for 2014-15 also are available at the link above.​

USFS fact sheet (superseded by the Oct 2 press release):
BTW, the events on icenetwork's video schedule (subject to change) are listed within the fact sheet (p. 8). Nothing from the Challenger Series except SLC.​

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2014-15 NBC BROADCAST Schedule
(Schedule subject to change/All times Eastern/Check local listings)​

2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series

2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America
Oct. 26, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)​

2014 Skate Canada International
Nov. 2, 2014 ... 4:30-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Cup of China
Nov. 9, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Rostelecom Cup (Russia)
Nov. 16, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard (France)
Nov. 23, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 NHK Trophy (Japan)
Nov. 30, 2014 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC​

2014 Grand Prix Final (Barcelona, Spain)
Dec. 21, 2014 ... 12:30-2:30 p.m. NBC​

2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
  • Jan. 24, 2015 ... 3-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)
  • Jan. 24, 2015 ... 8-11 p.m. NBC (LIVE)
  • Jan. 25, 2015 ... 4-6 p.m. NBC (LIVE)
2015 Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
Jan. 31, 2015 ... 2:30-4 p.m. ET NBC​

2015 European Championships
Feb. 7, 2015 ... 4–6 p.m. ET NBC​

2015 Four Continents Championships
Feb. 21, 2015 ... 3-4:30 p.m. ET NBC​

2015 World Championships
  • March 28, 2015 ... 8-10 p.m. ET NBC
  • April 12, 2015 ... 3-6 p.m. ET NBC
**Note that two broadcasts are scheduled for Worlds this season, with the first at the time of the competition itself.** :)

Source:

BTW, the events on icenetwork's video schedule (subject to change) are listed within the same document (p. 8). Nothing from the Challenger Series except SLC.

No offense but this kinda sucks cause they're not going to show everything. I guess we're going to have to count on people uploading the whole events on YouTube.

Yes I know this sounds really mean on what I said. But they DO know that competitions for figure skating lasts more than a day for GP events. So...why only show one day of it. Look I'm not trying to bring everyone down. But I'm trying to prove a point.

NBC should seriously consider livestreaming. Like it worked out just fine for me for the Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No offense but this kinda sucks cause they're not going to show everything. I guess we're going to have to count on people uploading the whole events on YouTube.

Yes I know this sounds really mean on what I said. But they DO know that competitions for figure skating lasts more than a day for GP events. So...why only show one day of it. Look I'm not trying to bring everyone down. But I'm trying to prove a point.

NBC should seriously consider livestreaming. Like it worked out just fine for me for the Olympics.

No offense taken -- I have no power over NBC's scheduling ;).

And news flash: no need "to prove a point" to anyone on GS. :rofl:
You are preaching to the choir. Everyone on GS (at least everyone in the U.S. with access to NBC) wishes that NBC provided more TV coverage and provided live streaming.

The schedule is much the same as in previous seasons. The one improvement, AFAIK, are the two broadcast dates for Worlds.

If you had belonged to GS last season and in previous seasons, you would know that others are constantly asking for the schedule.
Thus the raison d'être of this thread.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

I completely agree. I was considering subscribing to Universal Sports for the sole purpose of seeing these figure skating events on television, but I'm not even sure it's worth the extra $14/month for me. I might consider IceNetwork instead.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah.

I swear the NBC primetime is almost completely pointless (I'm not saying fully cause watching the mens SP for the team event is what made me a fan of Yuzuru). But they don't show everything which is a shame because if they did, we get to see more talent across the spectrum.

Amei

Record Breaker
As soon as I read the thread title and it said 'NBC TV schedule' I knew it was going to be laughable.

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't ever recall NBC carrying Europeans . Did I miss them in past years? lol Hate that there is nothing until late October.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I don't ever recall NBC carrying Europeans . Did I miss them in past years? lol Hate that there is nothing until late October.

They definitely covered Euros last year - I remember being really excited to watch Voronov!

I am investing in an IceNetwork subscription this year, but it's nice to see NBC showing worlds the actual weekend of!

anyanka

Record Breaker
So they have lots of money to throw at dramas that do poorly, in an attempt to catch up to ABC, CBS and Fox, and they give short shrift to skating?
Although it is a sign of the times that the sport simply is not a moneymaker in America anymore (and hasn't been since Michelle Kwan was competing).
The only good thing I'll say for NBC these days is that they allowed "Parks & Recreation" one more season instead of outright cancelling it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wish as much as anyone else that NBC provided more skating coverage, but as a beloved NBC character would say, "Yada, yada, yada."

If NBC could make more profit for its shareholders by providing more skating coverage, it would do so in a heartbeat.

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks, golden - I'll be sending the link of this to an American friend of mine, she's fond of figure skating, and I'm sure it will prove very useful to her!

As for how much FS is shown - I think it is sad indeed. I think we all wish that more FS was broadcast where we live, and it had a higher priority. I mean, Eurosport's schedulling can prove truly... erratic at times, and is by no means reliable - they may very well suddenly decide to show something else instead. I remember one Worlds' where they were supposed to show two hours of the ladies' LP... and suddenly ended up showing cycling instead. And only showed us four ladies. Luckily another Swedish channel was showing it as well, or I'd have been left in the lurch! But, it was still annoying.

I agree that if the ratings had been higher, TV networks would be showing more. Of course, since they show so little, the casual fan - let alone the potential if-they-ever-happened-across FS casual fan - is far less likely to ever stumble across that little when they are showing it... well, the ratings are never going to be very high, are they? Sigh... No, I have no solution to the problem.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, golden - I'll be sending the link of this to an American friend of mine, she's fond of figure skating, and I'm sure it will prove very useful to her! ...

Appreciate your post very much, LRK. Thank you. :)
I hope that many of you know that I usually am not one to aggressively pat myself on the back, but I was pleased that I had discovered the entire season's schedule -- which is not well publicized this early, as we know from past seasons. [Over the course of last season, people started at least three different GS threads to complain that they did not know where to find the NBC schedule.] And before starting this thread, I took the time and trouble to reformat the completely deformatted mess of dates and times that resulted from copying and pasting the schedule from the original document.
So all the bitching and moaning from others about NBC is not offensive to me (I too would love more coverage), but it did make me wonder why I made the effort to share the information.
Gratifying :) to know that this season's schedule will be useful to at least one person who actually wants to watch the skating -- and not just to whine about NBC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am just glad there is some skating on NBC at all, given that I can't get Universal Sports.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, golden - I'm so glad! I actually hesitated a moment before posting - I don't know why?? I think we often simply just think nice good things - and don't say them. Because we assume that "they are understood" - when, in truth, they're no such thing! I remember I was very impressed once by a person who came to speak to our class - and his saying just that... that we will think things like "That is a nice sweater she is wearing" - but then not say it. And it's such a simple little thing to do to make someone glad - that's something that really struck me and has stuck with me ever since; this was probably in 7th or 8th class, so in the '80s and quite a long time ago. And even so - I still almost didn't! Thank you for reminding me of it yet again, golden. :)

LauraV

On the Ice
golden, the schedule info is much appreciated, as always. I printed and saved the post you made last year and plan to do the same with this one.

Like everyone here, I wish NBC showed more of the GP series, but given the ratings it generates, we are probably lucky to get what we get.

It still puzzles me that skating can generate good to great ratings (by current standards) during the Olympics, yet no one - neither NBC, the USFSA or the rest of the skating powers that be - can figure out a way to generate more interest in skating for competitive events later in the very same year. Of course I wouldn't expect Olympic level ratings, but there ought to be ways to capitalize on the Olympic exposure.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm guessing most people don't even know when it's on... Especially in light of the difficulties golden had in putting the post together. I'm curious - do they advertise it at all? I mean, on the channel, before the event?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Appreciate your post very much, LRK. Thank you. :)
I hope that many of you know that I usually am not one to aggressively pat myself on the back, but I was pleased that I had discovered the entire season's schedule -- which is not well publicized this early, as we know from past seasons. [Over the course of last season, people started at least three different GS threads to complain that they did not know where to find the NBC schedule.] And before starting this thread, I took the time and trouble to reformat the completely deformatted mess of dates and times that resulted from copying and pasting the schedule from the original document.
So all the bitching and moaning from others about NBC is not offensive to me (I too would love more coverage), but it did make me wonder why I made the effort to share the information.
Gratifying :) to know that this season's schedule will be useful to at least one person who actually wants to watch the skating -- and not just to whine about NBC.

:bow: Given that I stumbled onto US Nats by mistake this year, which is what "brought me back", I'm glad to see I don't have to stumble this year. And in our house, it's the most basic of basic cable, so NBC it is.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am just glad there is some skating on NBC at all, given that I can't get Universal Sports.

:agree: Same here, Doris. The glass is half full.

Oh, golden - I'm so glad! I actually hesitated a moment before posting - I don't know why?? I think we often simply just think nice good things - and don't say them. Because we assume that "they are understood" - when, in truth, they're no such thing! I remember I was very impressed once by a person who came to speak to our class - and his saying just that... that we will think things like "That is a nice sweater she is wearing" - but then not say it. And it's such a simple little thing to do to make someone glad - that's something that really struck me and has stuck with me ever since; this was probably in 7th or 8th class, so in the '80s and quite a long time ago. And even so - I still almost didn't! Thank you for reminding me of it yet again, golden. :)

Thx for this post too, LRK, which makes me doubly glad. :)
I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it was disheartening to see what I intended as an informative thread turn so immediately into another gripe session. But enough of my own whining :yes:.
I like your anecdote, and I will try harder myself to put the speaker's message into action as much as possible.

golden, the schedule info is much appreciated, as always. I printed and saved the post you made last year and plan to do the same with this one. ...

Thanks, Laura. :yay:

... I'm curious - do they advertise it at all? I mean, on the channel, before the event?

IIRC, once the GP season starts, NBC's coverage of one GP does include a couple of promos for the next GP. But that means if you miss one GP, you'll miss the promos for the next ...
OTOH, another little bright spot in this year's GP coverage is that most of the broadcast times are consistent. Last year, the GP schedule had at least two or three sizable deviations from a start time of 4 pm, making it harder to remember when to tune in.

scs

Rinkside
Thanks for posting the times! Now I'll know when it's on and not stumble upon an event when it's half finished!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now USFS has made the NBC 2014-15 schedule easier to find.

(I will add these two links to the OP.)

CAVEATS:

~ The printable version's times for (1) Skate Canada; (2) the Smucker's Skating Spectacular; and (3) the Apr 12 broadcast of Worlds are very different from those on the two other versions of the schedule.

~ I had not noticed before that the GPF broadcast airs a week after the competition.​

Thanks to all who expressed moral support for this thread as a source of practical information. :)