Has Michelle ever done an "edgy" program? | Golden Skate

Has Michelle ever done an "edgy" program?

Taan

On the Ice
has mk ever done an "edgy", "cutting edge", "avant garde" or just plain "out there" program (for either competetion or exhibition) ?

you know, a program like chiat and sakhnovsky "clown program" or a laticia hubert-esque program, something innovative and "risky" if not " "risque".

Would you want her to? She seem best suited to conservative, beautiful, family oriented programs, albeit sans the artisic "risk" that is the legacy of many if not all the great "artistic skaters (i.e. toller ranston, etc.)

i would love to see mk do a daring, shocking, avantegarde skating program. it would be just what she needs to jumpstart her (some say getting predictable) presentation.

:eek:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think Miraculous Mandarin and Rush were probably the most different competitive programs MK has done...but I don't think it's avant garde.

Becca84

Rinkside
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I think Miraculous Mandarin and Rush were probably the most different competitive programs MK has done...but I don't think it's avant garde.

It's not "shocking" or "risque" either. I just can't picture Michelle doing anything crazy. But maybe when she retires from competetive skating & does shows, she'll be more "daring & showy"...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think some folks were a little surprised at first (mainly by the transformation of Michelle) with "Salome". I remember every performance Peggy would say "She understands the music "...or something to that effect.

Out of respect for her biggest fan Mathman Michelle will never do anything shocking or risque.:D

Piel

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
For Michelle, I think doing anything too different would get raves from one group and heaps of criticism from another. As VietGirl pointed out, "Rush" and "Miraculous Mandarin" were departures for Michelle (though definitely not in the clown program league, LOL!) and it seemed she received a lot of criticism for both. She dropped "Rush" mid season and only skated "MM" once at the 2001 GPF. I'm sure she probably was "advised" to do that by many different parties (judges, skating officials, etc.). But, I thought "MM" had loads of promise. The music was certainly "edgy" and different and I think some of the choreography would have followed suit had that program been allowed to develop. Oh well! I'd just like to see her have more intricate choreography and difficulty (spin positions) next season...."edgy" isn't a requirement for me yet! Although it is an entertaining idea....imagining Michelle skating to a circus medley or perhaps some Rob Zombie!

valuvsmk

Rinkside
VIETgrlTerifa said:

VIET, I was responding to the "edgy" aspect, re MM, particularly from the musical side (Peter C. openly questioned the music choice as between too "out there" for the judges, right or wrong), and that, according to what I have read of the story behind the music, Michelle was supposed to be seducing the evil Mandarin. YMMV, of course. :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Steve, when I posted that message, I forgot Taan also mentioned edgy as well as avant garde.

I agree with you, that I thought the music itself was very edgy, and that Michelle's LP was pretty different from what she's done.

shine

Record Breaker
Miraculous Mandarin is a very edgy piece of music, but Michelle's choreography to it certainly didn't suggest anything remotely edgy about it. I just don't think she's meant for the edgy style of presentation. OTOH, I really wish she could have come up with more programs like Romanza, or Dream of Desdamona, or Ariane.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Shine, I think there are some parts in MM that were pretty cool and fit the music...I think that's why I think that program had so much potential.

I part I loved the most and seemed very different compared to Kwan's other programs was the slow section. It's all just little things that most people think is not a big deal, but I loved when looking like she was seducing someone and that movement she did in it. And I loved the way she did the inside-edged besti squat right after that too.

Enero

On the Ice
Don't remember the name of the program, but I remember her doing a skate (exibition) to the music from James Bond. I don't remember how the music sounded, but I remember Michelle had on a black outfit (leitard material - pants) and one hand was gloved. I wasn't really impressed with this program, but I did think it was risque for Michelle. It just didn't seem to fit the persona she brings to the ice.

valuvsmk

Rinkside
Enero said:
Don't remember the name of the program, but I remember her doing a skate (exibition) to the music from James Bond. I don't remember how the music sounded, but I remember Michelle had on a black outfit (leitard material - pants) and one hand was gloved. I wasn't really impressed with this program, but I did think it was risque for Michelle. It just didn't seem to fit the persona she brings to the ice.

That program is "The World is Not Enough", and I loved it. Sassy but classy. Michelle as "Bond Girl".

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Her 2000 SP to A day in the life was outside of the MK box. Kinda sultry rock guitar music. Her choreography definately could have been less classical, but it seemed like she was identifying with her sensuality a little bit. I bet we will see some risque numbers from her when she quits her elligable skating career.

Kwanisqueen81

Rinkside
Kwan's 'edgy' programs

I think Kwan has had so good long programs to dramatic music. I loved Arine and Taj Mahal long programs were excellent. I thought her red violin(both exhibition and long program) were very haunting, and risky programs. Especially the exhibition!!

Michelle skated MM only once and got a lot of critisim when she did attempt a more "out there" long program. So she scraped the program. She's damned if she does damned if she doesn't.

I think Michelle's style isn't one tilted toward the avart-gard, that is not to say that she couldn't pull it off, but I just don't that is her style. I do think that is okay because ever skater has a different style and that is what makes figure skating interesting to me.

I did like TFB short, I thought that was different. And out of the Kwan "box" when I first saw it.

Finally,
Michelle skating to Salome was shocking!!! For those that don't remember, it was such a jolt to the senses to see Michelle with a entirely new persona. The pervious season Michelle was a young jumbing-bean with no make up. Now she was mature and looked the part of Salome. That whole program was shocking for audiences, judges, and fans alike. Everyone said "THAT'S Michelle Kwan"!! What a transformation, what a shock!! Remember she was only 15...:eek:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
i would love to see mk do a daring, shocking, avantegarde skating program. it would be just what she needs to jumpstart her (some say getting predictable) presentation.

:eek:

What is the :eek: about?

I am not sure she needs to jumpstart anything. Some of her detractors will criticize her no matter what. I am not sure what is the significance of predicitble presentation. Even Hubert is predictible, we know she will skate to some programs with shocking themes (did she skate to a program about drug addict?) So even that is predictible. Had Hubert ever skate to Lyra Angelica kind of lyrical program?

I think TRV is an edgy program.

I think Salome could be a shocking program, if you get into the story.

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
I for one just loved Rush. It was so unlike anything she'd done and the steps that Christopher Dean gave her were stunning! I've heard a lot of people say she ditched it because the judges didn't like it, but the one I have on tape she got fab pres scores. And the commentators were saying that the "word" was that this would be a fantastic program once she got used to it. Either way it gave birth to EOE the sp version which to this day I think is one of her best.

I'd love to see her ressurect Rush though. I mean it wouldn't be like repeating though would it because she only skated it twice, although I guess some people would even have a problem with that!!!:rolleye:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Even Hubert is predictible, we know she will skate to some programs with shocking themes
Latitia Hubert? From France? The one who skated to big band music in 96 and the "diamond comercial" music in 02? Shocking? I guess those are the programs that don't make it to US TV. :laugh: Even that arm flailing extravaganzy to Dead Can Dance music in 98 was kinda "soft" for something "shocking".

Although I can't readily imagine MK doing "Dr. Diesel", I'm not sure I understand who all of these "edgy", "avante guard" ladies are. Am I to understand that everyone else saw "The Red Violin" as soft and sticky-sweet while "Carmen" and "Swan Lake" of the same year were edgy and avant guard moderm masterpieces, on the edge and pushing the envelope? :confused:

I think it has to do with the skater's style and not the music or choreo per se. Surya is the best example I can think of. Who else could make "the 4 seasons" sound like the theme music from "Psycho" and her 91 LP was the most menacing "swan" I have ever seen. Stay away, that swan will peck you eye out mate!

The oposite side of the spectrum could be someone like Jenny Kirk. Although I loved her "Chicago" SP, it really was much more "Thouroughly Moderm Milly", gee don't flappers have fun. I just didn't get the picture of Jenny as a lying, cheating, adulterous murderer who would sell her own Grandma for a shot at fame. Jenny? Nah.