Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

b-man

Final Flight
nice comeback Mirai!
Very good score

Ashley Cain 176.76
Mirai Nagasu 170.48
Mariah Bell 145.17

Thanks for your report. Not bad for someobdy who doesn't rotate her jumps, is disinterested and lwith an expression like a wooden dummy. LOL

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mum's the word. <3

Mirai looked great for an early season comp. I can already seem improvements in her short time working with Tom Z (who was at the boards with her). I thought she looked quite regal out there and I think this FS has a lot of potential for her!

Barb

Record Breaker
thanks Mrs. P. :bow:, the program is beautiful, and she looks great considering she is in the off season, we all know she can do better

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Mum's the word. <3

Mirai looked great for an early season comp. I can already seem improvements in her short time working with Tom Z (who was at the boards with her). I thought she looked quite regal out there and I think this FS has a lot of potential for her!

Thank you so much for this! The program looks good and everything looks sound, I'm so happy she's improving!

Icey

Record Breaker
Mrs. P, are the protocols from that competition available? Good start for her.

willdu

On the Ice
Great season start by Mirai! Love the short program and the long, but definitely like the short a bit better. She looks like she's in great shape, especially in the short program unitard. My favorite moment is in the long during her step sequence when she takes a second and just stares down the judges mid sequence. It's so good.

Interesting jump layout for the short from Mirai. No 3T-3T? Maybe she's working on the 3F-3T again. It does look like some of her jump technique is being reworked, I think it's most clear in her flip and lutz take off. Before her flips last year, she would have both blades down and kind of check her edges by squeezing inwards before going into the jump. That is clearly gone. Her first axel in the long program was huge, uncharacteristic of Mirai's usual axel going into a triple toe, which is usually lower and more focused on distance. Maybe she has been working on the 3A? I would die if she threw one down at Skate America especially to upset the US favorite... But ideally she should work on her salchow for competition and maybe 3F-3T before the 3A. 3F3T, 2A3T, 3Lz, 3Lo2T2Lo, 3F, 3S, 2A would be an ideal 7 triple layout. BV of jumps without bonus: 43.9

The spins are much better from last season. The super flexible bielman in the short is AMAZING.

EDIT: Her choreo sequence in the long is spectacular. Much better than the past couple of seasons.

EDIT 2: Playing with the idea of Mirai getting a 3A but not getting her 3S or 3F-3T highly unlikely, but I have too much time and want to mess around.
Layout: 3A, 2A-3T, 3F, 3Lz, 3Lo-2T, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3Lo. BV of jumps without bonus: 45.9.

Finally, Mirai getting both a 3F-3T, 3S, 3A and perfectly rotating all her jumps with no edge calls in my dreams. 3A, 3F-3T, 3Lo, 3Lz, 2A-3T, 3S, 3Lo-2T-2T. BV of jumps without bonus: 48.5. 8 triple program.

Harness

Rinkside
Thanks for the clips! Love both programs and looking forward to seeing them progress throughout the season.

Harness

Rinkside
Me, too. I saw an earlier Cain performance, and would like to see how she has progressed. She's such a joy to watch. I'll miss the skaters who have retired or are sitting out this season, but looking forward to seeing the GP debuts.

slider11

Medalist
Very promising! I hope Mirai is in a place physically and emotionally where she can grow and flourish on all levels. She needs to take control of her life and see if she can aspire to the top 3 women once more. If she has a decent GP and places in the top 3 at Nationals, there's no way the USFSA can look the other way.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thanks for the video, loads of potentials, SP is already pretty good, LP's music is more difficult to skate to, requires more emotions and performance. can't wait to see how it progress and wish Mirai can pull it off at SA. Love both step sequences very much, really appreciate Mirai's performance during LP step sequence.
EDIT: kinda understand why Mirai got high PCS for the LP. it must be really impressive to watch Mirai's expression during step sequence and second half from the Judges view side.

Icey

Record Breaker
Who choreographed these programs? Both are beautifully done with continuous flow and no empty "rest" segments. Possibly my imagination, but she seems to be moving her arms and upper body differently than she ever has, which makes me wonder if Johnson is back in Colorado working with her. Wise to have a vocal section, that seems to bring Mirai alive in a way that I hope she will be throughout both programs by the time the major competitions start.
Judging at these contest? I would guess camera footage etc that can be reviewed by tech and judges etc are not available, considering the expense.

Isn't this a reversal of her usual pattern: doing a good short and a less than stellar long? Any comments from her or Tom about what went wrong in the short? That she didn't let the performance in the short affect her long is encouraging. She seems renewed.