Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

Icey

Record Breaker
In the short, Mirai got the highest skating skill score among the american ladies, but that was only a 7.15. Polina and Courtney got 6.95.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Polina was underscored compared to the rest of the field IMO. It didn't make a difference in placement, but still...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
SP first impression

Negatives
Why is she still doing the generic American Classic lady "I wanna be a Michelle Kwan version 1104" type of skating as if she is skating for 60 years old grandmas at an Sunday afternoon tea party. Kind of old fashioned, generic, inoffensive material. Positively devoid of dynamism or modernism, it tastes positively Vanilla.

Postives
Hey! Mirai is getting closer to the American Classic lady MK version 8.0 than ever before!!! She literally forced herself upgrade the same MK mode these last couple of years to what is generally deemed a respectable mature classy representation ther US federation advisor probably had a hand in during champion camp. And actually... I do enjoy hang out with Grandmas for afternoon teas. Plus I CAN like Vanilla ...every now and then, as long as it is complemented with something more texturely/crunchy, something warm, hot, chocolaty/velvet/punchy/pungent, whatever her FS is going to be.

Look forward to the FS. Hope we get something hot, spicey and extra nice. Although I highly doubt we will get that with Madam butterfly... the sort of program I generally detest every young Asian female do (along with Miss Saigon, Memoir of a Geisha, the unholy trinity of if you are of Asian descent, your creatively dead choreographer will surely shove down your throat at some point of your short and precious career (along with a Kungfu film OST, Last emperor, Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence, Some Asian war OSTs). IMHO a firable offence, better skate away before you too became a victim.) Just like my experience of watching MB opera, I hope I won't detest the character too much to wish she a quick death before it is all over. Things I will look out in the FS intention include emotional heights/rapture moments which hopefully will be supported by notable choreographic movements, as well some variation in the interpretative performance tomorrow. Die gloriously, like your world is on fire.

After Thoughts

To be fair, her approach isn't that different from many young ladies programs we have came to expect in this sport, but I had hoped to be proved wrong since 2011 consider the last couple of years hasn't exactly produced the result she want, that she'd do something different this season as a new start. Changing coach, changing choreographers are all good stuff, so why still the same generic program? Didn't expect her team to be playing safer and more conservative.

I have always believed Mirai has the magic when she is MOST Mirai instead of the mask of whoever her team think the judges expect of a US Champion/template formula whatevers. Just wish she'd trust herself more, and skate to something matter more personal to her, rather than what is considered is 'respectable' and 'expected' on paper, which never bring out her best assets: her personality, her youth, her Xfactor, which makes her such a charming skater to root for. These people pleaser qualities matters and can help boost her PCS by forcing the judges to pay attention (since her federation clearly isn't helping her), along with superior polished skating skills, maturity and her gorgeous final layback spin....worth to die for. Madam Mirai Alien Nagasu, hope you make it count this season!!! Will be cheering for you!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Mirai is magical and special when she is technically confident (10OG) and when she is relaxed and completely invested in her performance (golden pond, demons), Right now, Mirai is trying very hard to increase her technical difficulty in order to still be in the mix, and she is not that confident at all. I think for now, the choreo is not the first priority as long as it is a good enough vehicle for her to find her confidence again...And I saw maturity in the new programs. Good luck Mirai.
EDIT: also, asians have to use oriental music is a stereotype, however asians deliberately avoid oriental music is another stereotype. Madam Butterfly (judging from the music used in Mirai's LP) IMO is a very difficult music to interpret. Once choreo is done, transitions etc are fixed, however it is all up to Mirai to bring out the details, the emotions of the music. in that term, that piece of music is definitely challenging for her, although she skated MoG before. And from the earlier clips of her LP, I already saw maturity that never showed in all her previous performance. Can't wait for the LP video tonight, and how it grows throughout the season.

Icey

Record Breaker
Shaky start for Mirai in the LP. Ur's raise their ugly head again. Hope she gets better as the season goes on. Guess I hoped for too much too soon.

RABID

Final Flight
Is Nagasu done?

1. Polina Edmunds, USA 176.35
2. Courtney Hicks, USA 174.14
3. Riona Kato, JPN 161.69
4. Alaine Chartrand, CAN 161.65
5. Mirai Nagasu, USA 159.49
6. Brooklee Han, AUS 132.64
7. Ashley Shin, USA 125.42
8. Fleur Maxwell, LUX 116.16
9. Anastasia Kononenko, UKR 115.41
10. Frances Clare Untalan, PHI 111.35
11. Beata Papp, FIN 92.70
12. Chelsea Chiyan Yim, HKG 90.26
13. Brittany Lau, SIN 74.85

RABID

Final Flight
It's just one competition, she did better at Broadmoor I believe

I look at the type of event it is and the competition in it. Although I am happy Polina won I recognize the caliber of the event. But on the other hand what does that say about Mirai and all the on going questions surrounding her consistency and even her basic ability? The more and more she competes the more and more the USSF must feel better with themselves and their decision making process. She needs to move on.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Um Mirai finished 3rd in the FS with mistakes...just sayin.

That said, if we want to base how the season will go on one competition, then Courtney Hicks would have been US Champion last year.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Done What? :frown:

That said, if we want to base how the season will go on one competition, then Courtney Hicks would have been US Champion last year.

:agree: Touché, demarinis and Mrs. P.

... She needs to move on.

Mirai was barely two points away from the SLC podium.

She does not "need" to do anything other than to follow what she feels is the right course ahead for herself.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I look at the type of event it is and the competition in it. Although I am happy Polina won I recognize the caliber of the event. But on the other hand what does that say about Mirai and all the on going questions surrounding her consistency and even her basic ability? The more and more she competes the more and more the USSF must feel better with themselves and their decision making process. She needs to move on.

You need to take into account that she hasn't been with Tom Z for long. It's only a couple of months. Despite her mistakes I could see a lot of improvement in her skating. And despite mistakes in the long she still finished 3rd in that portion. If she landed the 3F/3T in the short this would be a different story. Jumps look like they were reworked, especially the flip and she is adding the triple sal. She looks to be in better shape at this point in the season that she has in the past. She stated after her long that she held back and was working on fixing that.

She went through the ringer last season and I would even say the season before that. Her mental game isn't going to change over night. I think her and Tom are working on that, he's getting her out there more, she competed at Broadmore, SLC, she's going to Japan Open. This is going to be a process and we will have to wait and see.

RABID

Final Flight

As I was implying, too soon to crown Polina as the Second Coming, but more mounting evidence to see Mirai's future as a top caliber figure skater is essentially over.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As I was implying, too soon to crown Polina as the Second Coming, but more mounting evidence to see Mirai's future as a top caliber figure skater is essentially over.

I don't consider one early-season competition mounting evidence. But clearly YMMV.

mskater93

Record Breaker
One thing I really noticed about her long program is that her knees were very stiff-looking during basic stroking and crossovers after about the first minute of the program. This points out to me that she's still not getting down into the ice and probably isn't MOVING across the ice. She REALLY needs to utilize speed to get into the air on her jumps (so they are rotated) and when you are that up in your knees, you aren't going to have the speed.

kalle

On the Ice
Here we go again...
For me it is a typical "pre season" Mirai performance. I was rather surprised that she did rather well at the earlier Broadmor competition but after reading reports about strong practices and nice 3F/3T in the warmup I take these performances as if she wanted too much and got tense..
For me the programs are fine but without any real attack, they came accross as a bit "flat". I have never been one of those that need a smiley Mirai but with her beautiful posture and arms, I want her to "reach" out more to the public and a few crisp hand movements would spice up the overall impression. I absolutely hated last years costumes (the exhibition one was beautiful though) and was hoping for something more sofisticated this year. The LP costume had a beautiful cut but why all these sparkles..Anyway, I am positive Mirai will have better performances in Japan, cannot wait to see her again!