Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How did Mirai look to you in the SP? Was she as stiff thru the knees in the SP as the FS? Could it be that this is something that she is working on with Tom Z. I hope to see improvement in Mirai this year.....but it sure won't happen overnight.

One thing I really noticed about her long program is that her knees were very stiff-looking during basic stroking and crossovers after about the first minute of the program. This points out to me that she's still not getting down into the ice and probably isn't MOVING across the ice. She REALLY needs to utilize speed to get into the air on her jumps (so they are rotated) and when you are that up in your knees, you aren't going to have the speed.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I look at the type of event it is and the competition in it. Although I am happy Polina won I recognize the caliber of the event. But on the other hand what does that say about Mirai and all the on going questions surrounding her consistency and even her basic ability? The more and more she competes the more and more the USSF must feel better with themselves and their decision making process. She needs to move on.

You're right that they're different events but she landed all her jumps at Broadmoor which means that her biggest scoring elements are there but maybe in her head she still doubts herself. It's easier to build up the right attitude than techniques at Mirai's age so I'd rather not base her future off one competition. I'm going to give her some time, from what I'm seeing I think she's gotten more confidence and Tom Z has been supporting her well even though I'm not a fan of him as a coach.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Her SP was better. The first minute of the FS was fine. it was after the >> on the 2A+3T that she started to get more vertical.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is still underrotating jumps in the FS. While others could have blamed the altitude in SLC as a fatigue factor, Mirai really can't do that since she trains in Colorado, also at altitude.

The look on her face when she fell was one of shock and surprise, as if someone had just played a nasty trick on her. It took her a while to get back into the program, and then it was mostly face grabbing, which doesn't really go with the character.

I wish she had chosen some other part of the opera Madama Butterfly other than the famous aria, because what that aria is saying is hopeful, not tragic, so her acting makes no sense. The aria says she knows that her lover will return to her---she can see his ship returning in the distance, he will return to her and they will be as they were before.

They should perhaps have chosen the music from the last act where her lover does return, but with his American wife, and they want to take Cio-Cio San's son back home with them to America. In despair, she commits hara-kiri. That music would fit Mirai's acting where the second act aria doesn't.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
She is still underrotating jumps in the FS. While others could have blamed the altitude in SLC as a fatigue factor, Mirai really can't do that since she trains in Colorado, also at altitude. The look on her face when she fell was one of shock and surprise, as if someone had just played a nasty trick on her. It took her a while to get back into the program, and then it was mostly face grabbing, which doesn't really go with the character. I wish she had chosen some other part of the opera Madama Butterfly other than the famous aria, because what that aria is saying is hopeful, not tragic, so her acting makes no sense. The aria says she knows that her lover will return to her---she can see his ship returning in the distance, he will return to her and they will be as they were before. They should perhaps have chosen the music from the last act where her lover does return, but with his American wife, and they want to take Cio-Cio San's son back home with them to America. In despair, she commits hara-kiri. That music would fit Mirai's acting where the second act aria doesn't.

She was very tense in the free skate and that was why she under rotated. She tends to skate slower when she is. She was much faster in the short and looked good in the warm up.

desertskates

Medalist
As far as the stiffness and tension in her body goes, she was probably nervous on a level that most of us will probably never know. I think that with more training this will be a very lovely program. I also hope she's working with a sports psychologist. I think everyone at a high level in an individual sport can benefit from that.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I find that she is the kind of skater who skate to much for the love of the judges and the crowd.
That she completely forgot to skate in her natural way for herself.

Maybe, she needs to close her social network, Facebook, twitter, etc. Thoses social network keeps the skater thinking about having a reputation, so they forget to skate for themself. This would remove her the pressure and I'm pretty sure that she would skate with much freedom and ease if she do this.

ks777

Record Breaker
To be honest, I was very disappointed in Mirai's both programs. She isn't any better artistically nor technically. She is still skating really slow with underrotations. I think she can be much better artistically because she shows so much musicality in her EX program.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
She is still underrotating jumps in the FS. While others could have blamed the altitude in SLC as a fatigue factor, Mirai really can't do that since she trains in Colorado, also at altitude.

The look on her face when she fell was one of shock and surprise, as if someone had just played a nasty trick on her. It took her a while to get back into the program, and then it was mostly face grabbing, which doesn't really go with the character.

I wish she had chosen some other part of the opera Madama Butterfly other than the famous aria, because what that aria is saying is hopeful, not tragic, so her acting makes no sense. The aria says she knows that her lover will return to her---she can see his ship returning in the distance, he will return to her and they will be as they were before.

They should perhaps have chosen the music from the last act where her lover does return, but with his American wife, and they want to take Cio-Cio San's son back home with them to America. In despair, she commits hara-kiri. That music would fit Mirai's acting where the second act aria doesn't.

I agree with the UR'ing, but that's something her and Tom are working on. I've seen better jump technique out of her in 2 competitions early this season than I have in many seasons prior. Now, as far as her music and interpretation/choreography is concerned. Blame that on the choreographer aka Mr. Adam Rippon. While I welcome his experimenting with the world of choreography, he isn't someone that needs to be doing competitive choreographic work of this level. If he wants to do an exhibition piece here or there, fine (I liked his On Golden Pond program he did for Mirai), but the fact that Mirai has some of the most boring programs ever this season and is showing that she isn't "feeling" them nor is she properly interpreting them shows a problem. It's a bad fit of programs for her. She needs something more intense, etc. It says a lot that he won't even choreograph his own competition programs, but will others? :scratch:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I agree with the UR'ing, but that's something her and Tom are working on. I've seen better jump technique out of her in 2 competitions early this season than I have in many seasons prior. Now, as far as her music and interpretation/choreography is concerned. Blame that on the choreographer aka Mr. Adam Rippon. While I welcome his experimenting with the world of choreography, he isn't someone that needs to be doing choreographic work of this level. If he wants to do an exhibition piece here or there, fine but the fact that Mirai has some of the most boring programs ever this season and is showing that she isn't "feeling" them nor is she properly interpreting them shows a problem. It's a bad fit of programs for her. She needs something more intense, etc.

I don't think Adam is a bad choreographer these programs are lovely. They may not be what she needs. I have heard a lot of talk saying she needs something with more fire. I wanna say the last program that had fire was her Carmen program. She sold that well. I'm not saying skate to Carmen but maybe skate to something with a firey character. I would like to see what she could do with something like Tosca.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always have a bit of a giggle at people who hit the panic station buttons in September. I mean, it's September. The first GP is still more than a whole month away! At least wait until November before hitting panic stations!

(Even more amusing are the ones who hit them in August. or July!)

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I don't think Adam is a bad choreographer these programs are lovely. They may not be what she needs. I have heard a lot of talk saying she needs something with more fire. I wanna say the last program that had fire was her Carmen program. She sold that well. I'm not saying skate to Carmen but maybe skate to something with a firey character. I would like to see what she could do with something like Tosca.

Sorry, as a professional, I'll have to agree to disagree with your opinion on Rippon's choreography. His "golden pond" program was lovely, but these competitive pieces are fit for a novice skater, not a well seasoned Senior. And again, I'll say that it speaks volumes when he won't choreograph his own competition programs but will throw Mirai under the bus. Abbott at least choreographs his own competitive programs and they are wonderful. That just goes to show you confidence in work. Nothing against Adam, I just think he should have stuck with choreographing exhibition programs for now.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Actually, I'm wondering what they were thinking when they cut this music because her dramatic intent isn't at all clear. The first minute & a half (before un bel di begins) is a hodge podge of musical themes from different acts, beginning with the tenor's "I'm such a cad " aria from the 3d act. Then we get un bel di, which cuts abruptly to the music where the cad tenor discovers her after she kills herself + last few bars of the opera. I thought her Demons program, which I saw live , was lovely & showed that she is capable of being quite expressive, but she just seems to be sleepwalking here. Perhaps it will grow as she gets more comfortable with it.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Sorry, as a professional, I'll have to agree to disagree with your opinion on Rippon's choreography. His "golden pond" program was lovely, but these competitive pieces are fit for a novice skater, not a well seasoned Senior. And again, I'll say that it speaks volumes when he won't choreograph his own competition programs but will throw Mirai under the bus. Abbott at least choreographs his own competitive programs and they are wonderful. That just goes to show you confidence in work. Nothing against Adam, I just think he should have stuck with choreographing exhibition programs for now.

You are entitled. No need to apologize. I do love on golden pond. I do appreciate your perspective. You do bring up a point about choreographing his own programs. I do think it came from a good place though. Programs cost money and Adam helped Mirai out. She had no funding last year. I did notice that there have been a lot of changes to them now compared to Broadmore. I can't remember the name of the fellow she is working with in Colorado.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Actually, I'm wondering what they were thinking when they cut this music because her dramatic intent isn't at all clear. The first minute & a half (before un bel di begins) is a hodge podge of musical themes from different acts, beginning with the tenor's "I'm such a cad " aria from the 3d act. Then we get un bel di, which cuts abruptly to the music where the cad tenor discovers her after she kills herself + last few bars of the opera. I thought her Demons program, which I saw live , was lovely & showed that she is capable of being quite expressive, but she just seems to be sleepwalking here. Perhaps it will grow as she gets more comfortable with it.

This is one of the things I hit on in my posts, her "choreographer/music editor" who is probably the same person (Adam) doesn't have the ear to cut the music for proper interpretation (I went into the choreography failure in an earlier post). It's a mess. And if an "experienced" editor cut the music, shame on them (unless they just were told by Adam/Mirai what they wanted and threw it together with no content).

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
You are entitled. No need to apologize. I do love on golden pond. I do appreciate your perspective. You do bring up a point about choreographing his own programs. I do think it came from a good place though. Programs cost money and Adam helped Mirai out. She had no funding last year. I did notice that there have been a lot of changes to them now compared to Broadmore. I can't remember the name of the fellow she is working with in Colorado.

It's all good. And yes, I do think Adam was doing it as a favor to Mirai and it was good intentions but there were trialed professional choreographers out there who had an offer in to work with her (and not charge her out the rear for it), and she didn't take it. She's funded by M. Weiss' foundation. I don't understand her honestly, but I do hope she does well, sadly though skating on blind faith isn't going to do it for her. :eek:hwell:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most skaters are nervous when they skate in a major competition. Mirai is 21 and has been skating competitively at an elite level since she was 12-13 years old. There was a time when she was able to skate and express the joy she found in skating, but for the past four years, when I see her skating in a competition, she doesn't seem to enjoy what she is doing at all.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh Mirai... I just saw your FS. I am just ...<sighs>... I don't get it!

Will she ends up a Fumie, or Akiko eventually? It is nice of Adam to help, but man... she need better material.
Right now, this remind me of a Miki Ando program.

Maybe they can tweak the program for her next competition.
.....Or bring back Pirate!! Bring back Pirate!! Pirates of the Caribbean made 4 sequels, she can do too!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Compared to the performances Mirai did in the Broadmoor Open, I thought she lost her spark here. I'm really confused why they had to change the programs. The ones she skated in Broadmoor were amazing.

andyjo24

Medalist
I was disappointed by both of Mirai's programs. Personally, I do think she is done. It has already been four and a half years since the Vancouver Olympics, and Mirai has not shown us any progress at all. Just go to Wikipedia and check out her results since the 09-10 season, and you will see that there has been no improvement at all.... There is a small part of me that hopes that she comes back as the 2010 Mirai, but the chances of that happening seem very, very slim now, to be very honest... :rolleye: I do hope she can prove me wrong and make me :jaw: