Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

@mirainagasu
Landed my first axel today!!!! (The other way!)
http://instagram.com/p/uMGwa0i5VN/ (Oct 15 video)​

(Wish I could see it ... could not get the video to play. :eek:hwell:)

Oh, I'm sorry it doesn't play for you golden411. Instagram videos sometimes take a long time to load for me. Anyway, this is very cool. Unfortunately, she can't put it in a program because it uses up a jumping pass for next to nothing in the point total. :(

mrrice

Record Breaker
"For me, a genuinely expressive face does a lot to sell a program. I think Michelle Kwan and Akiko Suzuki were good examples - you felt their emotions while they skated and many of their best programs have brought me to tears at the end (thinking East of Eden for MK and POTO for Akiko)."

It does a lot for judges as well. Akiko, like Michelle, had a way about her that made judges "Invest" in her skating. Believe me, judges get bored with blank faced performers. Remember, they watch skating all day long. We have all seen those events we like to call, Splatfests !

Having a skater connect with you in what seems like a personal way, means a lot to a judge especially if they've been watching a bad event. Also, in my experience, some Judges have what I'd call......A god complex. Don't get wrong, they have trained hard at what they do and feel very justified in dumping a skater who refuses to perform for them.

In Dance, this happens all time. I don't know how it works in skating but, I've been around a while and it certainly seems like it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How much time do judges spend looking down to key in their scores?;)

This is great !!! I hate to admit this but, I have missed many a move looking down to write a score for a dance element. :slink:

Fortunately, now we actually speak into digital recorders and each dancer gets their own file with our commentary. We actually score the dancers after they finish dancing. That's why it seems to take forever between certain dancers.;)

Icey

Record Breaker
Thanks , mrrice, learn something new everyday-----and I've been around a long time lmao. I couldn't possibly be a judge.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad to see that Mirai is working hard on her jumps and can't wait to see her costume for MB. She doesn't need to go to Japan to shop at Uniqlo or Muji though. They have both right here in SoHo, NYC :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... She doesn't need to go to Japan to shop at Uniqlo or Muji though. They have both right here in SoHo, NYC :)

Sure ... and elsewhere in Manhattan too. But Colorado Springs is not NYC or LA, etc.
I bet that Mirai will be the first to know if/when they open outposts in the vicinity of her homebase. :yes:
Remember her tweet when she was about to leave Colorado before SOI at the end of her then-temporary training with TZ? She 'fessed up to skipping her final session at the rink for one last bit of shopping with bestie Zawadzki. TZ tweeted back that Mirai deserved her fun after working so hard while in CS. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
I was watching entries for Skate America and in the ISU says that Mirai trains 15h/week. It is really enough? it is like just 3h/day of mon-friday

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was watching entries for Skate America and in the ISU says that Mirai trains 15h/week. It is really enough? it is like just 3h/day of mon-friday

Just my two cents:

The exact word in the ISU bios is "Practice" (as opposed to "Training").

So maybe Mirai means 15 hrs/wk on ice ... and is excluding off-ice training???

The bio for Max Aaron (coached by TZ as well) says 30 hrs/wk, but perhaps Max is including both on-ice and off-ice training??

In other words, I think it is possible that "Practice" is open to different interpretations by different skaters.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm Mirai
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010531.htm Max​

Barb

Record Breaker
Just my two cents:

The exact word in the ISU bios is "Practice" (as opposed to "Training").

So maybe Mirai means 15 hrs/wk on ice ... and is excluding off-ice training???

The bio for Max Aaron (coached by TZ as well) says 30 hrs/wk, but perhaps Max is including both on-ice and off-ice training??

In other words, I think it is possible that "Practice" is open to different interpretations by different skaters.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010220.htm Mirai
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010531.htm Max​

ok, thank you, you must be right because 15h seems little practice.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure ... and elsewhere in Manhattan too. But Colorado Springs is not NYC or LA, etc.
I bet that Mirai will be the first to know if/when they open outposts in the vicinity of her homebase. :yes:
Remember her tweet when she was about to leave Colorado before SOI at the end of her then-temporary training with TZ? She 'fessed up to skipping her final session at the rink for one last bit of shopping with bestie Zawadzki. TZ tweeted back that Mirai deserved her fun after working so hard while in CS. :)

True. I wish they were holding Skate America or Nationals in NYC. I bet Barclays Center in Brooklyn would be a great venue. They hold hockey there, so why not figure skating? Then Mirai would be in shopping heaven!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Quotes from Tom Z re Mirai and Skate America are in another IN article:

Gold readies herself for showdown with Russians
Nagasu on the road to improvement; Cesario overcoming ankle, mono

Posted 10/20/14
by Lynn Rutherford
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/10/20/98735890

True. I wish they were holding Skate America or Nationals in NYC. I bet Barclays Center in Brooklyn would be a great venue. They hold hockey there, so why not figure skating? Then Mirai would be in shopping heaven!

:agree: I share your wish, apgold.
Another possibility (down the road) will be the big skating complex eventually coming to the Bronx. As soon as it opens, I bet it will make a bid for Skate America or Nats ... although we're still years away.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I like to hear Tom Z talking about the drills to deal with Mirai's URs. Must be difficult and frustrating for Mirai but she seems to be in a good place right now. It must be frustrating also b/c some of her UR are borderline so those might be hard to feel.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

That probably just means on-ice training, which if you already have the skills could be enough. Mao Asada was told by her coach to just do about 3h/day on-ice IIRC. O/w she'd just skate and skate and skate 8 hours straight. I mean how many lutzes and loops should one do per day? Tara was a maniac (in a good way) but it resulted in injuries galore. Sometimes less is more. She most likely is doing off ice training with weights, cardio, Pilates, possibly jazz/ballet the other amount of the time, or maybe she has a job to help pay the bills. She's looking pretty good right now, so whatever she's doing she seems to be on the right track. I am so hoping for her to have a successful Grand Prix, o/w she'll be hosed at Nats.

Off topic (though not really) I remember my hero John McEnroe saying in an interview in the 80s he probably only spent that much time a day on the tennis court. And he is one of the best ever. Versus Ivan Lendl (also one of the best) who probably trained nine hours a day on court. Who did better? Sometimes you just have to figure out what works for you.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's good to know Tom Z sees where Mirai's problem areas are. Her air position hasn't been great for a few seasons now and I think that's half the reason she can't get her jumps around. It's good to know he's addressing that. Also, it's great to see that he is pushing her to give more to the performance as well. That's a crucial part of getting her scores back up.

I'd like to see her work on the speed of some of her spins too. Her positions are always nice but she's lost a lot of speed in her flying and combo spins over the years. Luckily that layback is still awesome; speed is still amazing and the positions haven't lost any flexibility over the years. That in itself is incredible.

I'm crossing my fingers for Mirai. I just hope she's able to put forth a good effort this GP season and continue to build with each competition.

Layfan

Record Breaker
That probably just means on-ice training, which if you already have the skills could be enough. Mao Asada was told by her coach to just do about 3h/day on-ice IIRC. O/w she'd just skate and skate and skate 8 hours straight. I mean how many lutzes and loops should one do per day? Tara was a maniac (in a good way) but it resulted in injuries galore. Sometimes less is more. She most likely is doing off ice training with weights, cardio, Pilates, possibly jazz/ballet the other amount of the time, or maybe she has a job to help pay the bills. She's looking pretty good right now, so whatever she's doing she seems to be on the right track. I am so hoping for her to have a successful Grand Prix, o/w she'll be hosed at Nats.

Off topic (though not really) I remember my hero John McEnroe saying in an interview in the 80s he probably only spent that much time a day on the tennis court. And he is one of the best ever. Versus Ivan Lendl (also one of the best) who probably trained nine hours a day on court. Who did better? Sometimes you just have to figure out what works for you.

I'm pretty sure Mirai does off ice training and I don't see how you could fit that in 3 hours a day so I think you're right. She does look good. I hope she does well in the GP too but she has tough competition in her events, certainly in Skate America.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Good luck Mirai! Forget about the result, just focus on the skating. Enjoy it, love it, SHOW it, the audience will get it and the judges will too. Enjoy the under dog status, go for the chase, the attack and actually it is Gracie who got all pressure.

Although Mirai got Skate America, it is such a tough line up against Gracie, Radionova, Liza, these 3 the judges likely to have ear marked for the podium unless something drastic happens. The PCS should be telling after SP.