Mirai Nagasu's future prospects | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu's future prospects

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
She might not be ready to make it public yet. She said she has to move and she is still on tour. I am dying to know though. I just hope it isn't Tom Z. Half of me hopes it Kori and the other half hopes it's Brian Orser.

Kori and Orser are unlikely to take a skater who is past her peak. Mirai is a lovely skater but I see her with someone less "trendy" but well-established. What's Robin Wagner up to?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
My guesses on who will be her coach:
-Tom Z (from the general consensus here in GS)
-Peter Oppegard (away from home but still drivable to visit?)
-Kori (she did say that she's planning to move out so why not?)
-Orser (this one is a bit far fetched for me since he is handling a full house in the Cricket Club)

FSfan99

Rinkside
Probably Tom Z. He was saying some nice things on Twitter about her. What about Arutunian?

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Mirai holds duel American and Japanese citizenship, at least until her 22nd birthday. I'm curious if she'd ever consider skating for Japan - with Akiko retired and Mao taking the season off, she'd surely get sent on a lot of events because Kanako is the only other one close to her in skills. If only the USFSA would release her...

Source of her dual citizenship's here: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/02/11/meet-team-usa-mirai-nagasu/

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Kori and Orser are unlikely to take a skater who is past her peak. Mirai is a lovely skater but I see her with someone less "trendy" but well-established. What's Robin Wagner up to?

I can dream:) I get funny about Tom Z because of what happened to Rachel Flatt

noskates

Record Breaker
How can you say Kori wouldn't take a skater who is past her peak? I've never read anything or heard anything that would back that up.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Mirai holds duel American and Japanese citizenship, at least until her 22nd birthday. I'm curious if she'd ever consider skating for Japan - with Akiko retired and Mao taking the season off, she'd surely get sent on a lot of events because Kanako is the only other one close to her in skills. If only the USFSA would release her...

Source of her dual citizenship's here: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/02/11/meet-team-usa-mirai-nagasu/

Skaters do not need a release to skate for a country of which they are a citizen of. However, ISU rules dictate that singles skaters must sit out for two seasons before they can switch countries. I don't think Mirai would want to do that. Further, she would have to give up her US citizenship if she kept her Japanese citizenship, as Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship once people turn 22. Mirai is already 21. Not sure Mirai would want to lose US citizenship.

slider11

Medalist
Mirai needs a coach who will correct her technical problems, help her find the right music to emote the right emotions (love the analogy of the department store manequin!) and make her work her butt off! A tall order but she has such potential. She may only be 21 but she needs to get this going now. Wherever she lands she has got to put in the work. A good coach should be able to advocate for 2 GP slots. However usfsa ended up playing with placements she was the National bronze medalist!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hoping very much it's not Evil Z. No-one should ever go to him.

#freeMax #freeAgnes #freeBrandon

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
What about Arutunian?

Had that thought too, given her bond with Adam, but would that require her moving out of her parents' house? Can't remember exactly where her family is in Cali...

I suppose, though, that she could decide to move out of her parents' house regardless, to signal a new era of her life.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Mirai has found a new spark, has realized that what she's been doing with regards to coaching, traveling or whatever - was not working. And that she still has the ability to compete and place. I would like to see Mirai lose about 15 lbs., find a coach that will really COACH her, fix some of the laziness on the jumps, and give her a program that she can emote to. Her On Golden Pond will be a classic for her. She needs more music like that. As much as I like her, to me she seems 'heavy' on the ice - not the Mirai of old. I don't know if that's physical or that she's just settled into a style that is comfortable for her.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Mirai has found a new spark, has realized that what she's been doing with regards to coaching, traveling or whatever - was not working. And that she still has the ability to compete and place. I would like to see Mirai lose about 15 lbs., find a coach that will really COACH her, fix some of the laziness on the jumps, and give her a program that she can emote to. Her On Golden Pond will be a classic for her. She needs more music like that. As much as I like her, to me she seems 'heavy' on the ice - not the Mirai of old. I don't know if that's physical or that she's just settled into a style that is comfortable for her.

Mirai would NOT be at a healthy weight if she lost 15 pounds. This is a ridiculous suggestion. She has curves and they won't go away no matter what she does- it's called puberty. I have seen her in person numerous times and she is TINY and fit.

Also people in America (and I guess elsewhere too) tend to think all weight loss is a good thing. No. Fat loss is a good thing. Muscle loss rarely if ever is. Chances of Miral being able to lose 15 pounds of fat, even if she wanted to, are practicallly nill due to how small she already is.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
And Mirai isn't past her peak. Her artistry at SOI was a noticeable improvement. She just needs better programs and a supportive coach.

I love on Golden Pond. Mirai was always artistic, I just don't think her programs the last few seasons were well suited to her. And I don't believe Mirai is past her prime. Not at all. I would seriously love to see her work with a good technical coach. Adam Rippon did her competitive programs so I am excited to see those.

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't lump all people in America!!!! It's just my opinion. I don't think she looks light on the ice anymore.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Don't lump all people in America!!!! It's just my opinion. I don't think she looks light on the ice anymore.

I'm American, so no hating or lumping, but I do think it's a fact we are all part of a weight loss culture here (whether each individual succumbs to it or not), and not AT ALL a healthy one. Slim Fast, Jenny Craig, Atkins... the list goes on and on and the vast majority of the programs are at best debatably healthy and not even debatably sustainable. There is really a borderline cultural obsession with weight loss (though not with giving people the tools to keep weight off) and with being thin, even though the majority of Americans are, statistically, fat. Much of that too is just my opinion though.

In any case, back on topic, thinking Mirai is not light on the ice is one thing, but thinking someone who is 5' 3" and 110 lbs should actually be 95 lbs is a rather extreme conclusion to leap to from not thinking she looks light on the ice. 95 lbs is in no way a healthy weight for any normal framed person who is Mirai's height, athlete or not, and this is a fact. Unfortunately (perhaps) Mirai IS a normal framed person. She can't help it. It is her bones and it is the fact that she's a woman.

I am honestly not meaning to attack or fight with you, but to say she should perhaps work on reaching an optimal point of fitness or get faster on the ice is one thing; to suggest she should lose 15 pounds is another.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I am honestly not meaning to attack or fight with you, but to say she should perhaps work on reaching an optimal point of fitness or get faster on the ice is one thing; to suggest she should lose 15 pounds is another.

This. I do not for a second think Mirai has a weight problem.

I do think that last season, at least, she struggled with her fitness and stamina. It seemed she needed to rest in the middle of her program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just saw this interview with Mirai.

http://www.figureskating-online.com/mirai-nagasu.html

She says she has settled on a new coaching situation and will be moving out of her parents' home. ...

Loved the new interview with Mirai. Thanks for the link, BG.

That's not accurate. Mirai was coached by Mura's father in Japan after NHK, and I believe she stayed there until late December. By all accounts, she was very happy with the coaching situation there. She only spent about a week temporarily training in Arizona prior to Nationals, probably because of the Doug Razzano connection.

Sorry if my question is dumb:
I know that Razzano trains in Arizona and that Ladret is his coach.
But what is Mirai's connection to Razzano that would cause her to train with Ladret, as opposed to any other coach in the U.S.?

BTW, re Ladret:
It's a positive reflection on him that both Mirai and Razzano had great skates at Nationals.

Regarding the thread's earlier discussion of whether Mirai's pre-Nats training with Ladret was a matter of months or only days:
Razzano's new blog entry (Jun 2) indicates that it lasted only a week, as ntl said.
.... In the lead up to Boston, I felt like I was in the best shape of my career. .... The week before the event, Mirai Nagasu skated with me in Scottsdale which was a nice change of pace. We pushed each other, we helped each other. It was really great to have her there.
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/douglasrazzano/blog.html#06022014

If Mirai's choice for a long-term coach going forward is not Tom Z, does anyone think it could be Ladret?

And I'm still curious about the question in my earlier post. Does Mirai have a strong friendship with Razzano (comparable to her closeness with Zawadzki)? I would think that training alongside one of her besties would be all the more desirable for Mirai because she no longer will be living at home.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In any case, back on topic, thinking Mirai is not light on the ice is one thing, but thinking someone who is 5' 3" and 110 lbs should actually be 95 lbs is a rather extreme conclusion to leap to from not thinking she looks light on the ice. 95 lbs is in no way a healthy weight for any normal framed person who is Mirai's height, athlete or not, and this is a fact.

I agree. Mirai has muscular legs and she will not have the body she had when she was 16 ever again. There have been great skaters who have succeeded with a similar build, including Irina, Tonya, and Midori. For me, she needs to find programs that she can better relate to and enjoy performing. The last few years I felt like she "does" her choreography rather than "performs" it. As soon as she exhibits that spark and love of skating we all admired before, she will find herself doing well in the sport.