Julia Antipova seriously ill | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Julia Antipova seriously ill

LisaM

Medalist
Has anyone ever said in an interview so far that Nodari complained that Yulia`s weight was a problem for him? That her weight was hurting his back or something like that? Yulia said that he took their coach`s side, that he supported Pavlova, but she didn`t say that he pushed her to lose weight because it was difficult for him to work with her. On the contrary, she says that Nodari is a strong reliable partner. Pavlova states completely the same. She says that Yulia`s weight wasn`t a problem for Nodari at all, that he was strong enough to cope with it, but that it was problem for Yulia herself, because it was dangerous to make throws with gained weight.
I don`t want to say that Nodari is saint, but it seems to me that it`s not him who caused this situation. Maybe he should have reported earlier that something is going wrong with the girl, yes, but still, there are rumours that it`s his good acquaintences who brought this story to public.

That's literally what we're trying to say. No one is the CAUSE of the situation, but obviously he's involved in one way or another too.

hanca

Record Breaker
Has anyone ever said in an interview so far that Nodari complained that Yulia`s weight was a problem for him? That her weight was hurting his back or something like that? Yulia said that he took their coach`s side, that he supported Pavlova, but she didn`t say that he pushed her to lose weight because it was difficult for him to work with her. On the contrary, she says that Nodari is a strong reliable partner. Pavlova states completely the same. She says that Yulia`s weight wasn`t a problem for Nodari at all, that he was strong enough to cope with it, but that it was problem for Yulia herself, because it was dangerous to make throws with gained weight.
I don`t want to say that Nodari is saint, but it seems to me that it`s not him who caused this situation. Maybe he should have reported earlier that something is going wrong with the girl, yes, but still, there are rumours that it`s his good acquaintences who brought this story to public.

Well, he didn't tell her it was difficult for him to work with her. He told her that if she doesn't want the coach to shout at her, she should lose weight (while she weighed only 39 kilos). Very supportive partner! Such a sweetheart! It doesn't really matter that his acquaintances brought this story to public. I am not blaming him for the anorexia, because there wouldn't be just one person who caused it; but I am saying that he definitely contributed to it.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Well, he didn't tell her it was difficult for him to work with her. He told her that if she doesn't want the coach to shout at her, she should lose weight (while she weighed only 39 kilos). Very supportive partner! Such a sweetheart! It doesn't really matter that his acquaintances brought this story to public. I am not blaming him for the anorexia, because there wouldn't be just one person who caused it; but I am saying that he definitely contributed to it.
Well, we don't know that. Pavlova certainly shouted at her at some point, wanting her to lose weight, but we don't know wether she weighed 39kg or more at that point in time. Pavlova doesn't seem to be nice, but she doesn't seem to be stupid either.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
157 cm and 46 kg (5'2" and 102 lbs) seems like a perfectly fine size for a pairs girl. For comparison, Megan Duhamel's Olympic Bio says she is 148 cm and 48 kg (4'10" and 105 lbs) and she looks tiny out on the ice. This lady is delusional. Even the itty bitty Chinese pair girls Julia's height are around 41-43 kg, not 39 kg.

Meoima

Match Penalty
157 cm and 46 kg (5'2" and 102 lbs) seems like a perfectly fine size for a pairs girl. For comparison, Megan Duhamel's Olympic Bio says she is 148 cm and 48 kg (4'10" and 105 lbs) and she looks tiny out on the ice. This lady is delusional. Even the itty bitty Chinese pair girls Julia's height are around 41-43 kg, not 39 kg.
In East Asia, currently where I'm living, a lady who weighs 40kg is considered too thin already. :unsure:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I weight 43kg, and I´m not skinny, but I mus said I got two doctors who watch over me because of some health issues (mostly recomendation is that I shouldn´t gain uch weight becuase of the way my body is constructed and because there is a lot of history of diabetes in my family)... But then again I have two doctors watching my diet and the rest of my body... pluss the place were I work has programs where test are made to you and read so you are sure you are healthy :)

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I am curious of whether they also calculate fat %, bone mass, and muscle %. I always thought that these were the things that matter the most. Volosozhar is 159 or 160 cm and weights 45 kg, but she's like one huge muscle (although not the same as Savchenko or Duhamel). You can be 48 kg, but if fat % is 25, then it's not good, while if the fat % is 10, then it's a way healthier body. I feel shocked that Russian coaches talk about kgs, and not about how it all relates to fat %, muscle mass, height, etc.

I hope that Julia's example will force Russian coaches (and all coaches in general) into being more sensible about the weight and into using a more professional approach. Probably even a regulation that would require a professional nutritionist at each skating school. The way it's done now :mad: :slink: But sadly I don't see any investigations or changes pending.

peg

Medalist
I am curious of whether they also calculate fat %, bone mass, and muscle %. I always thought that these were the things that matter the most. Volosozhar is 159 or 160 cm and weights 45 kg, but she's like one huge muscle (although not the same as Savchenko or Duhamel). You can be 48 kg, but if fat % is 25, then it's not good, while if the fat % is 10, then it's a way healthier body. I feel shocked that Russian coaches talk about kgs, and not about how it all relates to fat %, muscle mass, height, etc.

Umm, no. 10% body fat is not a healthier body than 25%. Actually, 25% body fat is pretty healthy for a woman (ideal for a woman 18-25 years old is a little over 22%), although for elite athletes you'd normally shoot for a little under 20%. Approximately 17% body fat is the minimum women need in order to maintain reproductive health. While some elite athletes are definitely below that, you increase risk of long-term health issues including loss of bone density, partly because hormone levels drop and menstruation ceases, which is a risk factor for osteoporosis. And having low bone density as a skater landing triple jumps, throw jumps etc would really increase your risk of various types o fractures.

10% body fat for a woman is severely underweight - many anorexics never even get that low - and puts basic survival at risk. 10-13% body fat is considered essential for survival for a woman. It's lower for men, but for woman 10% is extremely unhealthy. If anyone had told Julia to aim for 10%, that would explain how sick she got.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I agree with peg. There's even a name for it: Female Athlete Triad, FAT (osteoporosis, disordered eating habits + menstrual disfunctions).
Pavlova said in the interview, that when she saw Julia the first time, she was stout (whatever this means from Pavlova) and then when she started training with her she was very thin (the mentioned 39kg) they were practicing technical elements and she gained weight (2x 2kg per week), quite a lot. We're talking about an increase of body weight of about 10%. As her coach she couldn't ignore that, because training the technical elements could get dangerous. It wasn't about her actual weight, but about the very fast increase of weight. So from Pavlovas view, it sounds like Julia has had an eating disorder from the very beginning. Not anorexia nervosa, but definitly an eating disorder.
And from that point on it seems that the measures that were taken were all wrong.

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Umm, no. 10% body fat is not a healthier body than 25%. Actually, 25% body fat is pretty healthy for a woman (ideal for a woman 18-25 years old is a little over 22%), although for elite athletes you'd normally shoot for a little under 20%. Approximately 17% body fat is the minimum women need in order to maintain reproductive health. While some elite athletes are definitely below that, you increase risk of long-term health issues including loss of bone density, partly because hormone levels drop and menstruation ceases, which is a risk factor for osteoporosis. And having low bone density as a skater landing triple jumps, throw jumps etc would really increase your risk of various types o fractures.

10% body fat for a woman is severely underweight - many anorexics never even get that low - and puts basic survival at risk. 10-13% body fat is considered essential for survival for a woman. It's lower for men, but for woman 10% is extremely unhealthy. If anyone had told Julia to aim for 10%, that would explain how sick she got.

Oh, I was just using numbers to illustrate the example. Sorry about confusion. They are totally taken from the ceiling just to illustrate the point that some other measurements are more important than weight itself :) so there's no need in speculating if Julia was ever told to aim for 10% fat. Sad truth is that all her coaches talked about were kgs - and that's totally unprofessional for someone working with elite athletes. I wish they cared more about overall health of these young kids.

Edit: wiki says that 14-20% is 'norm' for athletes. I don't know if it's the recommended one or the average one.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In East Asia, currently where I'm living, a lady who weighs 40kg is considered too thin already. :unsure:

It is too thin, but I'm using it as an example. For example a young Asian skater with a very slight build may be genetically prone to being thin. http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/li/li-zijun-1.html According to her bio, at the Olympics last year, 17 year old Zijun Li had a height of 161 cm and weight of 45 kg. Obviously, that's really thin, but 45 kg (99 lbs) is a lot more than 39 kg (86 lbs) while 161 cm (5'3.5") is not that much taller than 157 cm (5'2"). So while 45 kg may be healthy for Zijun Li, it would be crazy to suggest that she'd need to loose 3 or 4 kg to get to an "optimum" weight.

peg

Medalist
Oh, I was just using numbers to illustrate the example. Sorry about confusion. They are totally taken from the ceiling just to illustrate the point that some other measurements are more important than weight itself :) so there's no need in speculating if Julia was ever told to aim for 10% fat. Sad truth is that all her coaches talked about were kgs - and that's totally unprofessional for someone working with elite athletes. I wish they cared more about overall health of these young kids.

Edit: wiki says that 14-20% is 'norm' for athletes. I don't know if it's the recommended one or the average one.

No worries. I just didn't want anyone who doesn't know about healthy fat percentages to walk away thinking that 10% body fat on a woman was actually healthy.

And yes, many athletes do fall in the 14-20% range, but those that are below about 17% are putting their long-term health at risk. As psusanne mentioned, there is a condition called Female Athlete Triad, which includes osteoporosis and menstrual dysfunction. It is not healthy, but some choose to do this in order to achieve certain success in sport. Many hockey players and boxers have had multiple concussions. To some degree, that is 'normal' is certain sports. But it's certainly not healthy.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Julia posted a thank you video. The English subtitles work for the first little bit.

http://youtu.be/_WBcyg5hFAE

She seems to be in pretty good spirits.

There are 2 threads that I always dread popping up, because my first thought is always "Oh, no! This might be the sort of news I don't want to hear".

And both of them have popped up in the past few days! :eek:

One of them is the Carolina doping ban thread. And the other is this thread.

So, you can imagine my delight when I watched the video Julia has made!

Thank you so much for posting the link, Sam! This is the best news I have heard all year!

All the best for your continued recovery, Julia

CaroLiza_fan

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is another recent report:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SulLCCulfU. I don't know if it was posted already. Anyway, I'm so glad for her, she looks happy. :)

Just seeing her smile thru her words has made my day. I don't understand Russian but I think I am able to understand sincerity and positivity regardless of the language barrier. I'm going to make a cheers "to life" tonight :cool:

Last edited: