Julia Antipova seriously ill | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Julia Antipova seriously ill

peg

Medalist
Yes, I was referring to Radionova. That's why in my response I specifically quoted only the part where wordsworthgirl was asking about Radionova. I had already expressed my concern about Julia.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a friend who looked exactly like Julia in that picture from starving herself nearly to death. I'm actually shocked they released the picture of Julia and I hope it is a good sign and that the photo was taken at the beginning of her treatment and not very recently. My friend almost died and she has to still go take tests many years after her recovery for things like heart problems. Anorexia is the deadliest of psychological disorders. The damage done isn't always reversible. The scars it left on me as a friend will last a lifetime. Take care of yourselves and think before posting things on people's weight. You never know who is reading your words and the effect it could have on them.

peg

Medalist
I too am surprised they released that picture. I think it's exploitative, actually. There was no need to show her in just underwear.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I don't think you can say she is unhealthy either just by looking at her, either from TV or on the rink. Genetically she has thin parents (from some interview I watched on youtube), which is actually a big factor. She also has extremely narrow bones. Even if she is too thin for her age, it's a huge speculation to say that she starved herself just to stay competitive. Some skaters definitely have faster metabolism. She might be this thin without being trained as a skater.

If you think that how she looks is in any way normal and healthy for a 16 year old, or if you think that how she looks is just as if she is going through a growth spurt, I honestly do not know how to help you. I highly and sincerely suggest that you seek some help gaining perspective on what people at a healthy weight (even VERY thin people at a healthy weight) actually look like. Your perception is extremely distorted.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And now her family is on their own. I hope she will get better soon but where the money will come? Poor her family...

sillylionlove

Medalist
Very sad. She needs help. The article said she weighed 25 kg at one point. I googled that and it's 55 pounds!!! That's crazy. I feel bad for her. Anorexia never ends well when people don't receive the proper treatment.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was only thinking about Julia only a few days ago, and was wondering how she was doing.

This is not the sort of update I wanted to hear.

Well that´s not very nice of the RFSA. Hopefuly they will reconsider, this child needs help

I could not agree with you more!

I know the Russian Fed said they were withdrawing the funding because Julia could get treated at home for free. But, would she get the same quality of treatment in Russia?

Put it like this, if she could get the best treatment possible for her condition in Russia, I'm sure her family wouldn't have gone through the upheaval of taking her to Isreal in the first place.

I wonder if there could be some sort of fundraising drive organised to raise funds for Julia's treatment. Say, a collection at the Russian, European and World Championships. I'm sure that the fans would be only too willing to contribute.

Julia has been through enough as it is. She doesn't deserve this.

All the best with your recovery, Julia.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

bsfan

On the Ice
I read from fsu site that Julia has improved and not in critical condition anymore. So the RF will cover her treatment in Russia, hoping she will come back for further treatment.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I read from fsu site that Julia has improved and not in critical condition anymore. So the RF will cover her treatment in Russia, hoping she will come back for further treatment.

Hopefully that's the case! Spasibo bsfan, please post a link if you happen to find one?

tulosai

Record Breaker

Yes I am wondering if some of the posters actually read the article. While I agree 100% this is NOT ideal and DO SINCERELY wish the federation would continue to pay, the Federation is willing to continue to pay if she comes back to Russia, and has already paid twice as much as it agreed to pay. While I agree the problem is serious, bluntly, money is not limitless, and she is lucky to be from a country where a federation would help at all. At a certain point one has to be realistic even when circumstances are tragic.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
When did that happen she switched to Israel? Didn't Polina do that too, but not so successful so far?

tulosai

Record Breaker
When did that happen she switched to Israel? Didn't Polina do that too, but not so successful so far?

She has not. She is only receiving treatment for anorexia there. The Russian Fed. sent her there SOLELY for treatment because the treatment she was receiving in Russia was not effective.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Johnny Weir, Irina Slutskaya and other have put up a request to donate on Instagram. You can read the English translation on Johnnys Facebook page. It's a regram from her partner. There is a Russian Find page people can donate to.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
They have a facebook page, I don´t post the link because I think is againts teh GSF rules. But they have pictures dated 1st december. She looks so skinny still... :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is so hard to believe she was no. 8 at her first world's and then less than six months later she is fighting for her life and eight months later she is still fighting and not out of danger yet. And here we talk about UR's and skaters needing a triple lutz triple toe combo. It really puts things into perspective. Go Julia and I hope this doesn't become about money. Maybe there will be a happy ending though I fear there may be some real damage to her body already.