JGP - state of Ladies after four Events | Page 3 | Golden Skate

JGP - state of Ladies after four Events

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
You're kind of playing two decks here. On one hand you say "Russian fans" are a bit crazy and overstating the accomplishments and talents of their favorite skaters unfairly. But only a post or two before you say this:

Yuna,Mao, and Kwan are legends in my book and you equate Wakaba to them or a young version. I think it's great that Wakaba evokes these feelings in you and good for her in doing so. Where have you seen Russian fans comparing skaters to legends like this. I can't say Serafima or Evgenia remind me of anyone. To me they seem fresh and that is part of the appeal.

Back on Topic: does anyone think Karen Chen can sneak into the GPF. Apparently all she needs is a silver medal score of 161 :popcorn:

Yes, I said her lutz/jump technique was really good. Because it is. It was a comparison, not a fanservice, I frankly had never even seen Higuchi skate before today. :)

On topic: I want Karen Chen to sneak into GPF! I think she can totally do it if she has no more injuries. She seems tough but injuries are not good. I hope she can do it! :agree:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope a Russian will win!

My money is on Serafima now. My question is this. Will the Russian fed only send one of these two girls to seniors and keep the other one back(whoever doesn't win) to try and win the following season. I mean...the senior field is deep. Is there a limit to how many junior seasons allowed?

Honestly I just hope the best skater wins and it isn't an edge call decision. I'm hoping for Sima though :)

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
Back on Topic: does anyone think Karen Chen can sneak into the GPF. Apparently all she needs is a silver medal score of 161 :popcorn:

Actually, if Karen Chen gets silver medal, it is not necessarily enough.

Evgenia has 30, Sima 30, Wakaba 28, Yuka 26 and Miyu 24. Well if for example Maria wins in Croatia, she has 28 and Karen has 24. Now it is a tie with Miyu, but Miyu won JGP Estonia, so Karen cant get in the GPF.

If Alexandra wins, she has 26 and if Karen is second, she has 24. Again Miyu will get in the GPF instead of Karen.

So it seems that Karen must beat Alexandra and Maria in the JGP Croatia, if she wants to the JGF. I hope she can do it :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Meh. Don't like any of the Russian girls. No connection to the music, jumps lack in technique but rotate because of their super thin bodies, emphasis placed on flexibility rather than skating skills. Makes me feel sad really.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You're hilarious! Please, post more.

P.S. I just spat my coffee all over my laptop.

Snow63

Record Breaker
My money is on Serafima now. My question is this. Will the Russian fed only send one of these two girls to seniors and keep the other one back(whoever doesn't win) to try and win the following season. I mean...the senior field is deep. Is there a limit to how many junior seasons allowed?

Honestly I just hope the best skater wins and it isn't an edge call decision. I'm hoping for Sima though :)

I'm ready to bet my money on Sima too.
About seniors: there's a rumour that there will be two womens teams - one for Euros and one for Worlds. I think it's really a good idea.

So it seems that Karen must beat Alexandra and Maria in the JGP Croatia, if she wants to the JGF. I hope she can do it :)
Her chances are really slim IMO. But not non-existent. With two clean skates and if russian girls will make mistakes everything's possible. But if any of russians will have 2 clean skates themselves, than Karen will be out IMO. Of course if judges would not decide that we need an american skater at jGPF, which is very possible :cool:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I'm ready to bet my money on Sima too.

Sima's skate in Lyublyana was IMO the highest moment of this GP series so far with the big margin to everybody else both impression and score wise. She just needs to skate clean or almost clean. Evgenya can safely aim for the second position without the fix of lutz but she does not have the luxury to fall, underotate etc. Otherwise, she may lose to clean Wakaba. Maria and Sasha are still big "if"s. I do hope that they will show next week what they already showed last season. Then the 4 Russians will be the main podium contenders. I wish that Karen Chen joined them in GPF - her skating style is very appealing and I am sure there is a great talent in her. But I just do not see her making it provided Proklova and Sotskova are both in.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Sima's skate in Lyublyana was IMO the highest moment of this GP series so far with the big margin to everybody else both impression and score wise. She just needs to skate clean or almost clean. Evgenya can safely aim for the second position without the fix of lutz but she does not have the luxury to fall, underotate etc. Otherwise, she may lose to clean Wakaba. Maria and Sasha are still big "if"s. I do hope that they will show next week what they already showed last season. Then the 4 Russians will be the main podium contenders. I wish that Karen Chen joined them in GPF - her skating style is very appealing and I am sure there is a great talent in her. But I just do not see her making it provided Proklova and Sotskova are both in.

Yeah. Her skating at Ljubliana was dazzling.
I like Chen's step seqs but that's all. I don't know why but I don't like her style too much. Too many messy movements.

MalAssada

Medalist
I think it's a nice timing to post here.

Right now, Proklova's chances of winning (therefore making it to JGPF) are almost non existent. She is 11 points behind Karen Chen and 7 points behind Maria, and unless both skate the bomb of their lives, well... :slink:

I can't wait for the free skate!

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Karen needs to hold on to first place to qualify. Hope she can do that.

2nd place will be enough for Sotskova.

These two will be qualifying most probably (%99).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Chen was good no doubt but her score looks inflated - I would have no questions if she had 3-3. But judges will not be able to help her if she falls and Maria not at FS. So, she has to resist all the pressures. In fact, she is the only non-Russian skater at this JGP series whom I really like - she skates well, she has style being able to do everything not just athletic jumps. Her winning and Maria's being second will be the best outcome: they will both get into the final. And as for Sasha, I already said last time - she is too young to push herself beyond her limits. She needs to recover, otherwise it will only be worse. She has tons of talent and years ahead of her.

Meoima

Match Penalty
But Karen didn't have a great FS last time. I don't know. I really like her SP but her LP is a big question. I hope she can pull through.

MalAssada

Medalist
So, guys, this is it.

1. Maria Sotskova (with a fall)
2. Karen Chen
3. Sasha Proklova (singled her axel)

Maria Sotskova is in, Sasha Proklova and Karen Chen aren't.

I don't think Sotskova deserved the gold, but that's to be discussed in another topic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So, guys, this is it.

1. Maria Sotskova (with a fall)
2. Karen Chen
3. Sasha Proklova (singled her axel)

Maria Sotskova is in, Sasha Proklova and Karen Chen aren't.

I don't think Sotskova deserved the gold, but that's to be discussed in another topic.

Karen fell too--- and she had a major pop for what was a 2A-3T, while Maria pulled off two -3T combos. I think the scoring is fair.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
And Chen had an edge call and Maria didn't. Maria had harder combos after the half. She played the COP game smarter. Karen had the advantage going in and didn't take it.