Duhamel adds another pairs skating first | Golden Skate

Duhamel adds another pairs skating first

Taan

On the Ice
:eek: :clap::clap: :eek:
Duhamel adds another pairs skating first
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2014/09/15/duhamel-adds-another-pairs-skating-first
Much of their summer practice time was spent learning and refining the quad throw Salchow.

“We had one-hour sessions every day and worked on that element for a half hour every practice,” Duhamel said. “It was nice to have something to work on in the summer. It kept us motivated and our other elements became more consistent than ever were. We can land it every day now and have now incorporated it into our regular routine.”

It took time to perfect.

“The first time we tried it, we realized it would be possible to land and it was not some ridiculous idea,” she said. “We just had to keep trying until we landed one, and when we did, I realized quick that was that was feeling we want and I knew how to do it.

“I had to learn to rotate four times after spending the last 17 years doing it three times, so we spent two weeks focused on rotating,” she added. “Next we spent almost two weeks learning to step out of it every day. It took five weeks of practice before landing it, and since then we land at least one every day. It's in our program and we do it every run through and will try it at every competition this year.”
:rock:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
More recently, Sui and Han of China have done quad throw Salcow

I don't remember a single competition they made it absolutely clean. Although they executed it better than Castelli/Shnapir.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If they can land it clean regularly, that would truly distinguish them from the others who've done it before to varying degrees of success: Vise/Trent, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Sui/Han. (Did I miss anyone else for this list?)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If they can land it clean regularly, that would truly distinguish them from the others who've done it before to varying degrees of success: Vise/Trent, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Sui/Han. (Did I miss anyone else for this list?)

The Zhangs also landed a lovely 4S in their National competition. Of course, Shen/Zhao were SOOOO close to landing the 4S throw at the Olympics (2002 I believe).

jcoates

Medalist
It's great that they are trying it, but I'm annoyed that the article is so poorly sourced as to omit the other skaters who have landed it successfully. Heck, the Carruthers were training it 30 years ago, but never did it in competition. The quotes from her are also self-serving and almost imply that they are actually pioneering the move. It's been done before, as was written above, they only way this would be remarkable would be if it became a consistent move. Just like when S/S make the throw 3F a staple. It had been done years earlier (as had the throw 3Z) but not as a standard throw.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's great that they are trying it, but I'm annoyed that the article is so poorly sourced as to omit the other skaters who have landed it successfully. Heck, the Carruthers were training it 30 years ago, but never did it in competition. The quotes from her are also self-serving and almost imply that they are actually pioneering the move. It's been done before, as was written above, they only way this would be remarkable would be if it became a consistent move. Just like when S/S make the throw 3F a staple. It had been done years earlier (as had the throw 3Z) but not as a standard throw.

This article is written for a local readership and is focused on Duhamel, even omitting Radford in the title. Of course it's an error to claim the throw as a first when in the article itself Megan mentions other teams having done it except this season one team has stopped doing it and the other has split. Meagan and Eric want to raise their technical level with this throw to take the opportunity of the time of disarrays in Pairs skating. Meagan is not responsible for the poor writing.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
That's awesome. I think Meagan Duhamel is great. She is the most adventurous pairs figure skater these days (topping, I think, Aliona Savchenko). I love hearing her calculate points in the kiss & cry when I'm watching on TV. :)

hanca

Record Breaker
This article is written for a local readership and is focused on Duhamel, even omitting Radford in the title. Of course it's an error to claim the throw as a first when in the article itself Megan mentions other teams having done it except this season one team has stopped doing it and the other has split. Meagan and Eric want to raise their technical level with this throw to take the opportunity of the time of disarrays in Pairs skating. Meagan is not responsible for the poor writing.

And another one learned it. Kavaguti-Smirnov have their throw quad Salchow back.

hanca

Record Breaker

That's true, but at this moment they are saying that they can land "at least one every day", which doesn't seem to me that consistent. The problem with landing it at competitions is that they have only one attempt and have to lad it. It is not like they have numerous attempts and the best counts.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Not personally a fan of their style, but I admire their risk-taking with the side-by-side lutzes. Really respect them for trying the quad throw as well. That could force the judges to sit up and notice and pull them higher on the pecking order.

It's only a first if they get it consistent though. Other pairs have done it at various points. I'm a little worried that these quad/axel throws just seem to lead to injuries more than anything else...