How many people here are glad that Irina's back? | Golden Skate

How many people here are glad that Irina's back?

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I posted about this exact same thing at MKW, moments ago, if anyone is interested. I just wanted to get some positive discussion going. So how many of us are glad that Irina is back skating? I certainly am, and for her to skate as well as she did at Worlds was just spectacular. A 9th place finish certainly was not bad at all considering she was sick so many times before. I truly have felt sorry for Irina, and I hope and pray that she stays healthy from now on. That would be extremely nice. :D

Last edited:
Hi, Angie. Well, I can't speak for everybody, but I think the answer to your question, "How many people are glad that Irina is back." is ... EVERYBODY!

Mathman:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Count my vote as a strong yes. She brings so much to the sport, her speed, powerful jumps, a fighting spirit, and a unique style that is all her own................42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Count me in as far as being glad that Irina is back skating. I love her speed and smile and love she has for the sport.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
sk8ing lady,
Count me in! But don't use Irina's World's performance as a yardstick of her 'being back'. Be sure to watch her performance at the Marshall's cheesefest which is being broadcast in May. She skated the same Queen of Spades/Hearts whatever program that she used as an LP at World's, but landed her flip and lutz as well as the other 4 triples she landed in Dortmund. She was full of energy and be sure to notice that the Providence, Rhode Island, USA, audience applauds wildly for her and then boos when her marks come up and are too low in their estimation.

I can tell you, the audience vote for,
"Are you glad Irina is back?"

Was resoundingly YES YES YES!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yes. Count me in as the one glad Irina is back. I was disapointed last year she couldn't compete just when I start to really appreciate her skating. So glad she is back and getting stronger.

Kasey

Medalist
I have never been an Irina fan, and probably still won't be. But I am glad that she has made a comeback, and hope that her health stays better.

Kasey

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I am glad she's back. I hope she continues to be well enough to skate. I do worry that she may be pushing herself too hard. That sounded like such a dangerous illness. I want her back to stay for a while.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm with Kasey...

I've never been all that fond of Irina as a skater. She's just never excited me. (Sorry!) However, as a sportswoman, I find her amazing, and I'm very glad she made it back on to the ice. I am, however, concerned about the timing of the comeback - did I correctly hear the fluff piece where she said she came back several months earlier than the doctors had recommended?
I hope she continues her recovery and regains her health. After what she's been through, it's almost heroic that she's skating at all.
Rave

Ximena

Final Flight
Irina is my favorite lady skater and I'm soo happy she is back. I can't wait to see her Marshalls performance because it sounds great. I hope she gets better and better with her health and her mom's too.
Welcome back Irina!! you for sure was missed!!

Kateri

On the Ice
I'm really happy that Irina is back - so long as she is.

I just have this horrible idea that she might really want to retire and have babies, but is forced into competitions and shows because she needs the money to pay for her and her mother's medical treatment.:(

I really hope this isn't true, and that she is skating purely because she loves to compete.

Either way, I'm happy that she's looking so healthy, considering what she's been through.

All the best to her!

kat

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I think what impressed me about Irina Slutskaya at these Worlds was her obvious love of the sport and competing. She seemed so happy just to be there, even though her performance was not her best. With all her family health problems plus having already won a major title, it would be easy to just pack it in. But she is still here competing and trying her best. Maybe she will be in good enough shape by next year to challenge for a medal in Moscow. I would like to see what sort of program Irina puts together for CoP.

Last edited:
Kateri, I have wondered the same thing. But from all the reports, she skated wonderfully at the Marshall's Skating Challenge, with 6 triples. So I hope that's a sign that her health is back on track so that at least she will have the option of continuing to compete and to tour if she wants to.

Irina is very popular with American audiences on the COI tour.

Mathman

dfj

On the Ice
Other than Plushy's gold medal, Irina's appearance at Worlds was the highlight for me. Still beautiful with her usual spirit. I couldn't care less if she ever reaches the "top" again - I'm happy just to watch her skate. My only concern, as is everyone else's, is her health.

I saw her in Vancouver at Worlds - she was enchanting and actually stayed by the boards during one practice to speak to my little niece who thought she was "pretty". I was pretty impressed with her charm and that smile is something else.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I've always loved Irina's attitude and her personality. She seems peppy and sweet natured. I also love it when her personality seems to come out in her performances...that, more than anything, has made me appreciate her as a skater. Her trip to Dortmund clearly showed that she is in it for more than medals and attention. I hope she is in fighting shape next year.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Much to everyone's surprise, I actually like Irina.;)

I have been a fan when she skated her piano walt SP at the 98 games and I became a bigger fan when the mature Irina skated at 2000 worlds.
I'm glad she's back and I have missed her skating. The skating community missed her personality and care free attitude, most of all her competitive spirit. Her fellow competitiors have shown their love for her by signing a get well card for her.

I just hope she comes back strong for next season and claim her spot and give the kween some tough competition again.

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Our Irina

I am glad she is back, and I am amazed she landed 6 triples at the cheesefest. Maybe her health situation is not nearly as dire as they predicted. She is a plucky lady, gutsy, and I would have been on my feet for her for sure. I figured she'd skate a little more, but not be competitive. 6 triples sure sounds competitive.

2002 was her year, I loved her performances at the Olys and Worlds. Her two biggest achievements and I loved her costume.

You know that clip from 1996 with the blue dress and the red cheeks. She has come a long way. She said she wanted to skate until 2005 and it looks like she will. I am only sorry I have never seen her live.

I was very disapointed when she and Sarah did not show up at my COI stop. Cottoneyed Joe was so fast on TV. How do you think her speed this year compares to the past in person, anyone?

Last edited:

wvgal57

On the Ice
Irina's disease is very serious and there is no cure, just the remedy of control and hopeful remission. Irina will have to be very careful in her training, her competition schedule and lot of other things. She tires easily and is more apt for infection (airplane trips, etc) she must work her training around "mini" sessions rather than her usual one and one half to two hour sessions. She has to try to keep her limbs from becoming too cold and she can't push herself to exhaustion.

Only time will tell about her future but I was so impressed with her spirit and fortitude at Worlds and it sounds like she skated decent at Marshalls - her spins were off and she doesn't have her usual speed and some of the footwork was downgraded ... but she still gave it her all and thats the sign of a true champion.

Irina has found that deep down desire again to simply skate and I really don't care if she ever is able to get her 3/3's back, I tend to think like she does now .. take all the special moments you can cause you don't know how many of them you'll get.

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Yes I'm glad to see her back too!! I've never been a huge Irina fan in terms of her skating, but I love her approach and attitude...she's really refreshing. TBH I thought she was really lucky to get 9th at Worlds. Its not really a reflection of how she skated, but it doesn't even matter. She's back, I hope shes healthy and I wish her all the best!

Vash01

Medalist
Count me in too. I have loved her skating for many years and it was sad to hear of her illness. I hope she remains healthy and competes since that is what she loves to do. Where she places in a competition is relatively less important to me (compared to her health), but I hope she skates great and gets the marks she deserves.

Vash