Straight arms | Golden Skate

Straight arms

guan1963

Rinkside
Always Keeping arms Straight is so diffucult, do you have some exercises for arms working?

Littlerain

Rinkside
I've been told not to have my arms perfectly straight.. However, are you asking what to do so your arms don't feel tired because you have to hold them out frequently?

guan1963

Rinkside
My question is concentrating on feets working, then ignoring to keep arms straight,always... Some special excercises for arms?

Babbette1

On the Ice
My question is concentrating on feets working, then ignoring to keep arms straight,always... Some special excercises for arms?

WEight lifting to build up strength so they don't get tired. Then arm exercises while doing knee bends on a bosu ball (yes i do these). After that, skating with straight arms is a breeze!

Casey

Rinkside
I have thought about buying some of those 2lb soft weights that you strap to your hands and skating with them to build up arm strength. Is it a bad idea or worth a shot? They're not much money...

Littlerain

Rinkside
I sometimes attach mine to my wrists and stand around the house. (When I'm watching tv, etc) I suppose I should do some form of exercise with them but I'm lazy so I just stand there for a bit with my arms out. LOL!

mariajeffery

Spectator
Maybe you try to hold something with hand straight, in order to practice the hand, and to practice the balance of the body also.

Last edited:

sarahspins

Rinkside
I have thought about buying some of those 2lb soft weights that you strap to your hands and skating with them to build up arm strength. Is it a bad idea or worth a shot? They're not much money...

Absolutely - mostly because it gives you the added advantage of being able to extend your hands/fingers as well, rather than becoming using to "clenching" something in your hands while holding up your arms - which is not a particularly good look on the ice :)

They can also be used on the ankles for building strength/endurance for spirals - it's what got me through the preliminary/silver spiral pattern, and I spent a lot of time on and off the ice working on that, but it wasn't until I got the weights that I really started to make progress.

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
my friend's mom used to make her run around holding a gatorade bottle in each hand. works the arm muscles and it's easy to tell when your arms are bent or if they're drooping. good luck!

**this is when my friend and i were 10 years old... might not work if you're an adult skater