Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir/Lipinski take spot as top figure skating commentators at NBC

samson

Medalist
For me, this newsis potentially great for three reasons.

1. Johnny and Tara got tons of buzzduring the Olympics from popular sources like buzzfeed I could imagine the two of them having a larger appeal than Scott and Sandra

2. Terry Gannon YES THANK GOD HE'S BACK AS LEAD!!!!

3. Does this mean we might see competetive Sandra Bezic choreo again?? Only time will tell but that could be FAB

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Two things:

1. Now we know why Bezic is choreographing again... (and I for one can't wait to see how she deals with COP); and
2. They need to bring in Tanith for Ice Dancing; Johnny and Tara's "commentary" was worse than useless here.

1. I loved Sandra's choreo in the day...and her icy commentary bugs me...this is win/win for me!

2. Yes! Yes! yes! Tara and Johnny were worse than useless on dance commentary. There are a number of competent dance commentators - I like Tanith's voice the best, and she's both knowledgeable and gorgeous. If Tanith is viewed as too tied to Zoueva, Susie Wynne is very good, and Judy Blumberg very knowledgeable.

Love Johnny!
Can't stand Tara!
I remember watching Lipnitskaya skate at Skate Canada and Tara commenting. It was horrible!
Instead of talking about the performance that was going on they babbled on about TARA and how she has done all of this and that she talked to this and that person and then, when she finally stopped babbling (partly about herself) after half of the programm was done, she started criticizig the skater, while a flawless skate was delivered?!
Of course she also said some nice things, but nothing that adds something and I just can't stand her talking so much.
Btw, does anybody know who's the female commentator in this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zZof7eL27GA ( 1:20 + 1:43 + 2:20 )
I think this is by far the rudest commentating I've heard, and then in the end she goes "wow what a position" ... "Another "Waxel" (?) .. *laughs*" Seriously?

I hope NBC will be able to cure Tara's habit of talking endlessly about herself. I have hopes -after all, Peggy Fleming was just like that for some time, but eventually got over it.

The woman in the British Eurosport commentary is, I think, Joanne Conway, a former British ladies' champion.

For me, this newsis potentially great for three reasons.

1. Johnny and Tara got tons of buzzduring the Olympics from popular sources like buzzfeed I could imagine the two of them having a larger appeal than Scott and Sandra

2. Terry Gannon YES THANK GOD HE'S BACK AS LEAD!!!!

3. Does this mean we might see competetive Sandra Bezic choreo again?? Only time will tell but that could be FAB

Terry is wonderful, and he has taken the time to become knowledgeable about skating. Cheers for him being back.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm thrilled that Terry will be part of the team. Overall, I enjoyed Tara & Johnny, but I hope that they will bring in someone knowledgeable about Ice Dance - Tanith, please? Tracy Wilson & Suzie Wynne are fine, too!

I admire Scott as a person, for his starting SOI, enthusiasm, but not his screeching. I did enjoy his commentary back in the day when he was paired up with Verne Lundquist (in the 1990's). Glad That Tom Hammond is gone (nothing personal against him, but he should stick to horse racing). He has made so many inane comments that add nothing to understanding the sport during fs comps through the years.

ranjake

Final Flight
I'll see how it goes. I was one of the few that wasn't wild about them, especially Tara. I like Terry Gannon. We shall see!

MasterB

Final Flight
Let the Hunger Games begin. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

Whatever, I don't really care who does the commentating as long as there is skating to go with it. With those two I hope is not about what they are wearing and more about the skating.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Weirinski is a good change, though I can't say I like them very much. I tend to avoid commentary when I can, but I specifically watched the NBC broadcast of Takahashi's NHK SP to hear what Johnny had to say, and the entire. program. he and the other commentator (I forgot who, sorry) just went on and on about contending for medals at Sochi and how he needs to prove himself again after SkAm blah blah blah and nothing about the program at all except a few remarks afterwards about Takahashi achieving a personal best SP and being back in the mix for the Sochi podium. Johnny definitely knows what he's talking about when it comes to the actual skating, but I'd very much like to hear it instead of some useless babble about results I already know.

LRK

Record Breaker
Love Johnny!
Can't stand Tara!
I remember watching Lipnitskaya skate at Skate Canada and Tara commenting. It was horrible!
Instead of talking about the performance that was going on they babbled on about TARA and how she has done all of this and that she talked to this and that person and then, when she finally stopped babbling (partly about herself) after half of the programm was done, she started criticizig the skater, while a flawless skate was delivered?!
Of course she also said some nice things, but nothing that adds something and I just can't stand her talking so much.
I think this is by far the rudest commentating I've heard, and then in the end she goes "wow what a position" ... "Another "Waxel" (?) .. *laughs*" Seriously?

Well, I don't think "Wow, what an amazing position. Fantastic spin to finish on." is rude, but... each to their own, I suppose... ?

As for the "another waxel" thing, I believe there had been others earlier? I think Anna had had one, for example?

Honestly, I've now looked/listened to the entire vid, and I'm afraid I can't find the exceptional rudeness in it... ? Also, I fail to see what it has to do with either Johnny/Tara or Scott/Sandra...

But, ne'er mind. Again, to each their own. (shrug)

starlight97

Final Flight
Also, I fail to see what it has to do with either Johnny/Tara or Scott/Sandra...

But, ne'er mind. Again, to each their own. (shrug)

That, dear LRK, is why I wrote By The Way in front of it ;)
And no matter who had a "Waxel" before her, it's rude to laugh at a 17 year old making a mistake. ...I fail to see the professionalism in this.
But to each their own I suppose. .?

starlight97

Final Flight
I hope NBC will be able to cure Tara's habit of talking endlessly about herself. I have hopes -after all, Peggy Fleming was just like that for some time, but eventually got over it.

The woman in the British Eurosport commentary is, I think, Joanne Conway, a former British ladies' champion.
Thank you very much, I looked her up (Joanne Conway) and I actually knew her face, but would've never recognized the voice :)

LRK

Record Breaker
That, dear LRK, is why I wrote By The Way in front of it ;)
And no matter who had a "Waxel" before her, it's rude to laugh at a 17 year old making a mistake. ...I fail to see the professionalism in this.
But to each their own I suppose. .?

Indeed. It wasn't exactly a belly-laugh, I'd cateogorise it more as a "Oh, dear... " kind of thing. But, yes, if that was what was the rudest thing you'd ever heard, then, indeed, we will have to agree to disagree.

I was puzzled why you'd find a comment about how someone has an "amazing position" - and a "fantastic spin" rude, but since you choose not to comment on that, I'll just assume you just happened to mention that in passing, and had no bearing on the rudeness at all? :)

As for the "by the way", I concede - fair enough.

starlight97

Final Flight
Indeed. It wasn't exactly a belly-laugh, I'd cateogorise it more as a "Oh, dear... " kind of thing. But, yes, if that was what was the rudest thing you'd ever heard, then, indeed, we will have to agree to disagree.

I was puzzled why you'd find a comment about how someone has an "amazing potision" - and a "fantastic spin" rude, but since you choose not to comment on that, I'll just assume you just happened to mention that in passing, and had no bearing on the rudeness at all? :)

As for the "by the way", I concede - fair enough.

I wrote about the amazing spin, to showcase that she was not ALL rude. But 2 people talking in a language that's not their mother tongue (at least not mine) can misunderstand each other.

And no, this is not "the rudest thing that I've ever heard", it's the rudest commenting.
No matter what kind of laugh, you simply Do Not laugh at a mistake if you're a commentator.
But we don't have to go on about this, appearantly I find it inappropriate and you find it ok. Fair enough :)

LRK

Record Breaker
I wrote about the amazing spin, to showcase that she was not ALL rude. But 2 people talking in a language that's not their mother tongue (at least not mine) can misunderstand each other.

And no, this is not "the rudest thing that I've ever heard", it's the rudest commenting.
No matter what kind of laugh, you simply Do Not laugh at a mistake if you're a commentator.
But we don't have to go on about this, appearantly I find it inappropriate and you find it ok. Fair enough :)

Yes. :)

76olympics

On the Ice
I think it was time for the guard to change. I don't have much opinion on Weir/Lipinski because I haven't had much chance to hear them yet. Johnny can get over media focused, but I thought his journal entries on his website (long ago!) were excellent. Age will probably calm him down. Tara wasn't my favorite skater in her era, but she was very determined. EXCITED that Terry Gannon is back in the mix as I always liked him and I think he was a good balance back in the Dick/Peggy era.

If they pull Tanith, Tracy or Suzie in for ice dance, it should be good.

I'll always have an exasperated fondness for Dick Button because he was the voice of the sport when I started to watch and I did agree with many of his opinions (not all). Scott has an inspiring story, but he did talk too much. I try to tune him out when I watch clips like Paul Wylie's 1992 Olympic skates. Sandra Bezic was a thrill kill to me though I love much of her choreography.

(Everyone looks good though IMHO compared to Rosalyn Sumners....)

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wow, this is a nice surprise! Congratulations to Tara & Johnny.
I will miss Sandra, hopefully she will return to choreography as her main focus. I believe she has much to contribute to figure skating artistry and look forward to seeing it again!
Scott was horrible as a commentator and got away with so much bias it was sickening. He must have gone out kicking and screaming regardless of his pc tweets, it is too bad he wasn't as diplomatic with his commentary.
I also like the Tanith suggestion for ice dance.

lavender

Record Breaker
I like Johnny but I could do without Tara.

Can't they import the two male Eurosport commentators. These are my absolute favorites commentators.

I guess I'll just watch online with the Eurosport guys or the ones without commentating from universal sports.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am happy about this change. While I appreciate Scott's enthusiasm, I feel like Johnny and Tara exhibit much more knowledge of the scoring system. Sandra I felt was unusually biased towards Canadian skaters and international skaters who worked with Canadian coaches/choreographers. My hope is that this change wasn't done because NBC expects outrageous behavior from Tara and Johnny to increase viewership.

Alba

Record Breaker
I find Scott super annoying, Sandra is more tolerable, Johnny and Tara are better than the both but American commentary is still on the bottom of my list for commentary I would rather watch. I hope Sandra will do more choreography, I like her better in that role.

I agree with you.

Scott might have had the enthusiasm, but it was too much. He was talking a lot during the skating and I just can't stand that. Not to mention that he often was saying nonsense. He was not even sure if Yagudin had done enough to win in Salt Lake? :laugh:
Furthermore, I would never get over them for Pairs in 2002. :eek:hwell:

I am happy about this change. While I appreciate Scott's enthusiasm, I feel like Johnny and Tara exhibit much more knowledge of the scoring system. Sandra I felt was unusually biased towards Canadian skaters and international skaters who worked with Canadian coaches/choreographers. My hope is that this change wasn't done because NBC expects outrageous behavior from Tara and Johnny to increase viewership.

I like them too. The only thing is they are completely clueless about Ice Dance. :biggrin:

Love Johnny!
Can't stand Tara!

Tbh, I think Tara likes Yulia. She said a lot of good things about her and also that she is the no.1 from the russian ladies.
Yes, she talked about herself but she was asked and I think she wanted to defend more the thing about age.

starlight97

Final Flight
Tbh, I think Tara likes Yulia. She said a lot of good things about her and also that she is the no.1 from the russian ladies.
Yes, she talked about herself but she was asked and I think she wanted to defend more the thing about age.

Sure she likes Yulia! She probably reminisces about her own career when she watches her at the same age.
Tara is cute and yeah, she became Olymp.Champion at 15, but her commentating doesn't add anything to anything except for noise that overshadows the music, to me...

But it's not a problem for me personally, since I agree with all the people here who stated that the EuroSport guys are the best, and I'm preferably watching the videos with their comments anyway

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not unknown for commentators to be unable to keep from laughing.

Here's the Eurosport guys laughing at Charlie White's disastrous 2008 od at COR- and then after the skate, continuing to laugh and talking about laughing...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlczvzn8h_8

If a youngster wants to skate as a senior, she should expect (and hope for) the exact same treatment, both from the judges and commentators as older competitors. She shouldn't expect higher grades and nicer commentary just because she is young.

Nor should she get lower grades for being young and new.

It is important to be fair to all.

RobinA

On the Ice
Much to my surprise (I normally can't stand Tara) I liked Tara and Johnny together. Johnny seems to be intelligent and fairly knowledgable about the sport. I am sure he will develop his knowledge as time goes by. Even Tara seems to be trying. I will miss Scott, but not Sandra. I still miss Carruthers. Suzy can do dance in my opinion, I'm not a Tanith fan.

All that being said, take away any skating commentator who ever lived, but leave me Terry Gannon. The man's voice is figure skating to me. I'm not sure why, since I started watching skating when he was still shooting baskets, but there it is.