Jackson Ultima Marquis or Jackson Ultima Freestyle? | Golden Skate

Jackson Ultima Marquis or Jackson Ultima Freestyle?

ilyden25

Rinkside
Hi, I am a beginner skater from the Philippines.

Can you share some of your insights and help me on the situation. I am fairly a heavy guy (165cm ; 82kg). I really got addicted to skating and i wanted to learn the basics (USFSA basic 1-8) and I'm thinking of purchasing my skate shoes. I've done a fair amount of reading and what i found most helpful is from Kinzie's closet. According to the table in the site, heavy skaters should opt to buy the next higher level boot. I wanted to purchase a boot that i can use for quite sometime and use it at it's outmost capability. Considering my build and size, would you recommend a marquis? or should I go for freestyle? Thanks in advance!!!

PS: Have no coach yet due to lack of funds for one. :D

mskater93

Record Breaker
Trying to keep a boot "for quite some time" is a mistake a lot of beginners make because the right strength boot is going to break down between 3 and 36 months after purchase depending on the amount of usage (elite skaters often go through boots 2-4 times per year at 2-5 hours per day on the ice pounding triples and quads). However, in your case, you are probably better off in the heavier boot. Remember not to over blade (purchase too advanced a blade) for yourself since I believe the Freestyles come separate as that can inhibit your progress and to not tie them all the way to the top hook until they are broken in. Good luck

ilyden25

Rinkside
Thanks for the inputs. I saw a jackson freestyle with an aspire XP blade... do you think this blade could be an overblade for my heavy beginner self?

Babbette1

On the Ice
Thanks for the inputs. I saw a jackson freestyle with an aspire XP blade... do you think this blade could be an overblade for my heavy beginner self?

The Aspire is 'strong enough for single jumps'. The blade below it, the Mirage,is for single jumps too. If the Aspire is stronger you may need that for your weight. I've skated in Mirages, they have tiny picks. Looking at the picture of the Aspire, they don't look much different. Email Jackson and ask. They'll get back to you in a couple of days.

ovaskater

Rinkside
I wouldn't suggest the aspire Xp. I was suggested that blade as a freestyle skater working on double jumps. The only reason I didn't go with them is my coach wanted me in pattern 99s and there was a barely used pair that someone was trying to sell for a nice price available to me. Admittedly, I'm fairly small and light, but I don't think they are necessary or helpful at your level. I don't know if they still have them, the regular ultima aspire blades may be a bit better. Those I used gamma- face 4 in ISI

Littlerain

Rinkside
The Aspire is 'strong enough for single jumps'. The blade below it, the Mirage,is for single jumps too. If the Aspire is stronger you may need that for your weight. I've skated in Mirages, they have tiny picks. Looking at the picture of the Aspire, they don't look much different. Email Jackson and ask. They'll get back to you in a couple of days.

I have the aspire xp and it has a cross cut toe pick - the guys at rainbo told me it would be a suitable blade for early freestyle levels. I think that's the blade that comes on the Jackson freestyle? Not totally sure, but it does have a larger toe pick than the other boot/blade sets

concorde

Medalist
Make sure the soles on the boot are leather! I know that Freestyle sole is leather but not sure about Marquis - my guess is they are not.

Why? If you do not get boots with leather soles, you cannot adjust the blade. So if the factory set the blades and they are a bit off for your body and your boots have plastic soles, then you are stuck with either dealing the blades as they are or buying new skates.

Today I was in the proshop getting my daughter skates adjusted and a young man (~25 years old) came in with skates he wanted adjusted. The pro said - sorry - the soles are plastic so I cannot adjust them. So the guy is now stuck buying new skates.

ilyden25

Rinkside
I finally found the courage (and money) to hire a coach for my basic training. I am starting next this saturday and im pretty much excited. I also had inquired at the local rink shop on regarding the boots. They say i can still go with the marquis for basic training. So I ended up in marquis which i'm finding very very different compared to those rental boots (in a very good way). Though i often get "toe-picked" and slamming on the ice, i still love the feeling of these boots on my feet. As i am starting this coming saturday im both thrilled and excited. I wish i had started when i was younger. :D