What happened to Christopher Caluza (PHI)? | Golden Skate

What happened to Christopher Caluza (PHI)?

o-aunt

Spectator
Does anybody know? I am wondering because he was doing great last year, and then, the next thing, seemed like the country picked Michael Christian Martinez as their man, and I don't see Chris' name anywhere this season. :confused:

gammarae

Rinkside
Ah, Caluza! He did such a good program one year at the 4 Continents in Colorado Springs that there was a standing ovation when he came into the breakfast room of our little hotel the next morning. Nice young man as well. What ever he does, I wish him all the best.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
He did compete last season, IIRC, but his country sent Michael Christian Martinez to Sochi instead of him.

cooper

Medalist
He did compete last season, IIRC, but his country sent Michael Christian Martinez to Sochi instead of him.

which was a good decision.. michael is not only a homegrown talent.. he has more potential because he's younger and i like him better than caluza..and not to mention michael is humble..

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I like Chris' artistic skating. I also like that our tropical country has more than one male skater who can compete at the top skating competitions. By their respective performances at Olympics and Worlds, both Michael and Chris have done themselves and our country proud. Both of them should continue to work hard to improve their skating (and ranking).

OMGFS

Rinkside
I've seen him and Michael compete, but idk why compare? They both have qualities. They are both humble. The only thing that bothers me is that, Chris has done great things first and was never respected. There is a rumor that he might be leaving this sport forever because of how he was treated. No sponsors, no support, all his family. Which is sad.

An inspiring interview http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/2014/05/interview-with-christopher-caluza.html

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I do feel badly for Chris, who has worked hard without getting anywhere near the attention of Michael...not that it's Michael's fault, of course. I hope he can find a way to continue. Both of them are talented, and I don't like the idea that just because someone younger comes along that another "old" skater must be put out to pasture (he's only 24 for goodness' sake!). And what does being humble have to do with their skating ability?

OMGFS

Rinkside
Exactly. I mean Plushenko is in his 30's now and he is still able to skate. And what I like about Chris is that he went through what was unfair to him, and kept it to himself for a while.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I do feel badly for Chris, who has worked hard without getting anywhere near the attention of Michael...not that it's Michael's fault, of course. I hope he can find a way to continue. Both of them are talented, and I don't like the idea that just because someone younger comes along that another "old" skater must be put out to pasture (he's only 24 for goodness' sake!). And what does being humble have to do with their skating ability?

This :thumbsup:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think he is finished yet. Maybe one day the Philipines will be like Fernandez for Spainbut with either skater they are still in their infancy of being competitive and I hope they can encourage both skaters(though I wonder if these are truly born and raised Filipino skaters or the "i couldn't make it in a competitive skating country so I go skate for a non competitive country where hopefully I have some kind of remote tie). I hope both skaters cna be encouraged; besides neither oneis clearly better than theother - yet.

OMGFS

Rinkside
So far, The times Michael, Maverick and Chris compete against each other

2012 Philippine Nationals
Caluza 1st
Eguia 2nd
Martinez 3rd

2013 Four Continents Japan
Caluza 14th
Martinez 16th

2013 US International Classic (before Nebelhorn)
Caluza 5th (looked stronger than ever)
Martinez 6th (very improved artistry and speed)

2013 Philippine Nationals
Caluza 1st (was not the best nationals for him because of the whole drama)
Martinez WD
Eguia WD

2014 Four Continents Taiwan
Caluza 12 (Big ISU score improvement)
Eguia 24th (his placement improved from 2012)
Martinez WD (why for withdrawing)

I hope he doesn't live with regret. It's sad to hear rumors that he may be quitting. They all got what they deserve. I just pray they all had fair treatments because they all have a lot to offer for team Philippines.

TheCzar

On the Ice
So far I see a lot more potential in Michael, especially since he is younger and he has the talent and fortune of having the spotlight and momentum coming off of Sochi. It's not at all to discredit Chris because he's a decent skater. Good- but he's had a few years in the senior circuit without improving his ranking. It's probably going to take a couple of years for Michael to be in the conversation for the possibility of getting on an ISU podium (I mean he has this season to work) but I find it more of a possibility for him at this point.

OMGFS

Rinkside
So far I see a lot more potential in Michael, especially since he is younger and he has the talent and fortune of having the spotlight and momentum coming off of Sochi. It's not at all to discredit Chris because he's a decent skater. Good- but he's had a few years in the senior circuit without improving his ranking. It's probably going to take a couple of years for Michael to be in the conversation for the possibility of getting on an ISU podium (I mean he has this season to work) but I find it more of a possibility for him at this point.

In my opinion, age is all but a number. It doesn't matter. This is a sport after all.

World Rankings for Chris didn't change because he never competed more Senior B's. And what does ranking have to do with skating. Not all the skaters who are the highest rankings in the world are always the best in the world.

Michael was able to go to more competitions than Chris. I wonder why Chris never bothered to enter more competitions. To my guess, it's expensive because of lack of support.

His ranking in competitions did improve during the Olympic season, as well as Michael who got the first ISU JGP medal for Philippines.

And if Chris did come back and compete, and he beats Michael again, is that really something to say that both of them are equal competition? Or, do we really need to make predictions based on how we feel? I rather let their skating do the talking.

cjmorton29

Rinkside
From his twitter it seems that he is still training, creating programs, and keeping up his abilities. Whether or not he continues to compete, it sounds that he is definitely continuing to be involved in the skating world, and that is what will probably ultimately be the most important for skating in the Philippines.

OMGFS

Rinkside
I agree ^^ His Instagram shows that he seems happy at where he is. Apparently he love food too.

I hear he choreographs his own programs. And before Four Continents, he changed his program from jazzy music to piano. Sounds impressive but hard to believe though. Because how can a skater not have a choreographer?