Volosozhar / Trankov Out of Grand Prix Series? | Golden Skate

Volosozhar / Trankov Out of Grand Prix Series?

anyanka

Record Breaker
International Figure Skating posted this item in a Facebook post, in the same post confirming Bobrova & Soloviev's missing the series:

"According to an article that came in via a Sochi 2014 alert, Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov are also withdrawing. He has an injury and said that Europeans would likely be their first competition."

There's also this post on a Tumblr dedicated to the pair: http://volosozhartrankov.tumblr.com/post/98120812422/really-bad-news-they-will-not-take-part-in-gp

Can anyone else confirm this? Perhaps on a Russian page or media?

HermioneG

On the Ice
I think the soutce of this is this article http://sochi.com/news/?id=61600
Most part of it is about skating school in Sochi, but there is also such words from Maxim
Мы готовимся выступать во второй половине сезона. У меня проблемы со здоровьем, я надеюсь восстановиться за этот период. Следующие соревнования? Скорее всего – это будет Европа.
"We are prepearing to compete in the second half of the season. I have health problems, I hope to recover in this period. Next competition? Most of all it will be European championship".
Also Elena Vaitsekovskaya (russian sport journalist) wrote in her blog that according her sources, VT will withdraw from GP and that doctors said Maxim need a month for heal his shoulder.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The only news I could find is that they opened a FS school in Sochi named after them. Hope that the GP one is a hoax...well, after reading the interview have to confirm that he did say "we will perform in the second half of season". So that the news may be real.

anyanka

Record Breaker
So they finally opened that FS school in Sochi like they wanted? That's great! :clap:

Otherwise - yes, no word yet. Does anyone perhaps follow them on VKontakte (I tried looking but I can barely read Cyrillic ...) who can find out more?

borzaya

Final Flight
As far as I know, there is still no official news or announcements (except for that interview from Sochi). But if Max says so, it seems very likely that they are really skipping the Grand Prix... :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Volosozhar/Trankov will not decide until early October whether to compete in their GP events -- according to this Russian article today. The article quotes what Mozer said at a press conference at Nebelhorn today.

Волосожар/Траньков решат, участвовать ли в Гран-при, в начале октября - тренер
23:05 24.09.2014 (обновлено в 23:07 24.09.2014)
Автор: Андрей Симоненко / Р-Спорт
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140924/775234844.html

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Volosozhar/Trankov will not decide until early October whether to compete in their GP events -- according to this Russian article today. The article quotes what Mozer said at a press conference at Nebelhorn today.

Волосожар/Траньков решат, участвовать ли в Гран-при, в начале октября - тренер
23:05 24.09.2014 (обновлено в 23:07 24.09.2014)
Автор: Андрей Симоненко / Р-Спорт
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140924/775234844.html

I know their presence at their events are pivotal to tickets/fan enjoyment, but this seems a bit unfair to the skaters who could be taking their place. I would hope they decided sooner than later, but of course, I would love to see them on the GP.

If they're not on the GP though, it certainly makes things interesting for all the other teams vying for golds/podium finishes.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Just spoke to Nina an hour ago and yes, they don't know yet if he can skate or not. Its not that they don't want to tell, its just that they cant right now.

Amei

Record Breaker
I know their presence at their events are pivotal to tickets/fan enjoyment, but this seems a bit unfair to the skaters who could be taking their place. I would hope they decided sooner than later

Well originally it was reported that he needed another month for his shoulder to heal - well Skate America isn't until the end of October - about a month away and it's not like V/T are new skaters that aren't well-practiced in their moves. So if in a week or 2 they find out his shoulder is healing well enough to skate, they may not withdraw.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well originally it was reported that he needed another month for his shoulder to heal - well Skate America isn't until the end of October - about a month away and it's not like V/T are new skaters that aren't well-practiced in their moves. So if in a week or 2 they find out his shoulder is healing well enough to skate, they may not withdraw.

@LynnRutherford
.@KrKany2 talked to Nina Mozer at Nebelhorn. She says Trankov shoulder healing & he & @tati_firebird are training. Another exam in 2 weeks.
12:54 PM - 24 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/514865560778469377 (emphasis added)​

noskates

Record Breaker
You wonder at his age if his shoulder will heal significantly to return to their skill at the Olympics. Shoulder problems in pairs skaters equals disaster.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is confirmed that they are going to skip Grand Prix series due to Max's problems with his shoulder - http://fsrussia.ru/news/307-tatyana-volosozhar-masksim-trankov-propustyat-etapy-gran-pri.html

IceNetwork confirms they are out of Skate America and Cup of China. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/10/01/97197872

The confirmation is directly from the Russian federation -- at the link in borzaya's post.

And Volosozhar/Trankov's names have been crossed of the official ISU GP chart.

IN's "confirmation" is nothing more than secondary reporting of what the Russian fed announced.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
There's an unofficial information that Max may need a surgery on his shoulder.

Edit: actually it's official. He will have surgery on his shoulder.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we just cancel the Pairs events this season? Even before the injuries it was looking pretty weak especially with all the breakups but now it's just looks sad.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
There's an unofficial information that Max may need a surgery on his shoulder.

Edit: actually it's official. He will have surgery on his shoulder.

Ugh!! So hugely disappointed. Star power is BADLY needed in Pairs. They will be sorely missed on the Grand Prix. Heal well Max!

anyanka

Record Breaker
They are still competing??!

Yup, they announced that they intend to stay to 2018. Whether they do is up to them. They've won everything they possibly could, including not one but two OGs on home soil in front of ecstatic crowds. If they leave, there will be a lack of star power in the field for the moment, but no lack of talent in the deep Russian pairs reserves.