Volosozhar / Trankov Out of Grand Prix Series? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Volosozhar / Trankov Out of Grand Prix Series?

Matt K

On the Ice
Yup, they announced that they intend to stay to 2018. Whether they do is up to them. They've won everything they possibly could, including not one but two OGs on home soil in front of ecstatic crowds. If they leave, there will be a lack of star power in the field for the moment, but no lack of talent in the deep Russian pairs reserves.

I was going to post something about them but feel it is better I not. :slink:

I like K/S's programs though.

Amei

Record Breaker
I am at the same Sochi lounge with them right now. But guess I am too shy to come up with direct questions.

Ask Max what he's gonna do with his hair before they start competing at Euro's, since every year his hair always seems to be a different style :biggrin:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Ask Max what he's gonna do with his hair before they start competing at Euro's, since every year his hair always seems to be a different style :biggrin:

We need pink hair! It will be hilarious. :biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
team Russia looks pretty depleted in pairs now. That leaves one medal threatening team and a bunch of question marks with K and S struggling with jumps and improvement and the other teams split and new formations, the upcoming juniors not ready. What a great time for USA, Canada and Italy - oh wait they two have their splits and re inventions.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
team Russia looks pretty depleted in pairs now. That leaves one medal threatening team and a bunch of question marks with K and S struggling with jumps and improvement and the other teams split and new formations, the upcoming juniors not ready. What a great time for USA, Canada and Italy - oh wait they two have their splits and re inventions.

Hey, they're just skipping GPS. They will be back at Worlds. At least they're planning to.

s_parks

Record Breaker

I don't think it's that dire. S/K are fairly young, Tarasova/Morozov are young as well, and look quite promising. Yes, there have been a bunch of splits, but there's bound to be a decent team among those. I agree US and Canada(except for D/R, but they aren't exactly young) aren't doing too hot- they're even worse off, and Italy isn't even as deep as those two, nevermind Russia. I think China is poised to be a threat. Peng/Zhang won't last past 2018, but Sui/Han and Yu/Jin are already at a quite high level and are the youngest of the top contending pairs. Forget US and Canada(not literally, I'd never actually count anyone out, especially in figure skating), China may be a bigger "threat" to Russia.
Edit: Oh yeah, and V/T aren't retiring yet, they're just not going to be at gp. Russia is far from hitting the panic button in pairs.

LRK

Record Breaker
Kavaguti/Smirnov did really well at Nebelhorn, didn't they?

And if Russia is supposedly badly off in pairs - what then of basically everyone else?!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Kavaguti/Smirnov did really well at Nebelhorn, didn't they?

And if Russia is supposedly badly off in pairs - what then of basically everyone else?!
They should all just retire already so they don't embarrass themselves. :rolleye: :laugh:

Seriously though, I like the way China looks right now. Even with Pang/Tong's retirement, they seem to have a lot of talent coming up. I hope we'll finally get a Russian pair vs. Chinese pair showdown in 2018 :popcorn:. It somehow didn't pan out for the past three Olympics, despite signs pointing that way.

LRK

Record Breaker
They should all just retire already so they don't embarrass themselves. :rolleye: :laugh:

Seriously though, I like the way China looks right now. Even with Pang/Tong's retirement, they seem to have a lot of talent coming up. I hope we'll finally get a Russian pair vs. Chinese pair showdown in 2018 :popcorn:. It somehow didn't pan out for the past three Olympics, despite signs pointing that way.

China was the main reason I said "basically". :) Other countries may have a good pair or two, but, outside of China, I don't think anyone else has the depth Russia has. There's still going to be some fight over those 3 Euros and Worlds' spots. So, if Russia is in dire straits.... (sighs deeply) I would feel the sort of "what's the point?" grey dull despair one feels after having read a particularly depressing Thomas Hardy novel coming on...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh, I totally agree with you. If Russia's somehow in "trouble," then everyone else sans China should just go hang up their skates. :p

Also, the Russian pairs don't necessarily need to be good. They just need to be better than everyone else. The judges aren't going to say, "Y'all stink, no medals for anyone until Trankov heals!"