Cost, travel, time no object for one passionate skating fan | Golden Skate

Cost, travel, time no object for one passionate skating fan

delray1977

Rinkside
lucky girl that Mori is. Since I live in Boston, I could only afford the last nationals. I am saving up for one of the next worlds that is in Boston. Actually the ladies free tickets I had were a Christmas gift from my sister.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How nice for her.

But I always resent the implication that those who have the money to travel to every Grand Prix, or have the money to buy endless piles of merchandise, are somehow better or more passionate fans than those who will never have the money for such things.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. That's amazing! Reminds me of some Hanson fans who've been to 50+ concerts.

I can't do all of what she does cause I'm a full-time college student, a college cheerleader, some flights are too expensive, it wouldn't feel right to go to like Japan for only 2 or 3 days, and international flights are even more expensive.

I feel lucky that I'm able to go to Skate America this year and that I saw a Stars on Ice show 5 1/2 months ago.

I'm going to try to save my parents some money by not asking for a lot for birthdays and holidays so I can POSSIBLY go to Worlds in 2016.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
^I hope that's not the implication. I've never seen a international competition in real life, because I live in Denmark and am a poor student, but I do not mind staying up to 4 AM to watch Worlds og US Nats on streams.

Though, I can't say I'm not jealous of "Mori" :biggrin:
Here's hoping I win the lottery soon...

delray1977

Rinkside
The passionate fans should be the ones (like me)who get up at 4am to watch a competition on the internet.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The passionate fans should be the ones (like me)who get up at 4am to watch a competition on the internet.

I think passion is shown in its own ways. Being Australian I regularly have to get up at stupid o'clock to watch skating. But I have responsibilities. I am not going to get up to watch the start of the Nebelhorn trophy because I have to work the next day. But you can bet I will be scouring the internet as soon as I get a free moment for videos and reports and photos and tweets and everything else I can get my hands on to find out how Jason did and how the Australians did.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
The fact that she's been able to attend so many events in her own country is just astonishing, considering how big the sport is in the country. It's a frustrating and difficult process to get tickets in Japan for ice shows and competitions, so I admire her for going through all of that. Passionate fan she is.

Someday I'd like to spend a season traveling abroad for GP events. That would be the best kind of round-the-world trip for me. :biggrin:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I bet she does that too....! o_O

I don't think I'd go to that many competitions even if I had the time and the money... too old for that haha.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Wow! That's dedication.
What we don't know is how much she must sacrifice and save up to go to these events. It is not easy.
I wish I could do the same but I'm afraid of traveling alone not to mention the expense!
Someone like that should write a blog for Japan Times about her personal experience at these shows. I'd like to read something along those lines.

Alba

Record Breaker
Now that's a job I would like to have. Plenty of time and money. :rock: :biggrin:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Hmm..I only visited COR and Worlds 2011, which were also in Russia:rolleye:
But I watch everything grand on internet! And I do think that I'm quite passionate:)

desertskates

Medalist
How very fortunate for her! Says the lady who banks extra spending cash and walks neighbors' dogs for $ in hopes of making it to Pyeongchang :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She must have a lot of vacation time or travels really efficiently! (a lot of long weekends). And yeah also a heck of a saver.

It's really expensive to fly within the U.S. right now. When I went to Boston for Nationals, my husband and I ended up spending about $3,500 -- we got a good deal on flight/hotel ($1,700), we opted for mid-range seats for $700 a pop ($1,400). Plus food, subway pass and other incidental expenses.

Going to Skate America in 2012 was much more cheaper since it was in the Seattle area and I live 2.5 hours from Seattle.

I'm looking into Worlds 2016 cause Boston is great, but some posters (ahem TMC :) ) are making a case I should save money for 2017 in Helsinki instead.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She must have a lot of vacation time or travels really efficiently! (a lot of long weekends). And yeah also a heck of a saver.

It's really expensive to fly within the U.S. right now. When I went to Boston for Nationals, my husband and I ended up spending about $3,500 -- we got a good deal on flight/hotel ($1,700), we opted for mid-range seats for $700 a pop ($1,400). Plus food, subway pass and other incidental expenses.

Going to Skate America in 2012 was much more cheaper since it was in the Seattle area and I live 2.5 hours from Seattle.

I'm looking into Worlds 2016 cause Boston is great, but some posters (ahem TMC :) ) are making a case I should save money for 2017 in Helsinki instead.

I'm planning to go to Worlds 2016 too. However, since I'm a full time college student, it's going to be really hard. Plus I'm a college cheerleader. And I still live at home. Plus I don't drive.

Luckily Boston is only an 1.5 hour plane ride from the nearest airport from me. But I won't find out what the 2016 spring semester classes will be like until October of 2015. And I don't know when the schedule will come out because the event I want to go and see the most is the mens events. Hopefully by then my parents will let me travel by myself. Because when Worlds 2016 will happen I will be less than 3 months away from my 21st birthday.

Kayak.com can have good deals.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think passion is shown in its own ways. Being Australian I regularly have to get up at stupid o'clock to watch skating. But I have responsibilities. I am not going to get up to watch the start of the Nebelhorn trophy because I have to work the next day. But you can bet I will be scouring the internet as soon as I get a free moment for videos and reports and photos and tweets and everything else I can get my hands on to find out how Jason did and how the Australians did.

Almost spilled a cup of coffee LOLing @ "stupid o'clock" -- thanks for the giggle! :clap:

IMO, just about anyone posting here on GS could be considered a passionate fan of the sport. Some more so than others, but I think we pretty much all qualify in varying degrees.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh gosh, she's is quite the passionate fan. I don't even want to think about how much she spends, let alone the body strain of flying frequently. Gee, even I feel exhausted in an 1-2 hour flight. Kudos to her for keeping up with her finances too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh gosh, she's is quite the passionate fan. I don't even want to think about how much she spends, let alone the body strain of flying frequently. Gee, even I feel exhausted in an 1-2 hour flight. Kudos to her for keeping up with her finances too.

How hard can it be when you're still living with mummy and daddy who are paying all the bills?

If I still lived at home I could probably afford a lot of overseas trips too.