2014-2015 GP Predictions game | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GP Predictions game

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P!!!! You're usually so nice but that is just harsh! "No knowledge" :slink:

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm just joking of course :biggrin: I think lack of bias plays a factor and is very important too. I couldn't bring myself to not put Yulia first in all of her events. No point is worth that sacrifice. You gotta believe!! This is why I've lost every fantasy football league or bracket I ever joined :bang:

True story: I had a co-worker who won my NCAA's office pool despite not really watching any college basketball whatsoever. Her strategy: picking teams based on who had better uniforms.

I kid you not. This strategy help her win $150. Not bad.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
That's a really good point! I find predicting 3rd place can be hard for some events because there's easily any number of skaters who could end up there.

For example at Skate America men's field. Machida and Ten, IN THEORY, look good for 1st and Second. But 3rd place, IMO can be one of: Jason Brown, Jeremy Abbott or even Nam Nguyen, Artur Gachinski or Adian Pitkeev. What order would you put those five guys in?

And Ten isn't the most consistent skater either, so I think 2-7 could be in any order really.

Jason will probably round out the top 3. After that I'd say Jeremy, Artur, Adian, Nam. Artur hasn't competed internationally for awhile, so I don't expect him to be 100% "on" (but I'd love it if he was). Adian and Nam are wild cards & I suppose much depends on whether or not they attempt the quad.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm not sure... Predicting who will place 1st in not necessarily more difficult than predicting who will place 5th; I would even say that in many cases predicting 1st place is easier than predicting lower placements, especially in Ice Dancing and Pairs (we all know for example that Volosozhar/Trankov or Cappellini/Lanotte will 99% win their events)... What do others think?

I don't think I agree either that guessing first is somehow more difficult than lower placements. Men, especially, are nearly (nearly) all wild cards. You can't predict how they will do from SP to LP sometimes - let alone from one competition to another!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, apologies for not spotting this thread until now. I had been avoiding most of the forum until I had finished catching up on the Ladies competition at the Nebelhorn.

Mrs. P, it looks like you have fallen into the same trap as I did last season! I started the discussion about having a Predictions Game, and all of a sudden found myself to be the one organising it! :laugh: :p

After the problems we had last season, I was hoping somebody else would volunteer to run the Game this season. And I am so glad that you are the person that has stepped forwards. From my experience of working with you on the Games last season, I know you will make a great co-ordinator.

As for the scoring, I would warn against making it too complicated. I only did scoring on a few competitions last season. But, from those, I can tell you that it is more time consuming than most members would imagine, and it also very easy to make mistakes.

So, if it is like that for Tulosai's scoring system, I would dread to think what it would be like for something more complicated. :eek:

Personally, I would stick with Tulosai's scoring system.

But, whatever rules we go with, I'm really looking forward to playing again!

All the best with the 2015 Predictions Game

CaroLiza_fan

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Late reply, but yes, I'd be glad to help you out Mrs.P if some of the scorers don't have the time! I could also check some of the results (although usually those participating find the mistakes too). Again, thanks a lot for organizing it :)

And I'd say tulosais scoring system was pretty much perfect too. Better stick to that.

tulosai

Record Breaker
So where are we supposed to make our predictions? Here or somewhere else? I think Skate america is close enough now that some people may want to start doing so?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It will be on a thread on the GP forum. Give me a day or two to get everything together.

Skategmt

On the Ice
Id absolutely love to play! Im a bit confused on how to play and how it works. If someone could explain it a little bit to me that would be super appreciated!

guenever

Rinkside
I'll step in as a sub/pinch hitter if needed!

Of the two scoring systems suggested I prefer Tulosai's; first because I don't think guessing first place is that much harder than guessing anything else and second because it's a lot less complicated for the scorers.

LRK

Record Breaker
Id absolutely love to play! Im a bit confused on how to play and how it works. If someone could explain it a little bit to me that would be super appreciated!

Well, last year you guessed each top six placements in each discipline - five would count; the sixth was an "extra" in case any of the above withdrew. It was easy - why, even I could do it. ;) The scoring, however, I'll leave someone else to explain that. :)

Skategmt

On the Ice
Well, last year you guessed each top six placements in each discipline - five would count; the sixth was an "extra" in case any of the above withdrew. It was easy - why, even I could do it. ;) The scoring, however, I'll leave someone else to explain that. :)

OK that sounds more simple than I thought it would be! Hopefully I'll understand the scoring!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi everyone, if you want an idea of the rules, please check out the link to tulosai's version in the original post.

I promise I will have something up soon!

rosacotton

Final Flight
Thank you so much, Mrs. P, for taking on the predictions game this year! And I'm willing to be a sub if you still need them!:biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
guenever and rosacotton, I will have you guys in as subs! (I believe you both have scored previously, yes?) Thank you so much.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the scoring system. The general consensus is to keep it as is, and I agree.

alebi

Medalist
This game is the reason why I signed up so I'm looking forward to this year's game :) In the meanwhile I wanna thank you again for the hard work you did in the past and I'm sure you all will do another great job again :)

TMC

Record Breaker
I've done my predictions but I'm pretty sure I have some in there that have in fact withdrawn and some that are still TBD but should have names by now... I can't find the current entries easily anywhere... Could we pin a post somewhere with all the current GP entries, and that list could then be updated as things change?

Skategmt

On the Ice
I've done my predictions but I'm pretty sure I have some in there that have in fact withdrawn and some that are still TBD but should have names by now... I can't find the current entries easily anywhere... Could we pin a post somewhere with all the current GP entries, and that list could then be updated as things change?

What a good idea! Where should we post our picks, on this thread or on a desperate thread?