Elite figure skaters that play ice hockey? | Golden Skate

Elite figure skaters that play ice hockey?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Which elite figure skaters are also amateur ice hockey players? Nancy Kerrigan is the only one that I know of.

southwest wind

Rinkside
Lloyd Eisler for many years
Kurt Browning as a kid
David Pelletier

I have seen Elvis S and Alexie Y playing during fluff pieces on TV.

lulu

Final Flight
Nancy Kerrigan played hockey?! You learn something new everyday;)

Actually lot of skaters either have hockey backgrounds, or casually play hockey on the SOI or COI tour.

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
Yes as Lulu says a lot of skaters play hockey on tours, I have a pic of Elvis, Arthur, Evgeni, Peter, Michael, Viktor and the acrobat guy playing hockey

Kateri

On the Ice
I think Sasha Abt has played hockey...and there was that cute quote in his interview, when he was asked if he could have his career over again, would he change anything - he said he'd have been a hockey player!!

I'm glad he didn't, at least.

k.;)

lulu

Final Flight
Yeah, I remember that interview with Sasha-and I'm very glad that he decided to keep to skating.:love: I really can't imagine as a hockey player anyway ;)

Artur Dmitriev also played hockey. I remember an interview with him saying he would rather be a hockey player at first, but his family wanted him to be a skater because it was THE sport in the USSR. Like Sasha, I'm very glad that he stuck to skating. And maybe he originially didn't want to be a skater-but watching his passion on the ice, I say few can deny that he loves the sport of ice skating. :love:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
lulu said:
Nancy Kerrigan played hockey?! You learn something new everyday;)
They did a fluff piece on Nancy at the 1992 Olympics and mentioned it. They even showed a clip of her playing hockey. She said that ice hockey was actually her first love, but "they didn't have girls' teams back then."

lulu

Final Flight
Ogre Mage said:
They did a fluff piece on Nancy at the 1992 Olympics and mentioned it. They even showed a clip of her playing hockey. She said that ice hockey was actually her first love, but "they didn't have girls' teams back then."

Thanks. Now maybe she and Tonya can go head to head in a hockey face off. :p

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Hockey

I know that after the 98 Olympics, Ilia Kulik was pleased that he could finally get some new hockey equipment and use it at his rink in LA - he hadn't been allowed while in training.

soogar

Record Breaker
Nancy Kerrigan only figure skated b/c her mother wanted her to do a more feminine sport. I hate Nancy's skating but she was quite an athlete and I could totally see her kicking some a$$ at the rink.