Beginner skate recommendations | Golden Skate

Beginner skate recommendations

Marutain

Spectator
Hey, I need some help with choosing the right skates. I'm at a beginner level and I'm not planning to become really good, although I do want to learn some basic tricks, not taking any lessons either. I have pretty narow feet, but a really big shoe size (I'm 1,93m ^^"). I strongly prefer black skates. I don't want to spend too much money on them, I'd say 150 euro's is kind of the max... Thanks in advance ^^

concorde

Medalist
Get boots that have leather uppers and leader soles. If you get boots with plastic soles, the blades cannot be adjusted.

I would try to purchase as a set meaning both boots and blades.

sneakypie

Rinkside
When buying skates for the first time (especially if you don't have a coach to ask for advice) a good pro shop is the best place to start. If you don't know one try asking at your local rink or even in the forum (since you use euros I guess you are in Europe, so I'm not sure there are people from your area here but it's worth a try).
If a pro shop is not an option or you want to inform yourself beforhand https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html is a good resource to judge the stiffness rating your boots will need. https://www.kinziescloset.com/How_to_Measure_the_Foot.html tells you how to measure your feet and the site also has sizing charts for all major brands, so you can check which one will fit your feet best.
Also if you want to learn tricks please think about taking at least a group lesson, because if you teach yourself the basics wrong it will take forever to unlearn and since you can't see yourself you will often not even know you are doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marutain

Spectator
Hey, tnx ^^ I'd seen kinziescloset before already, really helpful. I don't really want to take group lessons immediately, want to learn some basics first, too embarrassing otherwise ^^". I probably won't be trying any spins or jumps soon, so that's fine right? They have mostly Risport skates here, which I think is no problem at all, since they're good for narrow feet, right? I think I'll either go for the Rf Light or the Rf 4. The Rf light is the new version of the other, right? Does it matter which one I get? The Rf 4 is on sale right now, so It's probably 60 euros cheaper than the other...

concorde

Medalist
Riedells tend to work better for narrow feet; Jacksons tend to work better for wide feet.

I thought Risport was made by the same company as Jacksons.

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside
Risport is Italian if I recall correctly and certainly not owned by Jackson.
Jackson owns GAM.
I agree Riedells do work better for narrow feet but may not be as popular / readily available where Maurtain is.

Boots are rated based on skill level as you already know; however that needs to be tempered to height / weight. So obviously an entry level boot/blade would not be sufficient (would be broken down very quickly) but a boot/blade probably rated for higher singles/low doubles would be better for Maurtain's height/weight.

(I've had to educate myself somewhat to know what there is out there as my child has gone through boot issues a few years ago and finally in something that is suitable for their foot and skill level).