Patrick Chan will Come Back for 2015-2016 Season | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan will Come Back for 2015-2016 Season

Meoima

Match Penalty
From IFS Magazine:

Patrick Chan plans to return to the competitive figure skating circuit for the 2015-2016 season.
He has been working on a new free program, choreographed by David Wilson to a Chopin medley. Chan will compete at the Japan Open later this week. He is also slated to perform at An Evening with Scott Hamilton & Friends and SKATEMANIA in Quebec City.
Although eligible, he has declined Sport Canada and Own the Podium funding, allowing several other athletes to benefit from the financial assistance.
Hurray for PChiddy!! :yay: I can't wait to see his new programs!

Not a fan of David Wilson, but his style suits PChiddy well. :love:

He even declined the funding from Sport Canada, just like Tessa and Scott did. How thoughtful of him! :)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Great to hear!
Hopefully injury doesn't sideline him.
We'll see how the field builds technically and if he can keep up.
As for funding, it makes sense to decline it at this point, but bills do have to be paid and he likely has enough in skating appearance money to cover the costs.
And if anyone talks about his age by 2018 (27), I say: Plushenko very nearly won gold at the same age, back in 2010.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Great news and 27 is not too old to compete at another Olympics, especially if he stays injury-free.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I hope that he will not push himself too hard and will remain injury free, I look forward to seeing his new programs, I hope that he'll be more relaxed now and not be under so much pressure all the time

noskates

Record Breaker
Okay - this really made me smile. Patrick is still young and in good health and it made me sad that he stopped competing. I still think when Patrick is "on" he's the whole package and difficult to beat. I love watching him skate but I almost feel like this past season he sort of lost his self-confidence. I sure wish he'd get a skating coach....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
“My goal is to return to a full competitive schedule after this year ...” is an exact quote from Chan from today's press release from Skate Canada. (Emphases added.)

The full press release is here:

Also notable:

... the seven-time Canadian men’s champion has developed a new free program, although he doesn’t plan to unveil it in international competition until next year’s ISU Grand Prix season.

"His main training base continues to be in Detroit and he is working with Kathy Johnson. "

Thx for the thread, Meoima.

supsu

On the Ice
:love:

This made my day! I just love his style and skating flow. He never steps out of the program or takes breaks of any sort. Great for the competition even if he wouldn't never win anything.

Also i wonder if he's been pressured by Canada a little since they don't seem to have a guy stepping up after him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What do you mean he declined the funding from SC? Why?

Because Virtue/Moir and Chan are not competing this season, they declined funding from Skate Canada and Own the Podium. The funds they declined are helping other skaters. :)

When they resume competing, my expectation is that they once again will accept funding.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's Chantastic news! :biggrin:

I also think this will be great for the field to have somebody like Chan in the mix, and setting the bar high. Not that Hanyu needs motivation, but I think Chan's presence will develop Hanyu's artistic abilities that much more.

Alba

Record Breaker
Because Virtue/Moir and Chan are not competing this season, they declined funding from Skate Canada and Own the Podium. The funds they declined are helping other skaters. :)

When they resume competing, my expectation is that they once again will accept funding.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info golden. :)
Still, he is training and is going to compete next year. But nevertheless, it's a good gesture.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
His presence will certainly make the field more interesting. And declining his funding was a nice gesture, especially after seeing that documentary where his dad talks about how much the family has to spend every year.

I was never really a fan of him, but over time I've learned to appreciate what he brings to the table. I respect that he actually seems serious about coming back--I thought it was just the usual "I'll consider it" after Sochi, but I've slowly come to believe that he's returning.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
If Patrick is going to hide his new LP until next year's GP, what LP will he skate at JO then. another new LP?:yay:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If Patrick is going to hide his new LP until next year's GP, what LP will he skate at JO then. another new LP?:yay:

Another excerpt from the Skate Canada press release:
Chan’s new free program will be revealed when he competes as part of the North American team at the Japan Open invitational event, to be held in Saitama, Japan later this week.

For the purposes of this release, international competition apparently does not include the Japan Open, as far as Skate Canada is concerned. Apples vs. oranges, compared to ISU Challenger events or GPs, I guess.

Esopian

Final Flight
:popcorn:

Are we in for a Hanyu-Chan rivalry?

Either way with this news, the competitive figure skating field becomes a lot more interesting and exciting this way!! :clap:

Competitions are more fun and entertaining to watch with more than a few strong competitors skating, if Hanyu won everything with no one catching up to him, the competitions would become one-sided and a bit boring. It's better with some anticipation and excitement! :biggrin:

This has been really good news for me.