Patrick Chan will Come Back for 2015-2016 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan will Come Back for 2015-2016 Season

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I'm not a fan, but the return of a skater of his calibre can only be good for the sport.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
What a great news! I am very excited about LP, always wanted to see Patrick in a Chopin programme.
And the thing i want to add: "Patrick, you are already a great skater, who did a lot for figure skating, you need nothing to prove. So, take a rest, and then calm down and skate for yourself, without pressure".

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Perfect! Great to know he will be back, and I hope he enjoys his time off the ice. And of course declining the founding was lovely :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
How can he compete against the big boys without a coach to improve his spins, up his jumps and fix his lutz and axel.

unico

Final Flight
I'm curious to see how a more mature, less-scrutinized Chan will compete. I mean, who knows what will happen one year from now and if he'll actually stick to his word, but I look forward to his return.

How can he compete against the big boys without a coach to improve his spins, up his jumps and fix his lutz and axel.
LOL

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

:laugh: There is so much lulz at this statement it's not even funny.

Something tells me Chan will do just fine against the "big boys", being the big man, himself. One learns a few things or two in the course of winning 3 World championships and setting World record scores.

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh: There is so much lulz at this statement it's not even funny.
Something tells me Chan will do just fine against the "big boys", being the big man, himself. One learns a few things or two in the course of winning 3 World championships and setting World record scores.
Yes, I mean, seriously, PChiddy is still the best all-rounded skater out there. If he returns, that will be great for the sport.

noskates

Record Breaker
I just want to say that I'm sooo glad this thread hasn't degenerated into a hate fest. Whether you like Patrick or not there's no denying he is an awesome skater. He's the most well-rounded skater out there having both the technical AND the presentation AND the maturity. I just feel like the Olympic year wore him down. And, quite frankly, except for a few smallish mistakes he would have won the OGM. I cannot imagine the stress he must have been under when he took the ice.

Go Patrick. Show them.

alebi

Medalist
I said it right after Olympics, that Chan needed an year off to rest and come back maybe stronger. I'm interested to see if he's using this year to grow artistically and try different way to perform.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Not a fan of his skating. Just not my cup of tea, but I do agree that his presence does make things more interesting for spectators. The rivalry is more exciting when he's around.

Icey

Record Breaker
I just want to say that I'm sooo glad this thread hasn't degenerated into a hate fest. Whether you like Patrick or not there's no denying he is an awesome skater. He's the most well-rounded skater out there having both the technical AND the presentation AND the maturity. I just feel like the Olympic year wore him down. And, quite frankly, except for a few smallish mistakes he would have won the OGM. I cannot imagine the stress he must have been under when he took the ice.

Go Patrick. Show them.

This was his second Olympics, so one might think he had learned by then how to deal with the stress. Every skater at the Olympics was under stress. I certainly have no problem with his return. In fact, look forward to his new program. He does need to do some tidying up of his technique. After the Olympics, I can't imagine he doesn't realize that. I wonder if he does not do well in the year of his return to competition if he will decide to retire. I suspect that , like Kwan, the OGM is not something that will ever be in his resume. This Olympics was his "gold" year imo. In any case, following him will be interesting. That he has decided to discontinue training full run througs is worrisome to me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This was his second Olympics, so one might think he had learned by then how to deal with the stress. Every skater at the Olympics was under stress. I certainly have no problem with his return. In fact, look forward to his new program. He does need to do some tidying up of his technique. After the Olympics, I can't imagine he doesn't realize that. I wonder if he does not do well in the year of his return to competition if he will decide to retire. I suspect that , like Kwan, the OGM is not something that will ever be in his resume. This Olympics was his "gold" year imo. In any case, following him will be interesting. That he has decided to discontinue training full run througs is worrisome to me.

Well, it's a lot less stressful not having the expectations on him in 2010 that he faced in 2014 considering he was a heavy favourite. I think the Olympics wasn't so much a technique thing as a mental thing. I mean, the 2A error was rather telling.

It's hard to say if the OGM will ever be in his resume, and indeed Sochi was his best shot, but I look forward to see where he's going next. I don't know if training full run throughs is completely important at this point in time.

anyanka

Record Breaker
He's a student at the University of Toronto right now and likely focusing on his future after his competitive career is over. Show skating does decently in Canada from what I understand, but is not major business the way it is in Asia and Europe. His father is a prominent corporate lawyer, so he is probably taking the year to explore that as a possible future option.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Patrick plans to come back could he get a real coach next time? His technical decline was obvious with Kathy Johnson and he was insane to not have had a real coach in Sochi. Dating her daughter wasn't a good enough reason to have her as a coach.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well, it's a lot less stressful not having the expectations on him in 2010 that he faced in 2014 considering he was a heavy favourite. I think the Olympics wasn't so much a technique thing as a mental thing. I mean, the 2A error was rather telling.

It's hard to say if the OGM will ever be in his resume, and indeed Sochi was his best shot, but I look forward to see where he's going next. I don't know if training full run throughs is completely important at this point in time.

You said all this before I had a chance to. I think Jason Brown is a good example of someone going to the Olympics with little or no expectations and having a great time, enjoying it, and not doing too bad on the ice, either. I think you can never get "used" to Olympic pressure. Patrick went into Sochi with the highest of expectations riding on him and mentally he crashed. But also - show me a skater who has perfect technique????? He has a lot of medals under his belt for having imperfect technique. Just saying..............

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. And show me even 3 jumpers in today's field that have perfect quads/axels/secondary triples (while executing intricate choreo).

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Really looking forward to seeing him at Japan Open.

It's good of him to actually announce the intention to return. For so many of the athletes declaring that they will take this season off, it is obvious that it is to retain sponsorship contracts which are often contingent on continuing to be a competitive athlete.