Nebelhorn Trophy 2014 report | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2014 report

Alex D

Record Breaker
When you interview skaters, what language do you use? Do you need translators on hand? I'm assuming you're multilingual, and some skaters will be more comfortable expressing themselves in their native tongue, especially if they're just learning and still improving their English (assuming that's a default common language).

I do speak German, English and some Russian. My Russian however isn't perfect so that I usually ask in Russian if its ok to speak either German or English ;)

I learned some Finnish too back when Susanna and Laura were still skating but its really poor.

If its a press conference with many journalists then I use English as other journalists want to understand the questions too and we usually have a person translating anyways so that I tend to just say a few words in Russian or German to introduce myself and break the ice and then continue in English.

English is my main language that I use, I always feel that talking in a language that most understand is a form of respect. Its funny because by doing so you also speak English to the Germans ;)

But as you mentioned many Russian skaters especially the young ones only speak a tiny bit of English / prefer to answer in Russian which is cool and understandable.

Its important to say however, that you cant approach skaters in the same way at every event. Nebelhorn works great there because we are all together and can chat, have press conferences, see each other in town etc.

Other events are different, so that you don't always have the chance to get in touch, plus it depends who the skater is. Its always easier to get in touch if you know each other, someone you never met before and honestly I am still new at the FS circuit is always more difficult as a lot depends on trust too. And skaters also have a right for privacy and I respect that. ;)

I am still learning a lot in regards of FS, every day at an event is a learning process and that process will continue for a long time.

If you then consider that I dont have the funds to visit more than 5-6 FS events a year + not always get a press ID - its a difficult and long process.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie may have the looks of a champion but unless she starts becoming a more consistent skater she won't ever be a champion. Her jumps have gotten worse under Frank and now they are as small as some of the other Ladies. Her big jumps and speed were her calling card and Frank has neutered them and given her pretty princess music not something bold and powerful which is what she needs. She's not Sasha or Michelle but he gives Gracie the same kind of programs which is baffling considering Gracie isn't a lyrical skater. She can do all the moves but it doesn't come off as authentic.

Icey

Record Breaker
Frank is good with a certain kind of skater, but imo he seems to try to fit anyone who comes to him into the same mold. Gracie should have stayed with the coach she was with and worked things out imo.

Barb

Record Breaker
Rewatching her long program It was not so bad, probably Frank is trying she peak in the correct time. And her dress is a progress.

humbaba

Final Flight
Rewatching her long program It was not so bad, probably Frank is trying she peak in the correct time.

Yes, athletes do need to pace themselves over the course of the season. It's easy to lose sight of that. Rather than wringing our hands over the skaters who are currently rough around the edges, we might ought to worry about the ones who seem to have it all together already. It's hard to maintain that level of performance for weeks and months on end.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
But really, from all the reports it sounds like they spent that week focusing on her footwork sequence more than anything. I'm sure frank and gracie are aware her jumps need fixing, and are working on it... it's not like we (i.e., people in this forum) have more info than they do about what she needs to work on.... :p

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Thank you so much Alex for your insightful & humorous thoughts on your experiences at Nebelhorn 2014. An account written by a true figure skating fan.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Gracie may have the looks of a champion but unless she starts becoming a more consistent skater she won't ever be a champion. Her jumps have gotten worse under Frank and now they are as small as some of the other Ladies. Her big jumps and speed were her calling card and Frank has neutered them and given her pretty princess music not something bold and powerful which is what she needs. She's not Sasha or Michelle but he gives Gracie the same kind of programs which is baffling considering Gracie isn't a lyrical skater. She can do all the moves but it doesn't come off as authentic.

This is my biggest problem with Gracie. She looks polished and controlled with nice posture. Her program is nicely choreographed. The music (while ridiculously overused this season) is okay as well. I'm not a fan of the dress up close (best description I read was that it looked like spiders crawling up her torso) but from a distance it's nice. The packaging is all there and it's well-executed.

I just don't buy it. I don't believe Gracie when she skates. People have said nothing but nice things about her when they meet her in person which leads me to believe she's a nice/fun/sweet girl. Unfortunately, my impression of her when she's on the ice is that she's phony, pagaenty, manufactured and rehearsed. That's how she comes off to me when I watch her. I honestly don't think Gracie the person is any of those things; but that's my perception of Gracie the skater b/c that's what she comes off like she skates. Some may disagree, but I'm guessing the majority of people understand where I'm coming from. I want to like her, I really do. I think she's the biggest ball of talent the US has right now...but I just cannot get into her skating.

Frank and Lori have done this to her. They deserve praise for slowing Gracie down, smoothing her out, teaching her to sustain a movement, working on her posture and calming down her arms (still too flaily for my liking but they're better). But the image, music and persona they've slapped on her...it just doesn't fit. They're making it fit but, like Jammers said, it doesn't come off as authentic. I think it's possible for Gracie to skate to something that's a bit more upbeat, powerful or energetic and still maintain those cleaner aspects that Frank and Lori taught her. Akiko Suzuki anyone? She frequently skated to upbeat energetic music but keep the grace and control in her movements.

Frank and Lori should learn to think outside of the box they have labeled "female skater" in their head. They've turned dynamic, fast and powerful Gracie Gold into Generica McPlainnpretty...:disapp:

Alex D

Record Breaker
But really, from all the reports it sounds like they spent that week focusing on her footwork sequence more than anything. I'm sure frank and gracie are aware her jumps need fixing, and are working on it... it's not like we (i.e., people in this forum) have more info than they do about what she needs to work on.... :p

Oh they also worked on her jumps and a lot of other things, its very interesting to see them together and she is really trying hard to make it right and if it doesn't work the 5th time then she does it a 6th or more. That said, I wont go too much into details here - but I can say they really work hard ;)

Thank you so much Alex for your insightful & humorous thoughts on your experiences at Nebelhorn 2014. An account written by a true figure skating fan.

Your welcome ;)

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
Thanks, Alex, for your reports, interviews and background info. Vielen Dank, спаси́бо and kiitos ;)

:love: :love: :love:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest nothing was wrong with Gracie's jumps before she went to Frank. If anything it seems like he has tampered with Gracie's jumps by making them smaller and it's not working. You don't mess with a jumper as powerful as Gracie and tell them to cut back on the power.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
To be honest nothing was wrong with Gracie's jumps before she went to Frank. If anything it seems like he has tampered with Gracie's jumps by making them smaller and it's not working. You don't mess with a jumper as powerful as Gracie and tell them to cut back on the power.
Again though, I'm sure frank and gracie are aware the jumps, however they *may* have been tampered with, are a problem. I have faith that frank will sort it out to the best of his ability, and we all know he has the ability to produce champions.

Don't forget that even if over the past six months she's seen a decline, gracies peak at the US nationals and Olympics team event are in large, large part due to Frank. People may not like the Princess vibe they're trying to give off now, but it's better than, for instance, the complete lack of focus and image her original SP last season had before they swapped it out for Franks new sp for her.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Here is fan cam of Gold's free skate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM7NOpQPLVE

I have to say I really don't think this program takes her anywhere. It's generic skating - the music (which I am certainly tired of. There should be a .5 deduction for using Andrew Lloyd Weber schlock) seemed irrelevant. And, clearly not enough going on in the choreography to be competitive. Oh well, maybe they'll fill it out during the season.