03/04 Consistancy | Golden Skate

03/04 Consistancy

skatepixie

On the Ice
Im kind of bored and so Ive decided to see who is the most statiscally consisnant.

Sasha:

Cambells-attempted 6 triples, one error
SA -attempted 6 triples, one error
SC-attempted 6 triples, one error
TL-attempted 6 triples, one error
all three had sps with 2 clean triples
I dont have MKs jump count for the winter chalange. so I will not use it...
GPF SP-2 triples with one error
GPF LP-attempted 6 triples, 2 errors
Nats SP-2 clean triples
Nats LP-SA-attempted 7 triples, 2 errors
Worlds Q-attepted 6 triples, no errors
Worlds SP-2 clean triples
Worlds LP-attempted 7 triples, one error
Marshalls-7 clean triples

Total Attempted: 59
Total Errors: 10
Total Clean: 49
49 divided by 59 = .831
83.1% consistancy

MK:

Cambells: attempted 6, 2 errors
Nats SP: 2 clean triples
Nats LP: 6 clean triples
Worlds QR: attempted 6, 2 errors
Worlds SP: 2 clean triples
Worlds LP: 6 attempted, 1 error
Marshalls: 6 attempted, 1 error

Total Attempted: 28
Total Errors: 6
Total Clean: 22
22 divided by 28 = .786
78.6% consistancy

So....Sasha was statistically more consistant this season...

Pookie

Final Flight
Hmmm. . . let me guess. . . are you a Sasha fan? :laugh: :rolleye:
Isn't this kind of like beating a dead horse? (Pardon the terminology.)

berthes ghost

Final Flight
1. I have no idea why this is in "Voting Booth".
:laugh: :laugh: Nice try. I found the info easily on this very forum. :p
Sasha:
Winter - attempted 6 triples, four errors
MK:
Winter - attempted 6 triples, two errors
I'm no statistics expert, but I believe that one must compare apples to apples. Personally, I would only compare events they were both in. I also would only compare SP to SP and LP to LP.

SP: They seem to be equal by your equasions, so I'll just drop that as moot.

LP:

Sasha:

Cambells-attempted 6 triples, one error
Winter - attempted 6 triples, four errors
Nats LP-attempted 7 triples, 2 errors
Worlds Q-attepted 6 triples, no errors
Worlds LP-attempted 7 triples, one error
Marshalls-7 clean triples

Total Attempted: 39
Total Errors: 8
Total Clean: 31
31 divided by 39 = .794
79.4% consistancy

MK:

Cambells: attempted 6, 2 errors
Winter - attempted 6 triples, two errors
Nats LP: 6 clean triples
Worlds QR: attempted 6, 2 errors
Worlds LP: 6 attempted, 1 error
Marshalls: 6 attempted, 1 error

Total Attempted: 36
Total Errors: 8
Total Clean: 28
28 divided by 36 = .777
77.7% consistancy

So....Sasha was statistically more consistant this season...

Wow, shall we do this for every year starting with 2000? :laugh:

Ximena

Final Flight
when you count the errors, do you count a hard/weird looking landing as an error, despite the fact that the jump was landed?

skatepixie

On the Ice
I only count stepouts, 2 foots, falls, pops, and underrotates. Wonky landing isnt an error really, just a drop in quality.

My point is that people are always saying that Sasha is so very inconsistant, but this last season Sasha was more consistant than MK...

The past is the past...and its over...

apache88

On the Ice
Skatepixie:

I love statistics and comparisons so I love this thread.

Ok on to business. Skatepixie, your reason for not using the Winter Challenge is invalid. By hook or by crook, you have to get Michelle's jump count so that you can include the Winter Challenge in your comparison. Otherwise, it makes your way of comparing SC and MK look clumsy or blatantly selective or biased. Also, people will wonder if the true reason for omiting it is because Sasha fell 3x. If you want to compare, you have got to include all the competitions both have entered.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I love statistics too! How are these? Since sasha has clearly(cough, cough) won the jump consistency award she has earned the honor of going first.

On the left Sasha Cohen
National Titles - drum roll please 0
World Titles - drumroll again 0
what the heck Olympic Medals - 0

On the right Michelle Kwan
National Titles - Eight
World Titles - Five
and Olympic Medals - Two

Sasha O
Michelle 15

So IF Michelle retires tomorrow Sasha (IF she remains injury free and no one else beats her) will have the opportunity to tie Michelles National record in eight years, World in five, and Olympic in six.

Hmmmmm.

mpal2

Final Flight
Just out of curiousity because I like both skaters...

If this is one of Michelle's worst seasons and one of Sasha's best and Michelle was only 1.7% more inconsistent than Sasha this season, how hard will an improving Sasha have to work to beat a rejuvenated Michelle?

skatepixie

On the Ice
Being that Sasha is on the up spiral and MK is on the down...I wouldnt think it would be too hard.

Apparently...I wouldnt have any motive at all to keep the winter proam off the count. Sasha is still ahead even after it is added in...

smallsilly

Spectator
I must say I was PML when you left out the winter cheesefest. How convenient for your statistics? :laugh: Hey can someone do last year? That will be fun!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Apparently...I wouldnt have any motive at all to keep the winter proam off the count. Sasha is still ahead even after it is added in...

I just think it's funny that you chose to not count it because you felt like it. I think you didn't want to count it at first because you knew it would have hurt Sasha's percentage and helped Kwan's. It was only after someone else did the math adding the winter cheesefest and Sasha still ended higher (not by much), where you said you had no motive for not counting the winter competition.

Oh, skatepixie...you didn't really answer mpal's question because he was asking what would happen if BOTH Sasha is improving and Kwan is rejuvenated. So your comment (which is just your speculation and not factual) about Sasha being on the upward spiral and Kwan being on the downward one has nothing to do with the question being asked.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Being that Sasha is on the up spiral and MK is on the down...I wouldnt think it would be too hard.
Actually, both do the change of edge spiral, which I believe is a level 2 in COP, so I would think it very hard.

I know that people often call Sasah an "up" skater, meaning that her spiral is above the boot, all about extension, and MK a "down" skater, meaning that her spiral is below the boot, or all about her strong edge, but I think that they've both got pretty darn good spirals.

;)

smallsilly

Spectator
Anyone can make these type of stats in favor of their favorite skater. Here is another example.

Who had more falls in head to head competition in the 03/04 season

Campbells- MK 1 fall, SC 0 falls
Winter Cheesefest MK 1 fall, SC 3 falls
Nationals- MK 0 falls, SC 1 fall
Worlds LP MK 0 falls, SC 0 falls
Spring Cheesefest- MK 1 fall, SC 0 falls

Which brings us to a total of...

MK-3 falls
SC- 4 falls

Michelle's ability to stay on her feet is greater than Sasha's, as you can tell by my really kewl statistics.

***I did not include the QR round because Michelle and Sasha did not compete head to head.

See how easy it was to make my fave look "better"?
:laugh:

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
IMO this whole thread is silly. I mean skater X could have attempeted 7 triples and fell on all 7 in every program. That would make skater X 100% consistent. But that certanly doesn't mean that skater X is any better than Sasha and Michelle with only 70 something % consistnecy.

And actually SkatePixie, your equation is not determining the consistencly, it's determining the percentage of attemped jumps landed cleanly. consistency is totally different.

Last edited:

apache88

On the Ice
I disagree, BravesSkateFan. I think statistics like these can be used to measure consistency. In fact using any jump-related data is a good way of measuring a skater's consistency. However, because there are so many ways how the data is used and presented, to draw a strong conclusion, one has to analyse all these different statistics, some of which have been illustrated by you and smallsilly. What I find unacceptable is leaving out a certain competition just because a certain competitor's data is not available.

Now back on topic, the difference in consistency between Michelle and Sasha in this season was 1-3%. We can conclude Sasha was indeed more consistent. However, if I were Sasha and that my goal was to be more consistent than Michelle, this would not be an achievement unless the difference was at least 10%.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I'm not saying that you can't use jump info to determine consistency. What I'm saying is that I don't think this is the most accurate way to do it. The formula that skatepixie used showed percentage of jumps landed, not how consistly they were landed. Her stats show that for this past season Sasha landed more of her planned jumps than Michelle did. To show consistency you would need to use a completely different formula.
The main problem with determining consistecy is that you can be consistently good as well as consistently bad. If a skater never lands any jumps, they are consistent....but consistenly bad. If anyone is interested, I can talk to my fiance (a math geek..lol) and see about coming up with something that would accurately calculate a skaters jump consistencey while taking into account that more landed is better.