9 Maria CHUSHCHANOVA / Denis MINTSEV RUS 3 48.16

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Poor Sumire. I hate it when any pair is struggling like this:no:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Streams do work fine here.

So, this wraps up the pairs competition.

It was a great competition with lots of talent and lovely choreographed programs and sadly also a few tears. Tears of joys for the winners Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau, who scored a new PB with 174.10 while repeating their victory from the JGP in the Czech Republic a few weeks ago. The Canadians performed almost flawlessly with deep eye to eye contact, fitting to Peter Gabriels In your eyes. It was a very special atmosphere throughout their skate and as "I learned from my former visit in Montreal, everything is just awesome in Canada.

The 17 year old from Quebec, Julianne landed two triple throws (Sal & Toe) while both skaters received several level 4s for their other elements like the forward inside death spiral, or their axel lift.
One of their trademarks are the side by side jumps (triple Sal / double Axel - toe combination) but also spins which look incredible in sync.
Responsible for that work are Josee Picard, Marc-Andre Craig and Valerie Saurette, latter a former pair skater with Jean-Sébastien Fecteau in the 90s where they came third at the Canadian nationals.

Not third but second came the charming couple of Lina Federova and Maxim Miroshkin with a new PB of 162.12 points and the second best FS only trailing by about 10 points behind the winners. The Russians started off with an incredible high triple twist that even got a few 3´s in GOE. Besides that Lina landed bravely two triple throws, Sal & toe with huge smiles upon landing, latter a tad over rotated. The young lady from Moscow says about herself that spending some time with her dog Molly is what she loves most besides figure skating.

What impressed me a lot however was also Maxim, not only is he a very funny guy but also that he is able to do all those amazing spins - you could actually say he spins like a girl at times - great flexibility, something that the judges rewarded with a four for the side by side spin and a three for the pair spin.

Third came the only 14 years old Chelsea Liu together with Brian Johnson and a total combined score of 132.15. The Americans performed a level 4 Axel lift at the end which also was their best element today and I felt they had some really creative elements but need to work on their execution to polish them up a bit more. I liked their harmony on the ice and how their elements were presented to the crowd such as the double Axel - Toe combination and the Lutz which she sadly faulted.

I also want to point out that there were many other good pairs this morning, I really enjoyed the competition.

Full Details:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpger2014/jgpger2014_JuniorPairs_FS_Scores.pdf

1 Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU CAN 174.10 1 1
2 Lina FEDOROVA / Maxim MIROSHKIN RUS 162.12 2 2
3 Chelsea LIU / Brian JOHNSON USA 132.15 4 3
4 Daria BEKLEMISHEVA / Maxim BOBROV RUS 126.29 5 5
5 Hope MCLEAN / Trennt MICHAUD CAN 126.07 7 4
6 Maria CHUSHCHANOVA / Denis MINTSEV RUS 125.75 3 6
7 Lindsay WEINSTEIN / Jacob SIMON USA 115.81 6 7
8 Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR CZE 107.90 9 8
9 Sumire SUTO / Konstantin CHIZHIKOV JPN 103.08 8 9

gold12345

Medalist
Seguin & Bilodeau skated very well and showed improvements over their first JGP, including better unison on their SBS 3S and a more solid second lift. Their presentation looks more "Senior level" and more sophisticated than the rest of the Jr teams. They were clearly stronger than Fedorova & Miroshkin, who do 2A and 2F instead of SBS triples and look more Jr (although they did have a nice skate themselves).

With that being said... One judge gave Seguin & Bilodeau's 3Tw -1 GOE, and I don't know why more did not. In fact, three judges gave it +2, which is very hard to understand given the lack of height and Bilodeau's use of his shoulder to assist in the catch. They just barely got the full three rotations around. In comparison, F&M showed a nice high 3Tw with a great catch, and while they did receive +3s from the three judges who had given S&B +2s, I think there should be greater separation here. I think even +1 is quite generous for S&B's twist today. I know this is Junior level, but it's still the same scoring system.

And then there is an element like the SBS spins... S&B showed good unison and speed throughout the first half of their spins, but then had clear unison troubles throughout the second half of the spin. Only one judge gave them 0 GOE, but three judges gave them as high as +2s. They probably still could have won easily over F&M without the overly generous GOE. I know that they have to somehow reward S&B for attempting more difficulty than the more Jr-looking teams, and rightfully so, but I would just like to see their GOE be slightly more reflective of the execution.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The isu posted an interview with Julianne and Charlie's coach Josee Picard.
The story behind the music chosen brought me close to tears and it made the performance extra special. Its on the Junior Grand prix youtube page.

TMC

Record Breaker
S/B 's rate of improvement is dazzling. Compared to last year, the difference is ginormous. Even compared to the last event the difference is very noticeable.

They are absolutely a senior quality team at the moment (and I'm not saying they'd medal or anything, but they could make it to top ten for sure, top 15 at Worlds).

S/B 's rate of improvement is dazzling. Compared to last year, the difference is ginormous. Even compared to the last event the difference is very noticeable.

They are absolutely a senior quality team at the moment (and I'm not saying they'd medal or anything, but they could make it to top ten for sure, top 15 at Worlds).

I agree! They keep improving so much; and they are just so in-sync and connected this season. Their joy for skating together is so evident; and it makes watching them out on the ice together a blast. :love:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A fantastic skate by the Canadians for a well deserved victory. They could challenge at Canadian seniors, they had a better performance here than in their first event. From reviewing the protocols they only received one negative GOE (-1) from the judges and gained a total of 11 points in GOE, they actually had a lower base score than F/M but much cleaner exectuion of everything pushed them clear. I can't see them been being beat on the junior circuit this year.

F/M were much better today than in their first event. I still think their short is a much better vehicle for them than the free, to me it feels a little in unfinished or empty in places, also I think they skate a little slow. I really enjoy their SBS Bielmans but the spin always tends to end up a little out of sync. A greater problem for them is the lack of SBS triples jumps. I'm not sure I can see her getting them at all, her double jumps lack height (a similar issue for Maria V), the abscence of a triple jump will really be a problem in the senior ranks. He has also turned into a very good performer, early on I would have her as the star but not so much anymore.

Of the other couples, I like both B/B, they had good TES (two sbs triples) but they really suffered in GOE, nothing was really clean. I like the US couple, they done well to make the poduim. For B/M, I didn't like their version of the Schnitke the chirping were annoying, I think their lack of experience showed.

Does China really have no junior pairs to send to the JGP? I find that hard to believe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The isu posted an interview with Julianne and Charlie's coach Josee Picard.
The story behind the music chosen brought me close to tears and it made the performance extra special. Its on the Junior Grand prix youtube page.

Josee Picard's interview is here. So many videos are posted on the ISU JGP youtube account that it becomes annoying to find them later- particularly, as in this case, when the misspell someone's name.

Josee is :eek: Jose!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFbBg2tDzEc